Army Dreamers...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by LBdr_Pigshagger, Apr 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I could have been a Rock Star, but I didn't have the money for a Guitar....

But I digress.

Memo to my Brain. Could you please stop making me have 'Army' dreams. I've been out for eight years now, but no, you take over my subconsious in my sleep and make me believe I'm still in.

I'm a civilian now. Leave me alone.

Over the past year or so, I've been having regular and vivid dreams about being back in the Regiment.

My Rank and status vary, as do where (and sometimes who) I'm serving with, but these dreams keep bringing up various things that have been buried deep within my memory. Various little 'weird' things.

In no particular order:

* Putting a set of KFS into the side pouch of 58 pattern Webbing.

* Using a neatly 'folded down' sausage bag as a Laundry basket

* Folding red PT shirts with A4 Paper inside, locker layout style.

* Signing at RHQ for a post leave MMR claim (Paid in cash, obviously)

* Producing my little pink MOD 90 with the Black and white photo.

* Living in Bessbook Mill, which had be strangely relocated to Afghanistan.

For fucks sake, leave me alone!!!!

So come on, who else still thinks they're in, when they're pushing out the Zzzzzzzzz's?
    :D

2. I do. I have army dreams two or three times a week. Normally along the lines of being back in but missing all the kit - sleeping bag, boots etc. I can't seem to get anybody to reissue things. And I always miss the transport trying to get the kit together.

More of a nightmare really.

3. I do, too. I have one recurring dream of patrolling down a street checking vehicle licence numbers, etc. Nothing dramatic happens, but the scene is vivid as hell, right down to the sunshine coming and going as clouds pass, and the smells of car exhaust and cakes from a bakery. It was a bit unsettling at first as I couldn't link it to any obvious cause and wondered if I was starting to go mad.

Never got a post-leave Measels, Mumps and Rubella claim from my unit, though... :D

4. I dream of being a civvy :D

Not really, keep me in the land of LOA and cheap beer and petrol :wink:

MB

5. I do, wake up thinking FFS stop it. What i'm missing about being in i don't know.
    Leave me alone...

6. I repress most of mine.. probably saving them in my sub concious for some very expensive therapy sessions later on in life... HELP ME !!!

7. I dream of how I'm gonna get away with another week of undetected crime. lol. And what could have been if I studied at school and didn't have to live in the mud and be dirty, cold and hungry... no buggar that, that's life eh? :D

8. Mate, I know people who are living your dream in real life. They are normally commissioned officers.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Wow...totally of my radar, I reckon the last time I watched this was when it was on TOTP in the 80s...scarey...I love KB too, especially the tune she did with Gabriel...

10. Yes for quite a few years I was plagued with dreams about being back, but called up or rejoining not back in the day

All my dreams had the following characteristics (sp)

1. I either didn't want to be there or was anxious at being back
    2. I was supposed to be somewhere but wasn't and subsequently had missed the transport
    3. Fred had resigned his commission to be BSM again

Cold sweat I can tell you but I read the signs and knew what they meant and you do to so gert your arrse down to Grove Park and I'll see you in the Hebs

11. Bp20

Spot on mate, good to see this vid after over 20 years. I always "liked the look" of Kate Bush.

Funnily enough, the last time I saw the F&M skills of the guys in the video it was in the form of the Gurkha Demonstration Company at Brecon during my 4&5 in 2000.*

DH

* Just re-read this and I sound like a name-dropping cunt. Comment stands though.

12. Thanks for that, that did get the memory going. I've never seen the video. I hadn't missed much, that's what happens when you give a bunch of pouffy actors shiney new uniforms and toy guns and tell them to act like soldiers. I've got the LP, it hasn't been out in recent decades. Kate Bush was barking, the SLR percussion did catch one's attention.

I had a few panicy awakenings when, one second I was asleep in my sleeping bag and starting to realise my SLR was missing, and the next second woke up in bed. The most graphic one was just after I'd come back from RAF Abingdon; there was a main line railway near the house. A train going up the line was, I thought, a Hercules taking off. Whilst it was doing that, another Hercules, going the other way, landed on the same runway. Holy shit, that scared the crap out of me.

Nothing like that usually. I suffer recurring, vivid nightmares in which I've got an exam the next day and I haven't done any studying.

13. Never dreamt about Crabair till I read this thread. Woke up sweating as I was late for work and already restricted to camp area. B'strd

But what a feeling when I remembered I was no longer crabair. Brilliant

14. Maybe you should have been a politician, or didn't you have a proper education...

Actually, perhaps you just had too much integrity.