Army/Civvy Dictionary - Job related

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by OBESEMECH, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had a look round the forum and haven't seen anything like this really and thought it could be useful. (Correct me if I'm wrong MODs?)

If you are having difficulties Civvy-ing up your CV, let me know and I'll see if I can help. Having spent many years translating military speak into civilian NVQ speak and back again, I think I have a flair for the cunning linguists. Likewise anyone else who's any good at this feel free to contribute.

Either message me or reply to this thread and me or anyone else in the know will do our best to help you out.

If it works, we'll refine it and I'll put together a full Job related Army/Civvy Dictionary document together and find a way to give it away.
  2. L/Cpl = Team leader
    Cpl = Team leader/ Team manager
    Sgt = Department manager
    SSGT or CSgt = Senior department manager
    SSM or CSM = Operations manager
  3. 2Lt & Lt = Manager
    Captain = Senior manager or operations manager, Chief Operations Officer (COO)
    Major = Director, managing director, Chief Operations Officer (COO)
    Colonel & = Senior Director, Executive Director, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
    Lt Col
  4. Good time keeping = Excellent time management

Working on your own = Confident & competent of working independently

Working with others = outstanding teamwork skills

Getting the job done on time, to the right standard = Experienced in completing projects to the required specification under significant time pressure

When the stuff hits the fan = Able to react to rapidly changing situations and continue making project related progress

Good at reading, writing and maths = Excellent numeracy and literacy skills

Can use the internet = Excellent IT and online skills

Done lots of courses and have lots of certificates = A proven record of CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

Anything to do with the stores = experienced in the distribution and allocation of resources.

Organised a pi55 up, leaving do, minor sports event = Project planning, design and completion.

Following the manual = Conforming to and working within strict guidelines

Solving a problem = creative solutions to challenging situations

Making the vehicle ready and reliable = Effective transport resources management
  5. Qualities involved in the training of others =

Coaching, Mentoring, Assessing, Teaching, Instructing, Feedback, upholding standards, maintaining ongoing quality assurance, increasing personnel effectiveness
  6. Erm... with the best will in the world, I think you're off the mark there Obesemech. I wouldn't employ a Captain, Major or Lt Col as a COO for a start! And in the outside world a good number of NCOs can achieve far more than they have previously in the mob. I really can't see the point of a "dictionary" - life outside is far more complicated than some kind of rank-equivalency table implies.

I'd strongly reccommend anyone leaving the forces to avoid looking for obvious equivalencies. Its pointless and misleading. Far better to think about 3 key things - who you are, what skills you have to offer and what life you're aiming to achieve.

Thinking about those at length, and coming up with a strong idea of who you are and where you're going is half the effort when resettling. There aren't any shortcuts - if you ask / pay anyone else to do it for you, you're missing the point. The other half of the effort is the persistence and ingenuity to successfully sell yourself to the right employers, or to employ yourself.

The best resources for your resettlement aren't expensive. Help from the CTW / Officers Association is basic but free. The best advice, leads and insights into civilian life come from ex-soldiers in business. Their time comes no cost but that of some phone calls / pints / cups of coffee.

Just my two-penneth

7. If someone could put the general topics included in MATTS/ ITD's or what ever they're called these days and I'll have a go at civvy-ing them up as well
  8. Charlie, I couldn't agree more with you.

You have absolutely nailed it on the head with regards to who you are, what your skills are, which direction you want to go in and that the best source of advice is the people who have been through the process themselves. And to prove how much I agree with you, you can see for yourself here

However, having dealt with literally hundreds of Soldiers leaving the Army, a major sticking point is always the language used within their CV's. Some people leaving the Army have never had to write a CV before and when the majority of experiences use language that is unique to the military environment, it doesn't hurt to have some information here that will help them.

This pokey little thread on this forum isn't going to revolutionise the trainsition to Civvy Street, but for some it might help a little bit, and thats all I want to do. But I take on board with what your saying, there is no direct correlation between military rank and Civilian job title, it IS far more complex than that.
  9. I think this is a pretty good idea.

About the only thing I found useful during my CTW workshop when going through resettlement was a ringbinder someone had made up containing something similar, as well as the dictionary type entries it also contained translations of military job specs to civvy roles, although these things always need a bit of tweeking depending on the organisation your aiming at it was a great help in getting the cogs turning and my C.V prepped.
  10. Thanks fatboy69, I don't suppose you've still got that folder have you?
  11. Qualities involved with teamwork =

Communication skills, interpersonal communication skills, group problem solving, task oriented work ethic, trust, delegation, shared responsibilities, motivation, standardisation, planning, organisational skills.
  12. Sorry, no, I updated it as best I could for Royal Sigs trades and left it on one of the shelves in the CTP building in Catterick.
  13. Qualities involved with Leadership =

Vision, self discipline, effectiveness, direction, purpose, humility, adaptibility, integrity, foresight, high moral values, courageous, risk taking, realistic, committed, passionate, responsible, focussed.
  14. Qualities involved with management =

Efficient, procedural, controlling, methodical, systematic, speedy/swift, practical, task focussed, accountable, reliable, competent, delegation, conforming.
  15. I must say, that no matter how well intentioned, this thread is descending into a bit of a self worshipping exercise.

If you doubt your ability to write an effective CV seek professional advice.