Army Curry

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Sandbanks, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This most probably in the wrong forum but will probably get the greatest number of viewings so nothing to lose.

As much as I love the hottest curry that Brick Lane has to offer, the sort that your ringpiece goes down to water in the bog to have a drink and remove the sting when your're having a crap the next day, there are times when I hanker for the sort of curry cooked up by the British Army. The sort of curry that was tailored for the palate of the Raj and was served up in messes across the UK and Germany after a church parade or the like. The sort of curry that came with little silver bowls of dessicated coconut, sultanas, diced cucumber and sliced banana. In fact, probably the first tasting of curry most of us had before the curry house explosion (pre-Japanese flag).

So does anyone from the ACC (as was) have any recipes that I can replicate at home, but using ingredient quantities for 4 people rather than 40, to rekindle those halcyon memories?
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have courtesy of the Mother in Law the Bde of Gurkhas cook book, I could dig out a copy for you!
  3. my mum STILL does the banana,sultana and coconut thing!! Called Sambals apparently
  4. Bloody marvellous
  5. A visit to my mate's dad's mess (Svy Regt RE) on Curry Wednesday was a major part of my decision to "Go Army"...
  6. We have a Rube at work at least once a week in the canteen and it is complete to CES with chopped Toms, Onions, Coconut etc.

Nostalgia inducing.
  7. Whilst on tour (not military) last year all the little fcukers with us where winging about the food we'd provide for them, so me an my oppo (ex REME) thought, fcuk em, we'll cook a nice little all in one pot curry for the little loves. we decided to base it around spam and vodka. trouble was they loved it!! now it's a firm favourite and we have to cook it at least once a month.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

And Egg, never forget the Egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, I went to Moguls in Blackwater on Saturday night after being at Bisley. Without a shadow of a doubt I can say that it was one of the best curries I have ever had; possibly the best, but that is vying with Mr Singh's in Glasgow and must be carefully considered.

The range is amazing with quite a few fusion concepts available as well,including the wonderfully named "Tiffin Time".

If you are ever near there try it.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I must get there to try that, I'm normally bladdered if staying over and usually for a dinner so a curry would be just OTT wouldnt it?
  10. Asked our unit ACC 'wishbone' what secret ingredient made Army curry different/better and he said he added a 2lb tin of issue marmalade to his concoction. Always brilliant and as has been said before the chopped egg/tom/cuc/raisins/coconut side dishes.
  11. It MUST go on Arrsepedia!
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its rather large, I can start scanning pages.
  13. I guess the marmalade makes sense as the closest I've come to recreating an Army curry is making a beef curry from a cook book and then 'anglocised' it by adding a couple of tablespoons of mango chutney. It would be really good if someone could come up with a start-to-finish recipe for one beef and one chicken curry. Other than that I'll be delighted if the army chefs want to keep the rest of their recipes to themselves (only joking chaps!!).
  14. Some of the best curries I've had have been knocked up by military chefs.

The worst curry I ever had was a fuking hot phal made by a civvy chef at HMS Sultan in Gosport. That was painful....
  15. mango chutney always goes in my mum's version...she got it off a ghurka in Hong Kong