Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Army Chefs Cook Book

Ever wondered where the often much-maligned army chefs get their recipes from? Now you know.
Someone posts this every couple of years

From what I hear, Army chefs are not ‘much maligned’ but they are much loved by those on Salisbury plain getting a bowl of range stew or out on operations getting miraculous meals out of ration packs.

My mother still has her stolen 1965 edition in the kitchen. (my old office used to make a bulk Xmas dinner for our van crews and when she heard about it she handed me a recipie book covered in brown paper and swore me to keep it secret from my father. Following his death I rediscovered it on her recipie shelf unwrapped!)

You lot are being uncommonly rude to Aldershot's finest, the cement company were gods to us CWW's while on bloody exercises in winter in BAOR, freezing our nuts off on the Diester ridge, or in the Swallenberg forest, their scran was manna from heaven, 1 Div Sigs ComCen Charlie chefs were bloody miracle workers, and at 22 sigs, the field kitchen turned out some of the best nosh I have ever had in the field, admittedly my standards and taste buds at the time were shot to hell, but with the "Extras" that were obtained by scrounging, road kill, and generally obtained from dubious sources, and handed over to the Chefs, no questions asked.

Memory jog:- True Dit. out on the scrounge, at the weekend, no movement of vehicles allowed, I came upon several large field mushrooms, by large I mean about 12 inch diameter, about 14 inches high, and as thick as your wrist, I gave them to the field kitchen, there was enough fried up in butter for a dozen blokes, tasted wonderful, a meal on their own. One chap came in with half a dozen brown trout, and another, a liney, a small boar, that he killed with his L/Rover. Rabbits and dead pheasants occasionally appeared on the menu. but not often.........we ate well.

With pay as you starve, I thought army chefs were a thing of the past, do they even exist anymore and if they do, when do they cook?
No - it was civilianisation prior to both contractorisation and also prior to PAYD that reduced the army chef headcount to be cheaper than uniformed chefs everywhere.
But they are still needed when the army goes to war, so the remaining ‘core catering manpower’ work in the kitchens alongside the contractors when they aren’t overseas on operations