Army Chief and the Global Rugby Scam

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by msr, Apr 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Post edited out - now this has been moved into a new thread its no longer in context.

3. A question of values and standards.

4. Surprsied this story has taken so long to get into the press. Not surprising that someone picked up on it after Soldier Mags two pager on the new ARU coach this month I suppose.

5. I served with Mr Hickling during Op Granby, No other officer or soldier in my twenty years of service showed more leadership and a duty of care to the soldiers under his command. Support Heli Force under his command was a great place to serve. He was OC, still an RSM and a top bloke!

It sounds like he was abusing his position on Hotels and Flights, but isn't that the norm, top people have better seats and hotels in the buisness world.

As for the agents fee's, if he is using his contacts to get players into the now lucrative Rugby Union clubs, £1000 kick back is not exactly earth shattering.....

It seems like he is being hung out by the powers.

6. Alot of people will be happy of this news. Those that have worked with him, weather it in a playing capacity or work, will all know his style, i liked it - as i said some did not. Lets just wait and see what the outcome is, before anyone starts making sweeping statements, about facts, that nobody really knows about. Everybody makes mistakes. As i said, lets not start gobbing off.

7. No not earth shattering, but, in my opinion, a breach of the Army's Values and Standards as well as being against the law (i think) and an abuse of his position. If that's not enough then i think as a Lt Col in the Army he plain just should have known better.

F

8. Roadster, good point mate. All a bit sad really, but like i say lets just wait out.

9. Agreed Roadster.

Caught with the fingers in the biscuit tin.... Ooopps

10. He's already admitted to taking "inappropriate payments" so it's not as if he's going to get away completely scott-free mucker. :wink:

Don't think the emergence of "Andy's little helper" will do much for his case either:

But at least he articulates himself sufficiently well in the eyes of the public:

I can’t comment on this, okay. Listen, I’d better not say any more at the moment. I don’t know what you’re talking about. I need to go and get some advice on this, okay.”

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Andy Hickling, my RSM in 7 when they were in Herford. Seemed like a bit of a pedantic twat back then when I was a siggie. Ahh well what goes around comes around it seems.

12. Makes you wonder what he was up to during his current 7 year tour in London District where apparently he was responsible for contract placements for barrack and MQ repairs etc???

13. Sad, whatever comes of it. Personally found him a good coach and only bought him a beer.

However, I cacked my drawers at the 'Senior Officer' bit.

14. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Old story but how did this little saga end??

15. Don't quite know.

Seems to have disappeared off the radar, shock there!

Know the guy fairly well. Will do some digging tomorrow.