Army drug use highest among Scots

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Airfix, Dec 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linkie:-

Now the thing that gets me is, you don't have to be a jock to be a jock in a frock in this man's army and just how many of these drugie scum are English, Welsh, Irish, Fijian etc.

More sensationalist crap reporting with no real substance from the Beeb :evil:
  2. Note to the C of C we do not want to serve with druggies. One fail and out on your arse.
  3. But Clive Fairweather, a former army officer who was also Scotland's inspector of prisons, questioned whether the approach should be reviewed.

"You don't get discharged from the Army for taking too much alcohol, unless you really get to problem stages, but because there's this idea that soldiers taking drugs are unsafe, drug-crazed soldiers, the public feel it's right that the Army discharges them," he told BBC Scotland's Politics Show.

"If, at the end of the day, you've got very few left in your Army and you can't do what you want to do, I think society's really got to ask themselves the question - would they give soldiers who've taken drugs another chance, perhaps two years later, when they can show that they're clean to come back into the military?"

More to the point, what is this man doing spewing rubbish? I would not feel happy serving with a soldier who had a drug problem-I have seen too many people deteriorate from perfectly reasonable chap to knob because of drugs. Futhermore, there are security considerations, not to mention the fact it's sodding illegal. I should rather see a smaller Army than lower standards! How many people thrown out of the Army for drugs would actually then come back after two years. You'd have to retrain for a start! Silly man.
  4. All I can say is thank fcuk Fairweather is no longer serving

BTW when he was inspector for prisons he'd never be off the news complaining about conditions in prisons where poor misunderstood paedos and murderers would have to p*ss and sh*t in buckets . Oh the poor things
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Do we as society treat the problem by dealing with the end result or do we deal with the cause of these problems?
    o be honest probably amongst our youth Jocks nationally as civvies may have a higher proportion of drug issues but surely the recruiters should be making this clear to them.
    Do we deal with it in service as a disease ie treat rather than the current ppractise of surgery which is to remove the diseased body?
    It wasnt a massive problem during my service but where I work you can go to prison for class C in your system if its an at cause testing.
    We run D&A screening regularly and everyone is used to it now! We also ran during the implementation period a system where you could confess and be treated. Does that happen in the mob?
  6. Drug use generally among Scots is high. The drunken Scotsman cliché is being replaced by the junkie Scotsman cliché. Junkies croaking in their 20s is probably a major reason for the plummeting life expectancy north of the border, especially around Glasgow.
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Airfix - can't see why you are calling this "sensationalist crap". The sad fact is that the Scottish Bns (along with whatever has become of the old Kingos) have a culture that includes drugs. It is a culture that reflects the casual acceptance in those parts of Scottish society that most jocks come from, of the use of recreational drugs. I personally don't believe those that are caught out using drugs have a place in the Army and should be discharged

I don't think it helps either that Scots Div traditionally treats its jocks as children. Everyone knows children will eventually rebel.

The dictatorial attitude that is the regime within Scottish Inf bns is a mindset away from that ,say in the Light Div, where lesson number one for the soldier was/is that of "you're a grown up, responsible for your own actions and we trust you to make the right decisions". I believe the Rifles experience of CDT is less strained than RRS, helped no doubt, by that reason.

Perhaps a change in culture could help the Scottish Bns. Trouble is, it would take years to do and I'm not sure it would do any good until Scottish street culture changed first.
  9. Give Scotland there Independance and then it becomes Alex Salmonds problem and not our's, as his manifesto quotes he will: Free to bring Scottish troops home from Iraq.

Maybe then that short fat cnut will then realise that their's more to leadership than just bumping your gums about independance and trying to con everone in Scotland about how rich the country will become after it has realised it's new found oil wealth.
  10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Arf. I see what you did there :D
  11. Are you sure about that?

What happens when the Scottish economy goes t1ts up? No Barnett cash, oil drying up, mafia cornering the market in Euro cash. Alex would be unable to pay his dole bill within a year.

Do we really want millions of starving Jocks menacing our own northern wastelands around Newcastle and Liverpool? Remember - they'd be in the EU so mining the border is not an option.

The incapacity benefit office in Carlisle would quickly be overwhelmed by tracksuited, red haired, junkies suffering from 'depression'.

As the Roman emperor Hadrian said when visiting his wall 'Why the fcuck is that ginger hedge moving towards us?'
  12. That could possible explain why while in Osnabruck 1 RGJ were subject to a one year Drugs surveillance with one of their soldiers being arrested in London with what was then a record quantity of Ecstacy.

Better still the video of soldiers from 3 RGJ in NI, including the on duty dog handler taking drugs in their barrack room and this wasn't the Scottish Green Jackets I'm referring to.

In fairness they were amateurs compared with 1 Kings.
  13. Have you lot not seen Trainspotting???? "Just one merrrr fcuking hit!!"

To be honest....if I were a Jock I'd take drugs too! I'd probably share needles!! Maybe try pushing the needle through pigeon shit, or the puss ridden anus of a cat before injecting my pasty skinned ginger mopped body!
  14. We wouldn't be that lucky :twisted:
  15. I think it all depends on what drugs are involved... Soldiers who smoke a bit of weed for instance should be left alone, but smack and crack heads for instance should be kicked out.

The funny thing these days is this, if alcohol was just discovered it would be a class A drug, like crack and smack...