Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Army Darganisms.......

When I first read the daily occurance book as a fresh young subbie I was surprised at how similar everyone's hard writing was. It took me a while to realise what a muppet I had been!

I initialy found the idea of writing with a ruler amusing, but now find myself using it occasionally. I have (in the terminology of this thread) a 'real education' but my hand writing is like a arthritic doctor's.

So I am a frequent user of the ruler when writing in reports. Not exactly a 'darganism'

One that gets me every time is 'yous'. Why can't people realise that putting an 's' on the end of 'you' is not necessary for it to be used in a plural context!

Back to topic:

Scottish RSM (on the subject of lost ancillaries)

"The Malays are a verra indigenous people,if youse drop a magazine in the jungle-they'll mak a rifle to fit it"

A particular favourite as Orderly Officer was checking the occurence sheets in the jail. The following line was had me in stitches:

"At 0035 hrs the fire alarm sounded and I ordered the evacuation of the jail. I entered cell number 1 and aroused the prisoner and told him to evacuate the building"

I'd have thought that the imperative would have been to get the prisoner to stand up not to, ahem, stand up...

Cuddles said:
Well said Rocket Man...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Well done both Cuddles and RM for their forthright support of 'ruler writing'. Perhaps I am being a little harsh but I am sure that both find other habits of ORs to be a cause for levity, as they no doubt do ours.

BUT - to think that as an officer it is acceptable to use a ruler for writing - you have got to be kidding.

Yours hoping I have fallen for a wah

AY

i like the SNCO on Private Benjamin, warning the female recruits about unexploded ordnance on the training area:

"Be careful - most of them are inert, but some are ert." :)

ArmyYid said:
Cuddles said:
Well said Rocket Man...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Well done both Cuddles and RM for their forthright support of 'ruler writing'. Perhaps I am being a little harsh but I am sure that both find other habits of ORs to be a cause for levity, as they no doubt do ours.

BUT - to think that as an officer it is acceptable to use a ruler for writing - you have got to be kidding.

AY

Why, feared that using a ruler might stunt your incredible fluency and creativity?

It doesn't matter whether you use an AS90 to write loose minutes and get the massed choir of the valleys to sing it on national primetime TV. Doing it isn't necessarily funny, alll SNCOs do not do it, all SNCOs are not therefore funny. The funny ones are those who claim to have been having it away with Brian Ferry's missus behind his back...Hello SMIG J! what finally attracted her back to multi-millionaire rock star Brian?

The Provost Staff had put up a notice in the car park to the effect that cars were to be removed by a certain date because of a practice for the " Rememberance Parade", by order of the Provost Sergeant. As I was away I found a little note upon my return, inviting me to telephone the man himself, which I did. In the course of the conversation I mentioned the spelling mistake, in the hope that he would not show himself up in front of the assembled luminaries. The Provo Sgt thanked me for my concern, and assured me he would correct the error.

And so, a week later, a sign went up in the car park, enjoining its users to ensure it was empty in time for the "Rembrance Parade"...

Christ Cuddles you must have climbed a long way to get on that horse.

You seem to have missed the point. I said I found the use of rulers to write amusing. I know that not all SNCOs use it, but nonetheless it does cause a smile when I receive one that has been so written.

Is that an issue for anyone? Does it cause offence? I think not.

Do I believe that an Officer using one to write is wrong? Would I speak to an Officer who wrote to me in that manner? Yes and too blo*dy right I would.

Yours looking forward to more morality from on high.

AY

Cuddles said:
ArmyYid said:
Cuddles said:
Well said Rocket Man...

AY

Why, feared that using a ruler might stunt your incredible fluency and creativity?

It doesn't matter whether you use an AS90 to write loose minutes and get the massed choir of the valleys to sing it on national primetime TV. Doing it isn't necessarily funny, alll SNCOs do not do it, all SNCOs are not therefore funny. The funny ones are those who claim to have been having it away with Brian Ferry's missus behind his back...Hello SMIG J! what finally attracted her back to multi-millionaire rock star Brian?

Sadly Yiddo, I don't think there's a wah involved - just a right royal flash up.

Cuddles please - don't be so precious. Sit back and enjoy the delicious irony!

Friendly_Fire said:
"Ich bin ein berliner"?

That must take the biscuit. Or doughnut.

FF.

wiki:

Urban legend:

According to an urban legend, Kennedy made a slightly embarrassing grammatical error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner," referring to himself not as a citizen of Berlin, but as a common pastry:

Kennedy should have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin." By adding the indefinite article ein, his statement implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jelly doughnut".

The legend stems from a play on words with Berliner, the name of a doughnut variant filled with jam or plum sauce that is thought to have originated in Berlin.

In fact, the statement is grammatically correct and cannot be misunderstood in that context. The urban legend is not widely known in Germany, where Kennedy's speech is considered a landmark in the country's postwar history. The indefinite article ein can be and often is omitted when speaking of an individual's profession or residence (ex: "Er ist Soldat" for "He is a soldier") but including it is merely redundant, not ambiguous.

The origins of the legend are obscure. One prominent instance of its re-telling was in 1988 when William J. Miller erroneously wrote in an April 30 New York Times article:

What they did not know, but could easily have found out, was that such citizens never refer to themselves as "Berliners." They reserve that term for a favorite confection often munched at breakfast. So, while they understood and appreciated the sentiments behind the President's impassioned declaration, the residents tittered among themselves when he exclaimed, literally, "I am a jelly-filled doughnut."

In fact, the opposite is true: The citizens of Berlin do refer to themselves as Berliner; what they do not refer to as Berliner are jelly doughnuts. While these are known as "Berliner" in other areas of Germany, they are simply called Pfannkuchen (pancakes) in and around Berlin. Thus, the merely theoretical ambiguity would have gone unnoticed by Kennedy's overwhelmingly local audience.

As for the creation of the speech, it had been reviewed by journalist Robert Lochner, who was educated in Germany, and had been practiced several times in front of numerous Germans, including Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt. The many video and audio recordings of the event show only enthusiastic applause following the statement. During the speech Kennedy used the phrase twice, ending his speech on it. However, Kennedy did pronounce the sentence with his Boston accent, reading from his note "ish bin ein Bearleener," which he had written out phonetically

When in OTC gun troop, our BSM always used to say "get it done ASP".

Us: "BSM, is ASP like ASAP, but only used in the Army?"

BSM: "Fcuk off, you necky student barstewards"...fairy nuff, we asked for it.

He was scary then and is now commissioned, so probably still is, even 9 years later. A great man and that phase always made us smile.