Army chief: we won't win wars if we are cut again (Spending Review 2013)

Fire chief: we can't fight fires & save lives if we are cut again
Police chief: we can't prevent crime & protect the population if we are cut again
NHS chief: we can't provide quality healthcare & life saving operations if we are cut again

Obvious reaction to facing having your budget slashed really.

Would the General care to tell us which conflicts we have won recently?
"We" :) ?

Would the General care to tell us which conflicts we have won recently?
We won the cold war....then the Germans simply invited the Russians in....we handed them our technology...and they bought our politicians. Now they control the energy supply.

Well done NATO!

Police chief: we can't prevent crime & protect the population if we are cut again
NHS chief: we can't provide quality healthcare & life saving operations if we are cut again

Not that obvious as I think he is the first one to mention it for a while.

So you weren.t part of the cold war then?

Claim Iraq as a victory is like saying the Germans won World War One & Two as they did quite well for some of it.
Except it's not as Germany wasn't on the winning side. Winning both World Wars were probably pretty inevitable by the end thanks to a starving German population (WW1) and the massive Soviet numerical superiority and Allied air dominance (WW2). Does that mean we didn't win them?

I like the qualification on Afghanistan and Iraq... And Northern Ireland was a win?
The enemy agreed to give up their armed struggle, hand over weapons (notwithstanding opinions on whether they handed in their best guns or not) and abide by the rule of law and the decisions of democratically elected politicians. Sounds like a win to me.

D

Davetheclown

Liberation of Kuwait, Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan (invasion) and Iraq (invasion).

Liberation of Kuwait = Land battle won, took a long time to actually subdue Iraq many years later

Northern Ireland= We banged up loads of terrorists that murdered hundreds of our troops and innocent people, we let them out, gave the QMs, CO, and OC, of this terrorist organisation equal political status. Who really won?

Bosnia= They realised in Bosnia that if they can act peaceful for thirty years they can benefit within the EU, it will boil over again,

Kosovo= See above

Sierra Leone= we were a thorn in the side, that was all, it will kick off again.

Afghanistan= I think we have been at war with this cesspit for over three hundred years, not won yet

Iraq= Iran won the power play on this one,

Next time you take your tablets take water with them,

Winning part of the wars of Iraq and Afghan don't count neither were ever in doubt with American firepower. Claim Iraq as a victory is like saying the Germans won World War One & Two as they did quite well for some of it.

so Sadam is still in power and OBL is still being hidden by his chums in the Taliban who are running the country? No? Then I guess you're talking shite then

The enemy agreed to give up their armed struggle, hand over weapons (notwithstanding opinions on whether they handed in their best guns or not) and abide by the rule of law and the decisions of democratically elected politicians. Sounds like a win to me.
Pick BBC Radio Northern Ireland there is continuing violence there, low key, but on-going.

However, to qualify my first posting, I did say recent... :)

I know. I live here. It's a small number of hard line holdouts. /QUOTE]
I am not trying to prolong the theme. I take your point. However, it is a moot point whether NI was a clear cut win. Now back to recent conflicts... I would go with Dave the Clown that Iraq was a win for Iran and in now way can Afghanistan be called a win - partly because we are still there, and on withdrawal, the future is far from certain.

Is the General about to retire?

Hardly a good way to secure his peerage!

PS

Winning a modern counter-insurgency war is very subjective. If you lose one you certainly know about it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
so Sadam is still in power and OBL is still being hidden by his chums in the Taliban who are running the country? No? Then I guess you're talking shite then
Saddam may not be in power but Iraq is a mess and a source of considerable regional instability.

The Taliban may not be running the country, yet, but guess who we're talking to about what happens when we leave?

Victory is not about killing individuals, it's about achieving the required endstate. Iraq and Afghanistan were the two most important strategic brakes on Iran - our adventures removed those brakes and now we have a resurgent and expansionist Iran which no-one knows how to deal with and which is well on the way to becoming a nuclear power. If that was the required endstate, then truly Iraq and Afghanistan were astonishing victories, otherwise I think we have to file them under 'whoops'.

Sadam is not in power and there were no WMB but we defiantly did not win.

We never imposed security on Basra and scurried off with our tail between our legs after a shameful deal with the militias. When it kicked off again we failed to go back and sort it out. Iraq was a defeat pure and simple and history will judge it so.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads