Army Deferral On Medical Grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

So first a bit of background I am currently going through the stages of joining the army, I have recently had my Army Brief and Face to face interview before assessment centre. During my admin part of the brief I happened to mention I have a blood condition which I was born with called Gilberts Syndrome. Now this blood condition doesn't require any treament and there is no medication for it. I barely get any systoms with my condition the only ones I get is; I go abit jaundice around the eyes an mouth and can feel a bit sick. Thats literally it and it doesn't impact my life in anyway. My army careers adivsior Sam from the Careers Centre I'm under rang up to check about it (so i'm not wasting anyones time). They came back and said I will get deferred straight away but I can appeal the process. Sam and my Candiate Support Manager both feel that a simple letter from my GP would suffice to appeal the deferral and they have no doubt that I will be able to join. As I know i'm getting the deferral they told me to do this straight away instead of waiting for the normal process of getting my medical history then sending me the deferral letter afterwards.

Fast forward to today, I have been to see my GP and he believes that the army will send him a letter asking for him to disclose about my medical history (Which I know is normal) but then he said in that letter they will ask about my gilberts syndrome. He said he is more than happy to write down the 'facts' then leave it up to the army to decide. Is this correct or should I wait for my deferral letter and get an additional note from my GP explaining that the condition doesn't affect me and in his oppinion I am medically fit to join.

Hope that all makes sence.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Take a look for JSP 950

also take a look at the thread all about medical matters

Good day sir/madam

Status
Not open for further replies.