Army Driving situation (recovery mechanic)...weird

#1
Ive done my BARB etc etc, and have a full driving license but I've got 6 points on it.
They said it has effected the amount of jobs open to me, obviously driving jobs... Im just confused to why Im not really able to do driving jobs because of my 6 points but CAN be a recovery mechanic, trained to drive BIG vehicles?! lol
 
#2
I know its confusing, Im offered job as recovery mechanic but not allowed to do stuff like driving in infantry etc because of the 6 points, which is a shame as i wanted to get some driving licenses as well as do some combat... I spose if i went infantry id still learn the basics like driving the landies etc? just not the bigger fun stuff :p
 
#3
i dont know tbh its not funny, its actually quite a pain in the ass, preventing me doing something i would have liked! oh well, just wondered if anyone knew recruiting criteria and if I could still get some driving licenses or experience in there? (if i went in as infantry not rec mech)
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#4
Platoon said:
I know its confusing, Im offered job as recovery mechanic but not allowed to do stuff like driving in infantry etc because of the 6 points, which is a shame as i wanted to get some driving licenses as well as do some combat... I spose if i went infantry id still learn the basics like driving the landies etc? just not the bigger fun stuff :p
So, let me see if I have this right.......your choice of career in the Army is totally dependent on what they will let you drive?
 
#5
nah, just its anoying/confusing why I can be a rec mech and not do any other driving jobs...
and also I was/am interested in doing combat driving job, but obviously that seems to be out of question atm, if i went and did rec mech and got the licenses (im sure they cover quite a few) then surely if i transfered id be fine/qualified to drive for combat?
 
#6
Must you encourage them?
 
P

PrinceAlbert

Guest
#7
Platoon said:
nah, just its anoying/confusing why I can be a rec mech and not do any other driving jobs...
and also I was/am interested in doing combat driving job, but obviously that seems to be out of question atm, if i went and did rec mech and got the licenses (im sure they cover quite a few) then surely if i transfered id be fine/qualified to drive for combat?
As a Rechy mech you'll get every licence under the sun, eventually.

What do you class as "combat driving"? I'm confused, and never heard that term before. Driving is driving, even on ops.
 
#8
PrinceAlbert said:
Platoon said:
nah, just its anoying/confusing why I can be a rec mech and not do any other driving jobs...
and also I was/am interested in doing combat driving job, but obviously that seems to be out of question atm, if i went and did rec mech and got the licenses (im sure they cover quite a few) then surely if i transfered id be fine/qualified to drive for combat?
As a Rechy mech you'll get every licence under the sun, eventually.

What do you class as "combat driving"? I'm confused, and never heard that term before. Driving is driving, even on ops.
You've never driven on the A1 Western Bypass during rush hour then?
 
#10
Go Recy Mech you'll never look back, and you get to "drive for combat" whatever that is.

As a Recy Mech you'll get the chance to serve with most cap badges over time and get to "do combat" as you put it.

No matter what job you choose you'll do some form of driving one way or another. If it's driving thats your bag then join the RLC.
 
#11
Oh fella, what are you on about? Yes some lads get to drive (think Johnston Beharry) but is that all you want to do in the Army?

SOunds to me like the recruiting staff have done you a favour. Not only will you be able to get qualified to drive some big wagons but you will also get a trade and in Recovery mechanic you have the chance to deploy forward (ie where the big bangs are).

Life is about more than just driving and combat fella.
 
#12
nah i mainly want combat but in the combat books ive been given says you can specialise driving..? lol
but yeah the rec mech sounds like a good job
 
#13
Platoon said:
nah i mainly want combat but in the combat books ive been given says you can specialise driving..? lol
but yeah the rec mech sounds like a good job
I think your very blinkered on these two points, driving and combat. If it's driving big trucks that flick your switch then go away and come back when you have less points on your licence, or if it's "combat" you want just go and join the Infantry, yes you'll be able to drive, mainly Landrovers, 4 Tonners and Warrior if you go Armoured Inf.

Besides don't worry about the combat thing, you'll get a bit of that no matter who you join these days.
 
#14
ok thanks for that, wasnt sure how restricted you were, but if in infantry you still get a variety n drive too etc thats fine, infantry is what im mainly heading for i think then if not reme..
 
#15
Platoon said:
ok thanks for that, wasnt sure how restricted you were, but if in infantry you still get a variety n drive too etc thats fine, infantry is what im mainly heading for i think then if not reme..
Sure but if you go Light Role Inf you'll be driving nowt, you'll be using your boots.

Just be sure what you want before you take the plunge.
 
#16
the plunge? lol ive always wanted to do infantry jus wasnt sure where in infantry, dont think id enjoy more office or worshop/class-based jobs, eg i was offered jobs in most areas including OPMI and Avionics technician and communications system engineer (got good BARB result, above 80) but i think Infantry is more for me
 
#17
Platoon said:
the plunge? lol ive always wanted to do infantry jus wasnt sure where in infantry, dont think id enjoy more office or worshop/class-based jobs, eg i was offered jobs in most areas including OPMI and Avionics technician and communications system engineer (got good BARB result, above 80) but i think Infantry is more for me
Then go Recy Mech then you get attached to the Infantry then drive/operate Warrior, see all the action you want while getting a trade while your at it. Or even go VM you'll get to see the same.
 
#18
is it a chance depending where your based or if theres a position etc if you attatch to infantry? because i want to know 100% il be involved with infantry work, its my main interest in the army, so that could be a very good choice depending on if its a definate position..?
 
#19
I have just read this whole thread, and that you were not offered anything more than puddle jumping wet sock amazes me. Please please tell me the corps is not so over worked that we NEED this kind of person?

Go away, jump in puddles, dig holes and fire your rifle, THAT WAY NOT THIS!!and enjoy the rest of your infantire life.FFS!
 
#20
TRAZTAZ said:
I have just read this whole thread, and that you were not offered anything more than puddle jumping wet sock amazes me. Please please tell me the corps is not so over worked that we NEED this kind of person?

Go away, jump in puddles, dig holes and fire your rifle, THAT WAY NOT THIS!!and enjoy the rest of your infantire life.FFS!
Well considering im fit and healthy, ive got grades, done well on my induction tests and scored 81 on BARB i think i WILL do well,
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads