Army chess ?

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Goatman, Sep 20, 2009.

?
  1. A stupid waste of time played by beardy sandal-wearing soap dodgers

7.3%
  2. Cheap,cheerful,playable anywhere there is a flat surface

31.7%
  3. You must be joking right? The boys dont play...numpty.

4.9%
  4. If it makes life on ops in any way less tedious - why not ?

56.1%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

'Scuse the intrusion gents.....didn't know where to post this and thought I might get either a sensible reply ( or just less p1ss ripped :) ) in here....

I posted a pic in the HERRICK gallery today and came across this.....
    /images/albums/userpics/53797/normal_my_fave____.jpg

LINK

These lads are playing on a piece of cardboard they've drawn squares on , using pieces scrawled with 'Bishop', Knight', 'Pawn' on other bits of cardboard...

I too played a couple of games of chess on my sole operational tour (dripping gently in 32 degrees at midnight, so far back I was sending the laundry forward) ....always surprises GBP to find soldiers playing chess,don't know why but there it is.....can't be just a Sapper thing ? Who knows.

Question:
    whilst I'm sure that folk in Bastion and possibly Lash are awash with modest stuff like board games, cards and poxy PST2s etc - is it worth putting a folding chess board in a shoebox care package for someone in an FOB ?

Or has the Welfare system got it absolutely weighed off ?

Because if it hasn't I'm sure British Chess Federation , if asked, would rush to help ? (and not those stupid fiddly travel boards with tiny loseable pegs either)

Apologies for interrupting the tea and toast - back to the records!

Don Cabra

2. Back in Belfast in the 70's taught my section how to play chess after all the card games had been exhausted. Eventually most of the platoon were playing the game.

Rough men have surprisingly agile minds.

3. Snakes and Ladders is better.

Only cause I can't play chess.

4. We played Chess and Uckers( ludo ) in my time

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks to all who've responded - and stuck a vote on the poll......seems I'm not quite as wildly deluded as I'd thought.

Still looking for an answer to the question though.

If you were serving in an FOB and recvd a folding chess/Draughts board instead of the latest FHM would your reaction be

' Cor - dead on !'

or

' WTF ? Is this a JOKE or what ?'

Views appreciated from anyone currently deployed!

Thanks

Don Cabra

6. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Bridge circle anyone?

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

"By Strength and Guile"

8. Fitters Troop, Asqn, 1RT, back in the late 80's always played bridge at NAAFI/ Lunch times, and all through Scheme whenever possible. If you were unlucky, you had to partner the Tiff who took the games very seriously.

9. The king - no, the emperor - of board games, and once at least some squaddies are introduced to it it's a revelation to them, as noted above by Strewth. Unbeatable as a mental exercise, and if your average Russian/Arab/Kurd working bloke regards it as an everyday classless pastime, then why not the Toms? Good idea, Goatman.

10. hhunt the cnut?

Nomi?

Sgt Major

11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well I've had a bit of guidance there so thanks people...poll seems to show about 80% in the 'Can't do any harm' camp.....which may of course just reflect traditional British Army tolerance for nutters and eccentrics in its midst :)

It also led me to check out the first post by Democritus - first rate rant that man!

Right, off to find a folding board. Cheers.

Don Cabra

12. Risk was always quite popular.

13. Nice of you to say so, and after another look at it meself I have to say that nothing's changed in the last two years, so there's plenty more where that came from! Anyway, best of luck with winning any converts to The Great Game.