Army Curry in The Bricklayers Arms, Putney

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Sandbanks, Feb 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was chatting to the landlady of my local in Putney yesterday and she mentioned that her chef was ex-ACC. So I told her about my thread on here about my search for recipes for Army Curry and asked tentatively if the pub would consider hosting a British Army Curry night. The curries have to come from the ACC 'Blue Book' - not the usual baltihouse affairs that most pubs replicate - and had to have all the trimmings - sliced banana, sultanas, dessicated coconut, chopped egg etc. She said if the chef was up for it, and the interest was there, then she would give it a go.

It would be a Wednesday night, it's a cracking little pub with a real fire, real beer and no undesirables. At the moment I am just gauging interest so if there are enough takers we should be able to go ahead.

The pub's website is www.bricklayers-arms.co.uk

Fancy it?

2. Can we please ensure that its authenticity is maintained by locating the hotplate in the car park, giving everyone the flimsiest paper plates possible and ensure that draught beer is swapped for lukewarm cans of either Carlsberg or John Smiths please

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Me'thinks that is about to change soonest :D

I may have been there to refuel after the odd boat-race in the dim distant past! Definately up for the curry idea, and good show for setting this up.

Ladies and Gentlemen courtesy of Sandbags, and to rival The Arrse Beer Crawls can we now declaire The Arrse Curry Tour well and truely open!!!!

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh dear it serves timothy taylor. I am in love!

5. I forgot to mention - they will be bussing in some nurses from the local hospital :thumright:

6. If it's a tour, I know an ok little place just off the M11 that serves a truely mediocre curry, with non-descript sides and moderate service. The beer is of distinctly average quality. I also spotted some cockroaches scurrying around the toilets, so it might not suit anyone who's particularly picky about hygiene.

Bricklayers sounds like a good option though :smile:

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Are you describing the whole of Cambridge, or just selected parts :)

8. At last, an excuse to use me 'freedom pass' and see what the inside of a bus looks like after 40 years. The 93 of 'ancock' fame stops just up the road.

9. And roughly on topic....... the Army Benevolent Fund are holding a sponsored Curry event later in the year. They have a free join up pack on offer with recipes.

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Thanks,
    Gonna see what I can do for that.

http://www.armybenfund.org/currylunchcurry.html

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I'll stand down the QA's from Rinteln.

12. What time would it start? If it's after 9.30 the local TA unit might be interested, seeing as Wednesday's drill night.

W Sqn RY

13. Where is the Bricklayers Arms in relation to the Aussie style pub (this was a few years ago so it may have changed) right beside the bridge where the Oxford - Cambridge Boat Race starts?

Brings back memories, myself and 2 mates travelled down to London to take in a big Event and watch 'in person' the start of the Boat Race, just before the start we were wondering why all the 'idiots' hundreds of them! were all on the other side of the bridge from us '3' it wasn't long until we discovered why! we were looking at two of the practice boats lining up on our side of the bridge when we heard the race start on the other side of the bridge and going away from us!!! Oh well, at least we were some of the first into the Aussie Pub, got a great seat in front of the large screen to watch the race and proceeded to get absolutely hammered (the outcome is another story).

The whole curry thing sounds excellent! well done to Sandbanks for starting it, this could well end up the start of the Greatest Curry Run Britain has seen.

Nice One...

Gundulph.

14. I can't see why not. You're just over the bridge and you'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail. I'll speak to the landlady this weekend and see if its a goer.

15. Can you arrange for a junior officer and a senior NCO to have a violent disagreement about two hours in? Also COs wife to be drunk and disorderly? Memories...