army catering manual (macs manual)

Discussion in 'RLC' started by bigbri, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can anyone tell me if the army catering manual is still available and is it available on download version ive been trying to locate online for ages but no luck i would appreciate any help on this matter
  2. What! Do you mean there is actually a book that tells Army Chefs to cook? I used to think it was all guess work :chef:

Sorry couldn't resist it. :D
  3. Not as far as i beleive it is not online. You may pick one up at a book sale i have one sat here at home (not that i understand it) or if you know any old chefs they may have a copy hanging around.
  4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Check PM's
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Or try here't_Cook,_Won't_Cook
  6. Who called the cook a bast**d ? cause that bast**d aint no cook. :D
  7. It doesn't say much about cooking but the "scowling" section is top notch.

Also of note is the "how weild a ladel in a half menaceing way" and the chart on portion sizes.
  8. wahts in your PMs then boss man?? Gen up on monday
  9. The old Manual of Army Catering Services (MACS) has been reproduced in the last ten years or so into new publication JSP 456(a) Defence Catering Manual Volume 3. No direct links to it I'm afraid, but Google may unearth something if you're lucky.
  10. Erm, quite. :blush:
    It's been a while since I last worked with these publications, and I used to confuse them then as well!

Many apologies, I reckon I may just earn that elusive 'O2 Thief' avatar yet.
  11. Ive googled for the "JSP 404" for ages and never came up with a thing, happy hunting!!
  12. My only other suggestion would be to pop into your friendly RCWO at the cookhouse (assuming you're serving, that is) and ask if you can photocopy his.
  13. Thats a hell of alot of photocopying lol
    I did have one but left it in Tidworth. I couldn't carryit as i was escaping to civvie street and it was to heavy:p
  14. It is a lot, but I did one for work a couple of years ago, and it didn't take too long. You just break it down into a few parts, feed them into the top and leave it to do the business. Wish I'd done one for myself, as it happens......