Army Convoys and HGVs on My road

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Selastra, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that Army Convoys have to be spaced out, with vehicles lights on and coloured flags but last week whilst on the A303 there was a convoy and nobody would overtake, move back into the nearside lane, until they were past the convoy despite there being ample room between vehicles.

Why do they do it that way? And If I wrote to my MP about it, would it make any difference safety wise if Army vehicles closed up a bit more to shorten the foad foot-print and thereby lessen the congestion?

Also why do lorries in general in this country try to overtake on a hill and fail, making drivers frustrated and leading to some idiots taking risks that affect us all? I remeber in Germany that HGV's were prohibited from overtaking on certain stretches of road, and also at weekends and Bank Holidays they were kept off the roads. As for Army convoys at least 7 years notice had to be given, with hostages offered to ensure compliance etc Why couldnt that work here?

I happen to spend a lot of time travelling at the moment, and I know lorries are governed to 56 Mph in some cases so overtaking shouldnt be an option for them. As for foreign lorries.... dont even go there!

I'm sure that those people who drive Morris Minors at 40 mph on motorways and dual carriage ways could be driven over by said HGV's without there being an outcry from the motoring public if that would help.
  2. Wait till your following a convoy of HETs up the M4 with Challengers on the back. Thats the only time I seen the entire middle lane of the motorway clear as nobody wanted to get anywhere near them.....
  3. Well said your Madge, F'kin proles driving on your Road. - Muppet :wink:
  4. They are spaced out like that so that in a ombat situation, they are best placed to react to an ambush.
  5. does that happen a lot on the A303 or indeed any other road in UK?
  6. FFS is this a real live thread? Will force ebbing as I type.
  7. I've often thought that to flag the last vehicle is madness, just an invitation to pick off the easiest target.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You'd be surprised only if you weren't aware of 'terrorrists' and roadside bombs. The spacing of the vehicles is there for two reasons. The first is in case there is indeed a bomb or some sort of attack on the convoy, which is a likelyhood, even in this country for obvious reasons, so OPSEC must be applied here also.

The second, and IMHO more valid reason is that Army convoys generally travel quite slowly, are on the road for long periods and the fecking RLC tw@ts keep falling asleep at the wheel, or at best lose concentration. Thus, the greater the spacing, the more time they have to wake up and smell the coffee if the convoy comes to a sudden halt. Just a thought.
  9. not surprising!!!!
  10. Ahhh the A31 incident per chance?
  11. Perhaps self-important prick should travel by train? WAH! WAH !!
  12. Aren't ALL vehicles meant to be spaced out?. When the army does it, it seems to freak people out.

Best convoys I ever saw were Frog CRS (sort of riot police) on one of their motorways - c20 veh each at c80mph and 5 yds between each.

Worst convoys I ever saw were returning from Lionheart in 84? - everone limited to 30mph and totally knackered. Kept awake only by the foreign truckers playing an airhorn symphony. Most alarming drive I've ever done
  13. They spread out like that precisely so that you can overtake them safley, by pulling in to the gaps between the vehicles.

The problem is that other road users are cockweasels and shouldn't be allowed at the wheel of a sacktruck, never mind a car.

There is also an element of training for war.

Now, to the Hole D'Artagnan!
  14. anything happen to the dvr other than a good ribbing off of other dvr's?