Army criticised in latest Coroner's Inquest

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fartsac, Aug 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies for my poor typing of 'Coroner'.
  2. Nobody (on our side) meant for it to happen. Ultimately, it's just one of those things.

Terribly sad for the family, and almost unfair of the system to paint his death in this way. It would be treated differently if it had been an their something they'd gone out to.
  3. Not sure what you mean,think autocorrect was on.
  4. Yes it would have been treated differently and rightly so. Blokes shouldn't be getting killed by IEDs whilst carrying out RSOI on ranges that were supposed to have been checked.

That it only took them 9 days to find a suitable location and set up a new range speaks volumes.
  5. I was there and in one piece when the incident happened.

It is quite clear that some of those in Bastion were unaware or unresponsive to the threat outside Bastion. They failed to take heed from some of the RSOI instructors with regards to the ranges used outside the wire.

Even when the incident was initially called in the was a big delay and a number of other **** ups about getting the relevant agencies deployed. As well as the device that functioned at least one other device was discovered by th C-IED team.
  6. I may be losing it, but - in the allegedly unlikely event that memory serves me well - there was an IED attack by PIRA, on the Black Mountain range used periodically by units operating out of West Belfast, back in the 70s. I think it was activated when Cadets were on the FP, but the point is that what happened in 2009 was neither new nor unforseeable, nor was the risk unmanageable.
  7. Totally diffrent scenario however there was also a VOIED attack at magiligan ranges one partially funcioned puting a RIR guy on his arse and covering him in HME with a second device being found by ATO this was 2001-2 .

Clear example in this case of complacency and going through the motions.
  8. The ATO in question was mad Jack, he got a QGM for the job. Other ATOs on here will know who I mean.
  9. At magiligan?

Strangly Enough i was on the cordon.
  10. Yep, wheely bin in range hut, pull VO to door.
  11. By boat from donegal and then draged accros the beach as I remember RIR swore blind all checks had been done at the time If they stuck to that in the post incident wash up I dont know.

Tragically Same lessons being relearned it seems.