Army Doc voted Hospital Doctor of the year.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by WhiteHorse, Jan 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well done all, and a bit of good news about the Army at last :thumright:

BBC story
  2. Congratulations to Col Hodgetts and his team! :clap:
  3. Congratulations to the Colonel and his team!!

I hadn't realised things had changed so much in military first aid. When I was in we were first taught the use of tournequets and then told that it had been abandoned - we were also taught to use first field dressings and put one on top of another when the first was saturated. Bandages that help clotting and a liquid that brings it on!!

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This was reported some time ago, and whilst not detracting one iota from Col Hodgett's work (and that of the rest of the DMS), it's worth noting that from the outset on Telic (and other ops), medical care has generally been extremely good. However, there is more in the media again today about the way in which service personnel have not been cared for as well as they might back in UK - hence MOD's re-release of this puff-piece.
  5. msr

msr LE

Worried by these figures, Colonel Hodgetts' team looked at what could be done and recommended all soldiers should be supplied with a special combat tourniquet that can be used with just one hand - meaning that a soldier can apply it to themselves while still under fire.

Have these been issued yet?

6. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

We were trained to use the tourniquets and Quikclot halfway through TELIC 5; then they were withdrawn before general issue. I think that it was said that the MOD was not quite sure that they should be used before further trials.

Joined up government in action; one man's UOR is another man's Health and Safety qualm!

Anyone who has sat through the Quikclot video and watched a pig's femoral artery being cut and the bleeding stopped with the aforesaid powder will not easily forget the sight.
  7. That is amazing