Army Chief predicts a generation of conflict

From The Times
August 28, 2007
Army chief predicts a 'generation of conflict'
Michael Evans, Defence Editor

The head of the Army has ordered his senior staff to make preparations for “a generation of conflict”, in a speech that the Ministry of Defence tried to keep secret.

General Sir Richard Dannatt gave warning of the dangers posed by a “strident Islamist shadow” and suggested that the British Army was “on the edge of a new and deadly Great Game in Afghanistan”.

He also told senior staff that the trust and respect of the public could be “increasingly difficult to gain” in the context of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. “The challenge of this generation is as great as any that have gone before us,” he added.

General Dannatt’s thoughts about the way forward for the Army were revealed in a speech given to a conference in London in June. The speech remained secret because the MoD did not allow the media to attend. However, under a Freedom of Information request, the contents of the address to senior British and overseas military have now been released...
Last year General Dannatt said he believed that the troops should be pulled out “some time soon”. However, in his June address, he seemed to be preparing for decades of fighting ahead — presumably with Afghanistan in mind. He had held a meeting of senior officers at an army development forum to address the question: “How do we prepare ourselves for potentially a generation of conflict?”

Hinting at his previously expressed fears that the Army may become burned out by the pressures of fighting two wars simultaneously, General Dannatt emphasised the need that soldiers and their families are cared for properly and given time to train for other types of warfare. “We need an army in being in five and ten years’ time, not just the memory of one that expended itself in the middle of the current decade,” he said.

“British soldiers should always expect the nation, the Army and their commanders to treat them fairly, to value and respect them as individuals and to sustain and reward them and their families with appropriate conditions of service,” he said...
See the full article at this link from TimesOnline

As an aside, it is interesting that the event from which the media were banned was a conference held by RUSI, the prestigious Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies. You may remember Amyas Godfrey from RUSI appearing on Newsnight to defend the new DIN aka 'Gagging Order'.

hackle said:
You may remember Amyas Godfrey from RUSI appearing on Newsnight to defend the new DIN aka 'Gagging Order'.
I 'never' saw it, you didn't see me see it, and even if I did, I can't discuss it :(

msr

Just stick in an FOI request ;)

msr

I think the Army Chief is a bit late in the day regarding his statement..
a Muslim Caliphate uprising, is already in Southeast Asia ,look at Indoneseia and new troubles in Malaysia to include Sarawak and Sabah...

Well it's not rocket science is it? Until the Palestinian problem's solved, large numbers of Muslims across the globe are going to be pissed off, and some will express their anger through violence. It's what angry people do. And countries such as Britain, with large Muslim populations, will suffer domestic terrorism should they get their foreign policy wrong. The old adage is correct: there can be no peace without justice.

annakey said:
Well it's not rocket science is it? Until the Palestinian problem's solved, large numbers of Muslims across the globe are going to be pissed off, and some will express their anger through violence. It's what angry people do. And countries such as Britain, with large Muslim populations, will suffer domestic terrorism should they get their foreign policy wrong. The old adage is correct: there can be no peace without justice.
Um- we shouldn't make domestic or foreign policy to placate a minority of our population - or anybody else's. If they want to express their anger through violence then they should suffer the consequences. You also appear to be suggesting that if the Palestinian problem is solved than all radical muslim violence will stop - it won't

Get real - and who says our foreign policy is wrong - its a big subject and slightly more delicate than you make out.

I agree with RM, foreign policy or the lack of it is a delicate matter and should be left to the public school people.

But in the mean time. maybe we should pack up and come home. Let the Afghans and Iraqis sort out their own countries. We could them deploy the army to do immigration and police duties here in regards to drugs, firearms and immigration.

I am joking but maybe some brain drain in Whitehall already suggested it.

After reading the papers on Sunday about the biggest ever opium crop in Afghanistan. it looks like cheaper junk for the druggies. So that Pete Docherty taken care of!

We cleary have a government who never think "what would Maggie do now....."

annakey said:
Sounds a little threatening to me.

Sadly, there are few here who would suggest that CGS' assessment is anything less than on the money (Yes Sir, I am available for Christenings, Bar Mitzvahs and cabaret). Whilst only a few months ago it was the norm to scoff at the "Clash of Cultures" being touted amongst the more right wing chattering classes, this now seems to be coming fact. I fear that a resolution of the Palestine question will now do little to defuse the situation. "Not losing" against the Superpower in Afghanistan and Iraq are both powerful incentives and recruiting agents for those who see the Caliphate as a reality. "Not winning" in Afghanistan and Iraq are powerful incentives for disengagement and self-recrimination in the liberal democracies of the West.

annakey said:
Hmmm what we need is a final solution to the Islamonazi question.

The_Cad said:
annakey said:
Hmmm what we need is a final solution to the Islamonazi question.
Islamonazis won't go away if the Palestininan problem is solved; they will try and use other examples (real or otherwise) of supposed Muslim victimhood to aid their cause. What it would do however is - to coin a phrase - help to drain the swamp within which Islamoterrorism functions; the wider hinterland that might not actively support, but tolerates extremism because of anger over this particular issue.

rickshaw-major said:
annakey said:
Um- we shouldn't make domestic or foreign policy to placate a minority of our population - or anybody else's. If they want to express their anger through violence then they should suffer the consequences. You also appear to be suggesting that if the Palestinian problem is solved than all radical muslim violence will stop - it won't

Get real - and who says our foreign policy is wrong - its a big subject and slightly more delicate than you make out.
Rick Shaw, there is big difference between placating people and ensuring justice. And as for the Palestinian problem. It matters neither here nor there whether its resoloution quelled all Muslim violence. Its a problem and it needs sorting. And one thing we could be assured of were that done that would at least eradicate one source of violence.

Your argument there is one often used by those who wish to have an excuse for not dealing it.

And as for telling anarky to get real and asking him who says our foriegn policy is wrong, perhaps you could point out the success in following.
I'm buggered if I can see any.

The Associated Press reported that death tolls in Iraq from sectarian attacks this year are twice what they were a year ago.
Also last week, the New York Times ran a devastating report showing that more Iraqis than ever have fled their homes since Bush's "surge" began -- yet another decisive piece of evidence that sectarian hatred in Iraq has long since passed the point at which it can be contained by the U.S.
This is not surprising when you look at the numbers. The war has resulted in an estimated 650,000 Iraqis dead, 1.1 million internally displaced and close to 2.5 million who have fled the country. These figures mean one in six Iraqis has been killed or is a refugee. Translated into American terms, this would work out to 50 million Americans killed or turned refugee -- a figure roughly equal to the population of the northeastern United States, including New York, New Jersey, Maryland and all of New England.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/08/28/war_myth/index1.html

Arabisation is on the move with or without the Palistine problem, a Caliphate is forming and is gradually growing stronger in Southeast Asia
Middle East and Africa. Where next?

goodkurtz,
Do please take exception with rickshaw - major and not with this call sign, theres a good chap! :)

Dilfor:
Islamonazis won't go away if the Palestininan problem is solved;
I'm not sure that refering constantly to our opponents as Islamonazis is such a good idea. As far as I'm aware they don't call themselves that. I'm also not aware of them following the creeds of Adolf either.

In war its important to get the measure of the enemy properly. To impose properties on him that might be to our liking for propaganda purposes, only leads to self deception. And in war self deception leads to folly.

And as for this Caliphate business, a Caliphate is just a head of the religion. And as the various branches of Islam can fight like cats in a sack with one another, the chance of one unifying head emerging is unlikely.

boris 7 wrote :

'a Muslim Caliphate uprising, is already in Southeast Asia ,look at Indoneseia and new troubles in Malaysia'

What a load of ballcocks. I've lived in Indonesia for years and spent loads of time in Malaysia. Your version of the reality there is so far off the mark, either you' don't know the place that well or you don't know the place that well.

Link to excellent article in the Torygraph today (28 Aug), by Allan Mallinson. He suggests bags of investment reqd for the Army, including a lot more infantry, and I agree with him. Also a proper top-level strategy needed - perhaps a clearer cohesion between F&C Office and MoD (ie Army commanders both at Theatre level and at home) would deliver.... Is Swiss Tony's new part-time contract as our SofS a step in the right direction - er no!
One more suggestion - stop criticising the Americans, we need to sort out the top level strategy and the joint fires integration issues and all the rest of it now and that means meshing with Gen Petreus's doctrine...