Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Army chief warns of terrifying prospect of failure

Closet_Jibber said:
nigegilb said:
Perhaps the British public would have more support for the war if other NATO countries displayed a similar level of concern for the global threat posed by Afghan farmers?

I will assume you haven't done a recent tour in Afghanistan as those boys definately aren't just Afghan farmers.

CJ, not seen a recent breakdown of percentage of foreign fighters in Afg.

Would you accept that the majority are Pashtun? Fighters from islamic movement of Uzbekistan (ALQ Links) have been reported to be fighting in the North. What is your estimate of percentage of "others" making up the Taliban fighters?

Could be it is time to start drawing up plans for an emboldened ALQ and its implications here in the UK. Not pretty I agree, Richards came close to calling it a religious war, interesting choice of words.

nigegilb said:
Closet_Jibber said:
nigegilb said:
Perhaps the British public would have more support for the war if other NATO countries displayed a similar level of concern for the global threat posed by Afghan farmers?

I will assume you haven't done a recent tour in Afghanistan as those boys definately aren't just Afghan farmers.

CJ, not seen a recent breakdown of percentage of foreign fighters in Afg.

Would you accept that the majority are Pashtun? Fighters from islamic movement of Uzbekistan (ALQ Links) have been reported to be fighting in the North. What is your estimate of percentage of "others" making up the Taliban fighters?

Greater than they would have us believe. There are simply not that many p1ssed off Afghan farmers to be replenning them at the rate they currently are.

I have a good mate who I was out there with during my tour who returned and carried out lots of OP's along the border with Pakistan. His words not mine:

"My blueys were short because we already had lots to write about."

Make of that what you will.

We are fighting a "hearts and minds" war....with a religion thrown in. Mission impossible or so it would seem. Time for some lateral thinking or thinking outside the box. Because so far the approach is not working.

A friend of mine said "If we could hold on to one place and push in the re-construction team. Supplying a hospital with a generator to work the washing machines in order for there to be clean bed linen. It would make a small but significant difference."

From small projects....larger ones develop.

I am assuming there is a limitless supply of suicide bombers, being churned out in Pak. At the end of the day, if the Afghan people themselves refuse to withdraw their tacit support for Taliban we should bring our boys home. If support from local Afghans is dependent on them believing the coalition presence is a permanent one, then Obama's administration is currently doing a great job in destroying that belief.

This mission is being fcuked from all ways up. Richards is whistling in the wind if he thinks Gordon will listen.

Fallschirmjager said:
Muslims and Islam will rule the world anyway one day so might as well let it happen sooner then later. Christians or Atheists for that matter haven't the bottle any more to stand up to them. At least I'll be dead by then so don't give a fcuk.

Unless we take on board what Steven Moxon said back in 2004…

"An international alliance of Islamic Year Zeros feverishly exporting death to 'infidel' and non-fundamentalist Muslim alike, by Kamikazes literally in their millions, eventually will have to be silenced by nuclear weapons."

I can see there being a big future in green, phosphorescent glass in the Middle East in my lifetime.

All my opinion but I think it's valid. The UK does not feel at war, the main issues hitting our news are domestic with the odd unfortunate bad news about Afghanistan making up an afterthought. We are simply too materialistic.

We live in a nation that strikes because of rising fuel prices bringing the motorways to a standstill. Main news item today, a Premiership football team not having been paid for a week. All the while the enemy that the lads and lasses are engaging run about in sandals and individually, have the spending power of a Shetland Isles four year old child.

It will not be the military out in Afghanistan that will fail. It will be Joe Civvy more concerned about share prices and Icelandic Banks.

My jury is not out on Richards just yet. He strikes me as a realist and I think his Afghan tour certainly made him an authority on the subject.

However Comrade Gordon is a politico and therefore is not interested in the long game as far as the battle plan in Afghanistan is concerned. He's worried about the next election.

You're right. The Heads of shed are to blame for the state of affairs and the running of these two campaigns. However the British public will be shouldering some of the blame as far as I am concerned for not giving a sh1t. Whether its because we haven't got the stomach for a real war anymore or we just don't give a sh1t about the consequences of not keeping sh1t hole parts of the world in check, the British public would be happier all round if this whole venture was just knocked on the head and we came home, regardless of a victory or a defeat.

Trahere said:
All my opinion but I think it's valid. The UK does not feel at war, the main issues hitting our news are domestic with the odd unfortunate bad news about Afghanistan making up an afterthought. We are simply too materialistic.

We live in a nation that strikes because of rising fuel prices bringing the motorways to a standstill. Main news item today, a Premiership football team not having been paid for a week. All the while the enemy that the lads and lasses are engaging run about in sandals and individually, have the spending power of a Shetland Isles four year old child.

It will not be the military out in Afghanistan that will fail. It will be Joe Civvy more concerned about share prices and Icelandic Banks.

Joe Civvy is more interested in how Jordan is coping with her split from Peter and which fat kid will get through to the final on The X Factor.

You've hit the nail on the head that Joe Civvy doesn't feel at war. Maybe they would if the defence budget was doubled and other areas had to feel the pinch.

Ofcourse no government would ever do that as again, they're more interested in the next election than making sure that other people can win a fight they started.

There was a race of people who committed horrific crimes on men, women and children, they considered them to be infidels. They were a tenacious people with feudal aspirations. The attrition of war caused many casualties on both sides and a clear and concise decision had to be made to prevent any further loss of life and capitulate the demands of these people.

America responded with tactical nuclear weapons, this race capitulated.

There was a race of people who committed horrific crimes on men, women and children, they considered them to be infidels. They were a tenacious people with feudal aspirations. They called themselves jihadists and martyrs and the world lived in fear of them looking for a solution. That decision was made in world war two, just no one has the balls to carry it out.

Fallschirmjager said:
Muslims and Islam will rule the world anyway one day so might as well let it happen sooner then later. Christians or Atheists for that matter haven't the bottle any more to stand up to them. At least I'll be dead by then so don't give a fcuk.

Ahem. My money is on the glorious People's Liberationa Army. I'll give you odds of 50,000 to 1.

My 14 year old son has been thinking of joining the army when old enough he is only too aware that by time he is old enough things will still be carrying on we in nato and the western eorld value our lives and as everyone has found out its not easy taking on someone who does not care if he dies because it takes him straight to heaven. Thing is i did my time and at the end of it all i had was a few bits of shrapnell under my armpit rom a grenade in londonderry the mod and goverment need to give the proper equipment they need to get other nato nations putting in more troops i would willingly pay more income tax if it went to troops on the ground with equipment to do the job

I agree with his general thrust such as, would be "enormous" and "unimaginable" for the short, medium term.
But the "liberals" with there immigration have ensured that Afghan is but mere a precursor.