Army calls up agency medics on £600 a day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Jun 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rest of story here

2. i'm good for appling plasters and TLC for young snice und tights when they need papa to hold her gland.
    john
    PS. cum werry cheap

3. FFS and they wonder where the budget goes.

4. With the relevant act of parliament still in place to re-impose conscription, why don't they just send the people who they so desperately need a brown envelope?

You can bet your life that since they remain civvies and not serving that they are not paying UK taxes on that £600 per diem...

5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

All trainee nurses and doctors, on qualifying should have to do at least one year of service in the garrisons of the Armed Forces. That will allow the service based personnel to get on with their job. This especially applies to physioterrorists, chiropractors and such like people.

Indeed, a lot of professionally qualified people should do likewise. Give something back to this country, teach them to respect us for what we are and learn a bit of humility.

F*ck it, let me run the country...rant over.

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Not many chiropractors in the Army- in fact none! I thought that it was a dinosaur!

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This from Frontier's website:

I wonder whether this works out cheaper than sending a TA nurse and paying the NHS Trust to replace him/her, particular if the TA nurse is a plastic major. Similarly, MOD end up paying MDHU Trusts to replace regulars who are deployed.

8. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

And how many people have back problems?

Maybe we need them? Only trying to think of our soldiers and ehem airmen and sailors, ehem.

9. £600 a day? My arr**!

Frontier were paying the Medics on the ground in these posts £275pd. They get the rest, and only pay them when they are in country.

10. That sounds more like it. Is it true about paying the MDHU Trusts for the regular staff who are deployed? Which accounting genius wrote that into the 'oh, I think we can save lots of money' contract/tender agreements?

11. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

When my wife worked at Frimley Park, the contract between the MoD and the NHS Trust (NHS + trust, now there's a contradiction) was that all service medical personnel were affiliated to field units and thus liable to be deployed at zero notice to fulfill operational roles. For this reason they were to be supernumary and the Trust was not to rely on their presence. Of course the Chief Executive, Andrew Morris, saw an easy cut in wages and factored the mil medics (paid by MoD) into his staff and saved himself a packet. Subsequently the civvy bosses there whinge like fcuk every time there is a deployment and they have to pay for agency staff at top dollar rates. I don't believe, however, that the MoD is liable for these costs - the taxpayer is though. Mind you, this is the same Chief Exec who invented a fictional ward to which A&E overnight trolley stayers were 'admitted' on paper to ensure more money from the Treasury for acheiving set targets on trolley waits - the ward was known as (wait for it) Morris Ward! 8O

12. Unfortunatly the nurses with those qualfications are in short supply
    and can probably earn that rate back home .wish i got on the course i'd be out like a shot :) :)

13. Its still better than the pay i get as a Paramedic in London..... :roll:

14. Napier,

You are wrong to assume that there is any relationship between the number of posts established in the MDHUs and the number of posts established in the field medical units. There is not, and never has been enough personnel in the MDHUs to bring the field medical units up to strength. This is not because of a manning shortage but because not enough posts were eatablished in the various agencies that are supposed to supply the manpower to the field units at TTW.

15. Was it not the case that when the IRA stared playing again the MOD was doing to put armed guard on military patients and Frimley shat itself.

Was not the MOD supposed to build a new ward for MOD patients/clients?

Must talk the wife into applying if they pay that.