Army Chefs Cook Book

RAF Mobile Catering Support Unit up at Prilep in Macedonia. Supply chain hadn’t caught up yet so they were just given cash and went shopping every day in Prilep town.
By fuck it was good. Proper cooks given their head to come up with what they wanted. Don’t think we ate the same thing twice.
Then we moved up to Skopje, numbers doubled over night and the system kicked in.
Back to pie and chips twice a day every day.
They were so hacked off.

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
I'm quite surprised that the quantities are aimed at the more modest number of portions, I assume they then multiply the quantity depending on how many they are serving (unless of course Volume 3 is "feeding the five thousand with seven loaves and two fishes" type stuff}.

Some of them look reasonable, I may try some out and see how they taste. After all, there are so many wonderful treats described in there that I never saw when I was in uniform.......perhaps they never got past the first couple of recipes in each section in the scruffs mess!

Some of them look reasonable, I may try some out and see how they taste. After all, there are so many wonderful treats described in there that I never saw when I was in uniform.......perhaps they never got past the first couple of recipes in each section in the scruffs mess!
Notably there are no photographs - presumably to deflect comments such as "This looks nothing like it's shown in the manual".

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
Notably there are no photographs - presumably to deflect comments such as "This looks nothing like it's shown in the manual".
And noticeably no amendments either...... Yes I know, the issued manual would have no amendments on the page but I can't see someone sending out AL2 to say "page 26, replace 1 pinch with 2 pinches"

RAF Mobile Catering Support Unit up at Prilep in Macedonia. Supply chain hadn’t caught up yet so they were just given cash and went shopping every day in Prilep town.
By **** it was good. Proper cooks given their head to come up with what they wanted. Don’t think we ate the same thing twice.
Then we moved up to Skopje, numbers doubled over night and the system kicked in.
Back to pie and chips twice a day every day.
They were so hacked off.
We had such a small unit of only around 20 junior ranks and some 80+ SNCO's that the more exclusive place to eat was the cookhouse rather than the Sgt's Mess. A Sgt and a L/Cpl were the ACC representation to cover the two kitchens along with a handful of civvy staff. If the L/Cpl was on in the cookhouse breakfast was generally whatever kind of fry up you wanted with (to the extent that it could be a DIY job), believe it or not, more than one of the mythical sausages could appear if requested.

The whole thing was excellently supplied and catered as the ACC Sgt used to mainly shop in the local Cash & Carry (Handelshof for those BAOR warriors who remember) and the bill was sent direct to whoever in JHQ. Sadly, it turned out the Sgt was managing to massage the shopping lists and also shopped for himself and the occasional private function he used to cater for and RMP SIB took a dim view. After they nicked him the quality of the food went downhill from private members club quality back to cookhouse quality.

I always did like army food though, don't tell @Joker62 .

Late 1980’s, using a LTM so that the crabs could drop inert 1000lb bombs on (Tain?) range... Northern Scotland anyway, the local unit had a chef who caught rabbits, fished for trout and cod (obviously not at the same time!) had an exchange deal with a local fisherman for crabs. Three days of drinking outrageously and eating fantastically... never went back, but the food was very good. I think it was an RAF Cpl and an army lance jack.

I do like the way they get all defensive when you criticize them and then they tell dits about the one patrol they did in NI...
'..some even say 'We did it often to give the lads a break' ...yeah, course you, while a Rifleman was knocking up dinner i suppose?
When we were resident Bn at Abercorn Bks it wasn't unusual to see cooks going out on patrol if they had a day off from the cookhouse. In all fairness to them they didn't have to go out on patrol with us but they did it anyway.

When we were resident Bn at Abercorn Bks it wasn't unusual to see cooks going out on patrol if they had a day off from the cookhouse. In all fairness to them they didn't have to go out on patrol with us but they did it anyway.
For sure, they did but not often on 4 monthers or emergency Tours due to threat/location and the Brick/Team Comd wanting some who may have half a clue what to do if/when it kicked off.

They would have more been help if they'd offered to do a few hours sangar bashing

For sure, they did but not often on 4 monthers or emergency Tours due to threat/location and the Brick/Team Comd wanting some who may have half a clue what to do if/when it kicked off.

They would have more been help if they'd offered to do a few hours sangar bashing
I agree about the 4 and 6 month tours but during those tours the cooks were usually too busy to patrol or man the sangers anyway. During the Belfast tours there was usually a night cook on duty for returning patrols to get some scran and a brew and two cooks on during the day time.

I agree about the 4 and 6 month tours but during those tours the cooks were usually too busy to patrol or man the sangers anyway. During the Belfast tours there was usually a night cook on duty for returning patrols to get some scran and a brew and two cooks on during the day time.
Dungannon many moons ago. Aircrew used to get rations (bread, eggs, bacon, cheese that sort of thing) in our portakabin as we could be up and about at all hours and frequently went flying over mealtimes so we could at least get something hot and fresh when we needed it.

Someone in the battalion decided that it was too expensive and unnecessary to give us rations because there was a cookhouse. It was pointed out that the cookhouse wasn’t open for a lot of the time, but we were told that there is a duty cook on 24hrs, so no rations, and that’s final.

Cue next night shift, Sqn 2ic deliberately there on duty that evening: “we need some food, call out the Duty Cook“. “er, it’s 2 in the morning?” “don’t give a fuck, you stopped our rations because there’s a duty cook, be a good chap and wake him up, bacon and eggs 3 times should do it”

Oddly enough, the ration supply returned the next morning.

You lot are being uncommonly rude to Aldershot's finest, the cement company were gods to us CWW's while on bloody exercises in winter in BAOR, freezing our nuts off on the Diester ridge, or in the Swallenberg forest, their scran was manna from heaven, 1 Div Sigs ComCen Charlie chefs were bloody miracle workers, and at 22 sigs, the field kitchen turned out some of the best nosh I have ever had in the field, admittedly my standards and taste buds at the time were shot to hell, but with the "Extras" that were obtained by scrounging, road kill, and generally obtained from dubious sources, and handed over to the Chefs, no questions asked.

Memory jog:- True Dit. out on the scrounge, at the weekend, no movement of vehicles allowed, I came upon several large field mushrooms, by large I mean about 12 inch diameter, about 14 inches high, and as thick as your wrist, I gave them to the field kitchen, there was enough fried up in butter for a dozen blokes, tasted wonderful, a meal on their own. One chap came in with half a dozen brown trout, and another, a liney, a small boar, that he killed with his L/Rover. Rabbits and dead pheasants occasionally appeared on the menu. but not often.........we ate well.
The best chefs, and this comes from a pongo, are RAF chefs, we used to try to get a long road test to RAF Gutersloh back in the day, just so we could sign in to their canteen and get some decent scran

All true, I remember coming in at 2/3 in the morning and the chefs putting some egg banjos and bacon sarnies on for us as well as cups of tea and coffee, absolute god send. I also remember Easter 1987 when a lot of the chefs were out on the streets with us, generally getting in the way but doing their best, then returning to camp and helping out in the kitchen before bed, bloody hard workers in my humble

The best chefs, and this comes from a pongo, are RAF chefs, we used to try to get a long road test to RAF Gutersloh back in the day, just so we could sign in to their canteen and get some decent scran

On camp no question
, ( visiting Odium, Cosford, and Brize, wonderful scoff) but out on exercises, 9 months of the year, in all weathers. occasionally under atrocious conditions, when did the RAF have ever have to live like that....?

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Much maligned military chefs were overall pretty good I think.However,in my day,we used to get more than one sausage.HMS Collingwood,RAF Brize Norton,and Rhine Barracks were my favourites.Still have to smile at the various renditions of ACC though.My favourite was 'Ah Canny Cook' in a Glaswegian accent.

Some years ago I was working with a RAF Chef and I asked him what’s the worst thing he ever got away with:

Whilst in FI the resupply ship was late and as a result they ran out of meat for 2 weeks. He took a plastic flower bin, filled it with rice and added water and a whole load of gravy stock, hey presto – instant mince. For the next fortnight every conceivable dish that involved mince was produced. What surprised him the most was rather than getting filled in he was repeatedly congratulated on knocking out great food!

On camp no question, ( visiting Odium, Cosford, and Brize, wonderful scoff) but out on exercises, 9 months of the year, in all weathers. occasionally under atrocious conditions, when did the RAF have ever have to live like that....?
They don’t, they stay in 3/4 star hotels when on “exercise”

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Look under "brown stew".
Where's the fried eggs, the bits of sausage, other dubious non-beef bits of meat, the baked beans?

And dumplings were a mythical beast, like pterodactyl wings...

Latest Threads