Army Doc uniform Q

Are there many of you that carry a 'swagger stick' or cane when in your uniform? I'm talking barrack dress here - shirt and OGs. Saw a doc yesterday with his and I was a bit confused with that one.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are you sure it wasn't a large rectal thermometer in a wooden case?

Forastero

LE
I saw a half colonel the other day in CS 95 and a side hat! What a tube! I quite like side-hats but this goon looked utterly ridiculous. As far as I know, the only Regiment that wears a side hat with CS 95 is the QRH. Anyone else know any different?

As for swagger sticks, I have one but the only time I ever used it was when in barrack dress inspecting recruits at an ATR. Other than that, never use it. Where did you see this particular chap? If you clocked him in a hospital with it then very suspect indeed!

Mr_C_Hinecap said:
Are there many of you that carry a 'swagger stick' or cane when in your uniform? I'm talking barrack dress here - shirt and OGs. Saw a doc yesterday with his and I was a bit confused with that one.
Most of them bearly know how to put on a uniform let alone get confuced with a swagger stick

Maybe he'd just removed it from somewhere the sun don't shine!!!

I would imagine its the Regt he/she is posted to (Women with riding crops, jolts a memory or two)

C95 is barrack dress - a very scruffy form, but still barrack dress

side hats ? dont you mean cnut caps?

I know of an RMO who with the Gurkhas wears a Gurkha cap badge! Their TRF we can let slide, but another regiments cap badge? Delusions me thinks.

Sure he wasn't an MSO rather than an MO?

From what I've seen, Docs tend to do their own sweet thing when it comes to uniform, amongst other things (well, when attached to non-medical units)... and no-one thinks it's worth the hassle to correct them (and cos no-one from those units knows/cares what it should be).

Mr_C_Hinecap said:
He wears cav boots, OGs, cream shirt. He isn't currently with a regt - so can only assume his last posting was reet posh.
Cav boots? I know that male RAMC Officers of Field Rank can wear spurs with Mess Dress etc (obviously would look a bit silly for the females!) as the RAMC are officially designated a mounted corps.

I remember a two pip Pharmacist recalling how when he was Orderly Orifice at Grimley Dark, he put on his double soled shoes, barrack dress trouosers, shirt tie and jumper and 'swagger cane' to visit a squaddy who had been admitted. 'This soldier knew he was being visited by an Officer!'

'w anker' more like

I understood that trousers which look like the old 'lightweights' but without the pockets are now issued as 'barrack dress', to be worn with a Service Dress shirt, stable belt and beret or Service Dress Hat (Side Hat optional) and including a Corps or Heavy Wool jumper & tie in winter or when it's cold!

Overalls and spurs are worn with Mess Kit (No 10 Dress) by L/RAMC offrs of OF5 and above, not those of field rank.
For me, wearing Service Dress trousers as barrack dress looks the smartest.

As for the Rattan Cane, it may be carried at the officers' descretion!

However, as ever I stand to be corrected by those posters with a greater depth of knowledge and experience in the AMS than me!

As a slight departure from this thread, have others picked up on the fact that since the demise of Uniformal / Van Dungie, one of hte AMS approved tailors now does the bulk of its work in Eastern Europe? I know several individuals who are currently without key items of kit as a result!

Scholesy said:
I understood that trousers which look like the old 'lightweights' but without the pockets are now issued as 'barrack dress', to be worn with a Service Dress shirt, stable belt and beret or Service Dress Hat (Side Hat optional) and including a Corps or Heavy Wool jumper & tie in winter or when it's cold!
Not sure about the tie, but the rest is as I've seen it increasingly at places like Northwood.

Scholesy said:
Overalls and spurs are worn with Mess Kit (No 10 Dress) by L/RAMC offrs of OF5 and above, not those of field rank.
My understanding is that RAMC Field Rank and above may wear spurs, just like other regiments and corps according to this, though it may be that only those of OF5 and above are required to do so (just like in the RN where OF4 may wear tailcoats and lightning conductors, but it is only mandatory at OF5).

Ties are worn with the RAMC jumper as it is v-necked but are optional with the jumper heavy wool. Fd Rank offrs wore the overalls and spurs a long time ago. The regulation is now as I have stated above ie OF5 offrs and above only. I believe that those OF3s who originally had overalls retained a grandfather right, but anyone still exercising that right is likely to be bullsh*ting!

Latest Threads