Army criticised for not paying soldier

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#1
Found this little gem!

A BIRMINGHAM soldier was struggling with mounting debts today because Army officials have failed to pay him while he serves in Iraq.

Guardsman Gary Taylor, aged 24, has been in the war zone since March, but has not received a penny.

With no money in his account the soldier has been unable to pay for his life insurance policy.

Gary's anguished mum Anne-Marie, from Hamstead, Great Barr, said she was distraught over the treatment of her son, who serves in the Irish Guards.

The 46-year-old health care assistant said: "There should be something that they can do for him - after all he is in the middle of a war zone.

"He shouldn't have to have this stress as well. I have tried to sort things out from here with his payments, but no one will give me information because of data protection regulations.

"I don't think the Army have been very sympathetic. God forbid he gets shot or anything else happens to him - he hasn't been able to pay his life insurance."

Gary, a former Great Barr Comprehensive pupil, has received no pay for April or May.

Anne-Marie said her son's salary was about £1,000 a month ,and so he was currently owed £2,000.

He is now also facing at least £100 of debt due to bank charges on his account, and she fears his credit rating has been affected.

She said: "If things don't get sorted out soon he won't be able to apply for credit cards or get a loan. He is only allowed to speak to me for a limited time each week and he can't spend that time ringing up banks and sorting out bills.

"He is completely devastated. He has served the Army for six years and this is how they have repaid him."

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "Unfortunately, from time to time, mistakes do happen with pay. The matter is being dealt with and we can confirm that Gary Taylor has now had an interim payment made to his bank account."
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...objectid=19363780&siteid=50002-name_page.html
 
#3
Two Grand? That's about one round in Boujis, you would think that one of the Officers could sub the lad.
 
#4
Wtf man?! My bro serves with the Irish G, not exactly faith-boosting in the army's ability to keep his family back at home fed and watered.
 
#5
If true this is getting absolutely out of control now and someone at the top who introduced JPA needs sacking. I know he will be able to claim any bank charges in the end but as said you dont know how it will effect his credit ratings. Its also putting stress on family who dont need this when their sons fighting for this country. Somebody get a grip and stop us having to speak to a call centre when proffessional pay staff are not allowed to get involved.

Distgusting
 
#6
Am not shocked at all, currenlty having similar problems.

And places like the bank just do not care, when something creeps up on you unawares while your away, it takes forever to get any paperwork allowing someone to speak on your behalf sent back and even then being registered as a third party doesnt allow you to do all an account holder is able to.

Its is not the banks fault of course but there should be allowances for special circumstances.

not every soldier has the time before deployment to sort out all their personal affairs.

I would expect with this case any fees incurred will be payed for by the MOD and any affect on credit will be wiped clean, I wonder whether this will be the case.
 
#7
And they wonder why they're having problems with recruitment and retention?

Fcuking scandelous. :x
 
#8
The_IRON said:
If true this is getting absolutely out of control now and someone at the top who introduced JPA needs sacking. I know he will be able to claim any bank charges in the end but as said you dont know how it will effect his credit ratings. Its also putting stress on family who dont need this when their sons fighting for this country. Somebody get a grip and stop us having to speak to a call centre when proffessional pay staff are not allowed to get involved.

Distgusting
My bold

But we know that nothing will be done or head roll regarding the JPA problems! Its a shame that the press dont find inflameing this kind of story as satisfying as Muslim Drives 4X4 shock or Squaddies found drinking BEER when there digging for stories.


JPA and the like makes me realise just how lucky i am to be out : shakefist :
 
#9
The only way of obtaining satisfactory redress is to get wife/mum/hubby etc to feed the papers a "squaddie done over by MoD" story. Forget the chain of command!
 
#10
"A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "Unfortunately, from time to time, mistakes do happen with pay. The matter is being dealt with and we can confirm that Gary Taylor has now had an interim payment made to his bank account."

What a bone matter of factish statement regarding a soldier who is currently out there prepared to "pay the ultmate sacriface" - get a grip and get it sorted :evil: :frustrated: :pissedoff: :frustrated: :x
 
#11
an interim payment is no good! that does not solve the problem of sorting his wages. i too have not been paid since april but owed several thousand more than guy. i have now taken this to a form of redress and would advise this guy to do so too. hadsnt solved my problem yet but there a few 1 and 2 stars flapping a little with help from my coc and solicitor
 
#12
theflyinghandbag said:
"A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "Unfortunately, from time to time, mistakes do happen with pay. The matter is being dealt with and we can confirm that Gary Taylor has now had an interim payment made to his bank account."

What a bone matter of factish statement regarding a soldier who is currently out there prepared to "pay the ultmate sacriface" - get a grip and get it sorted :evil: :frustrated: :pissedoff: :frustrated: :x
A bit melodramatic I think. OK so there's been a cock up, someone is trying to sort it out. This is the price we're all paying for computerisation of everything. Someone somewhere presses a wrong button and things go pear shaped. I'm pretty certain if the lads mother sees his bank branch manager all charges will be dropped. You may not think it but the vast majority of the population are behind our lads we just aren't a very vocal nation who go round in sack cloth and ashes and wailing.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#14
Job for BAFF? Might be small beans in the great picture (lovely crap 8) but for this guy it is his world.
 
#16
Auld-Yin said:
Job for BAFF? Might be small beans in the great picture (lovely crap 8) but for this guy it is his world.
Seen, A-Y. BAFF would be prepared to take on his and other similar current cases, including lawyers letters, if required. The aim would be a swift and sensible resolution. He or they would have to be signed-up BAFF members, but in the circumstances I think we can come to an understanding about the subscription!

email info@baffhq.co.uk and mention this post.

D.Y. (BAFF)
 
#17
craftsmanx said:
theflyinghandbag said:
"A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "Unfortunately, from time to time, mistakes do happen with pay. The matter is being dealt with and we can confirm that Gary Taylor has now had an interim payment made to his bank account."

What a bone matter of factish statement regarding a soldier who is currently out there prepared to "pay the ultmate sacriface" - get a grip and get it sorted :evil: :frustrated: :pissedoff: :frustrated: :x
A bit melodramatic I think. OK so there's been a c*** up, someone is trying to sort it out. This is the price we're all paying for computerisation of everything. Someone somewhere presses a wrong button and things go pear shaped. I'm pretty certain if the lads mother sees his bank branch manager all charges will be dropped. You may not think it but the vast majority of the population are behind our lads we just aren't a very vocal nation who go round in sack cloth and ashes and wailing.
Until they fu ck up your pay? Or are you the one who should have pressed the right button?
 
#18
While on tour, the last thing anyone should be worrying about is whether they are gonna be chanred £35 everymonth late payment fees, you shouldnt be worrying whether you got cash in the bank.

Yeh im sure the bank would reimburse any charges (pretty positive they aint gonna just be handing it over though) but why the hell should you have to faff about with that while on r and r or leave.

Mistakes like this SHOULD NOT be happening while someones on tour, save the mistakes for another time.
 
#19
Rememeber how all the letters to Soldier complaining about pay were answered with 'When JPA comes in, this won't be a problem anymore'?

Well, JPA has not proved to be the panacea for all the Army's ills, soldiers still aren't getting paid properly (and more individuals than you would believe) and no-one is getting their goolies felt about it.

At least 'Ask Emma' from Soldier mag had the decency to do a runner when she realised that JPA was crap and she would become an Army hate figure.

If that Irish Guards fella had decided to stop working until he started getting paid, I wonder what would happen?

Just to expand this thread, is anyone else totally p!ssed off with the fact that when the Army screw up your leave plans by posting you to Iraq, BATUS or somewhere else at short notice they always say that you have to get insurance to cover your costs. Well, tw@ts - I haven't found an insurance policy that covers my b@stard employers not getting their act in gear. If the Army had to cough up for ever Toms ruined holiday they would soon start getting a grip on forward planning.

Rant over. :x
 
#20
Rudolph_Hucker said:
craftsmanx said:
theflyinghandbag said:
"A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "Unfortunately, from time to time, mistakes do happen with pay. The matter is being dealt with and we can confirm that Gary Taylor has now had an interim payment made to his bank account."

What a bone matter of factish statement regarding a soldier who is currently out there prepared to "pay the ultmate sacriface" - get a grip and get it sorted :evil: :frustrated: :pissedoff: :frustrated: :x
A bit melodramatic I think. OK so there's been a c*** up, someone is trying to sort it out. This is the price we're all paying for computerisation of everything. Someone somewhere presses a wrong button and things go pear shaped. I'm pretty certain if the lads mother sees his bank branch manager all charges will be dropped. You may not think it but the vast majority of the population are behind our lads we just aren't a very vocal nation who go round in sack cloth and ashes and wailing.
Until they fu ck up your pay? Or are you the one who should have pressed the right button?
No I'm not the bloke who should have pressed the right button I'm just a bloke who keeps things in perspective. Instead of all this talk about being PREPARED TP PAY THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE (you sound like a Mills and Boon writer) The bloke should be in his pay office kicking arse . I know having done the Cyorus troubles and NI that it's a ba****rd when these things happen but somebody has made a slip up with what appears to be a new system of pay that's all.
 

Latest Threads

Top