Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army cadet questions

Just go back to the brazard for cadets and CFAVs. REGs and AR use rank slides.

This is one of the options being considered for Cadets under the review.

I was an ACF cadet in the 80s, wore the DWR cap badge, was proud to be affiliated to them and to learn their history and have "belonging" to a locally recruited regiment.

The next town ACF detachment was KOYlI so this brought in some some healthy rivalry that a common cap badge wouldn't. They were ******* shit at drill.

We had an assigned CTT at the Kings Div depot at Strensall and from memory they provided us with efficient and professional training and facilities.

We often weekended at Strensall, Scarborough, Ripon and Wathgill. Annual camps all over the place, we even had a special trip to the Guards Depot in Pirbright, if I recall correctly that trip was sponsored by the Guards, a freebie.

Worst camp Wreatham B, what a shit hole.

All in all it worked back then, or so it seemed to me, I can't answer for now.

I never ever saw a CFAV on any camp attempt to big it up in front of any regular soldiers we encountered, quite the opposite, it was instilled in us to afford the utmost respect and the CFAVs led by example.

FWIW, I ended up up a 4 star Sergeant, albeit cadet, the brazard enabled you to improve your sewing skills by sewing badges on, only a boy scout had more practice (or |John G).

Slime

LE
I was an ACF cadet in the 80s, wore the DWR cap badge, was proud to be affiliated to them and to learn their history and have "belonging" to a locally recruited regiment.

The next town ACF detachment was KOYlI so this brought in some some healthy rivalry that a common cap badge wouldn't. They were ******* shit at drill.

We had an assigned CTT at the Kings Div depot at Strensall and from memory they provided us with efficient and professional training and facilities.

We often weekended at Strensall, Scarborough, Ripon and Wathgill. Annual camps all over the place, we even had a special trip to the Guards Depot in Pirbright, if I recall correctly that trip was sponsored by the Guards, a freebie.

Worst camp Wreatham B, what a shit hole.

All in all it worked back then, or so it seemed to me, I can't answer for now.

I never ever saw a CFAV on any camp attempt to big it up in front of any regular soldiers we encountered, quite the opposite, it was instilled in us to afford the utmost respect and the CFAVs led by example.

FWIW, I ended up up a 4 star Sergeant, albeit cadet, the brazard enabled you to improve your sewing skills by sewing badges on, only a boy scout had more practice (or |John G).

With regards to common cap badges and rivalry.
If you had been an air cadet you would have had the same cap badge as the neighbouring units, but would have had different Sqn numbers on your brassards, so would still have had the same rivalry.

One difference of course would be that your pride would have been in your own Sqn and own Sqn number, not someone else’s actual reg or corps.

Maybe all army cadets and instructors could wear the same cap badge, but also with a detachment or county badge too.
It would never be popular with some adults though :)

Thread drift..........Added later.
Even though air cadets wore brassards, they still had to sew some badges direct to their jumpers :)
That was in my time, I have no idea if the practice continues to this day.

I still maintain that an ACF cap badge would be too generic to be inspiring, and current Regimental Cap Badges should rightly belong to those who serve.

The SCC re-established the old RNVR wavy ranks for their Officers, which was a nice nod to tradition while clearly identifying them.

Similarly, my favourite option for the ACF would be the re-establishment of defunct County Regiment cap badges. This would clearly mark wearers out as “non serving”, but with a sense of tradition and keeping the memory alive. Hants and IOW ACF would therefore become 1st (ACF) Bn, R HAMPSHIRE, Kent ACF becomes 1st (ACF) Bn, R KENTS, etc etc.

There’s already patterns of uniform for these Regts, it brings back a militarily link with Counties that has been missing since the 60s, there’s already Regimental Associations and Museums that would benefit from new blood, etc etc.

It will probably not happen.

Countryboy

Swinger
Just joined the site.

My experience from a CCF point of view...
Yes there are some guys who enjoy the uniform and the sounds of their own voices, but they are rare, as they are run within (somewhat) professional establishments.

However, a few CCF (Army) Contingents have their own capbadge, (normally a mixture of the school and possibly any regiment they were once affiliated with). It’s really good, as it promotes esprit-de-corps, plus removes the idea that it is in anyway ‘the military’.

CCFs do much less with affiliated regiments than ACF, so I would like all CCFs to be like that. It’s a school club after all, so it should wear the school’s badge, not a regiment of professional troops in my opinion...

Ref rank slides. Yes keep CADET in red, but for CFAVs (less SSI) they could add “CFAV” or “STAFF” or even “INSTRUCTOR”. Also could add “CADET FORCES” on the left side of MTP smock/shirt whatever. Plus wear the CCF stable belt and then a school shoulder flash for the blanking plate.

My last school had all this (less the rank slide and patch idea) and we never had any problems being misidentified or pissing people off... (less the 2Lt who turned up with Rifles 2s with cross-belt!)

My two cents.

Talon

Old-Salt
Does seem a fairly elegant solution, fits with the history and makes a clear distinction for Cadets and CFAVs

It would require replacing all PCS shirts with barrack shirts as wearing a brassard on the pcs shirt looks stupid. Fitting with history is no reason to do something. We like living in the future with better uniforms and have no wish to go back to the days of rubbish kit. As for the "clear distinction", this implies that there is an issue that needs solving - there isn't. This would be a spectacularly bad decision.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Swinger
It would require replacing all PCS shirts with barrack shirts as wearing a brassard on the pcs shirt looks stupid. Fitting with history is no reason to do something. We like living in the future with better uniforms and have no wish to go back to the days of rubbish kit. As for the "clear distinction", this implies that there is an issue that needs solving - there isn't. This would be a spectacularly bad decision.
Agree. The blanking plates replaced the need for brassards too, so they can always be used.

Latest Threads