Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army cadet questions

QRK2

LE
But they’re not cadets, they are CFAVs, the cadets as you know do, or should have CADET on their rank slide

I think CFAV would be more appropriate, in red along the same lines as the cadets

See post #327, or perhaps CADETS rather than CADET. They might not be Cadets but they are in the Cadet Force.

Boxy

GCM
See post #327, or perhaps CADETS rather than CADET. They might not be Cadets but they are in the Cadet Force.
CADETS is too similar and makes you think youngsters, CADET FORCE, misses out the Army/ Combined and would take up too much of the slide CFAV covers all Cadet Forces, ACF, ATC, SCC, RMC and CCF...

Innovative use of the compass pocket for those shades CSMI...

They’re not shades, they’re Reactolites...

Paging @robinrocket111 (or indeed any other former RTR bod):

About the revolving capbadge...I believe the Tank Corps was the first unit to be issued a beret as head dress...I also recall that there was a tradition to wear the capbadge in the centre as the radio headsets in those days required the berets to be pulled down on both sides?

The OC at RoCo was 2 RTR (Tony W the bobsleigher) and he wore his like that...

QRK2

LE
CADETS is too similar and makes you think youngsters, CADET FORCE, misses out the Army/ Combined and would take up too much of the slide CFAV covers all Cadet Forces, ACF, ATC, SCC, RMC and CCF...

It's funny how Air Cadets manage it then. Can't see a good reason why one would want to avoid the word Cadets, but plenty of walt related ones.

1609767996479.png

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Innovative use of the compass pocket for those shades CSMI.

The latter picture in particular is notable, not one item that that CFAV is wearing is issued, he will have had to go out and buy everything, none of which in any way contributes to being a better youth leader, but all designed to make him look more like his perception of an Army Officer (BTW, I can't recall ever seeing a real PWRR officer wearing a jersey like that). The fact that the ACF chose to use that picture also confirms that they know that access to the dressing up box is a recruiting tool for potential CFAVs.

I was going to mention Capt Mainwaring but that would frankly have been a disservice to the Home Guard.
With ref to the second pic.
I’m not doubting your assessment as I have no idea what uniform is issued now, but if he bought all that kit himself and it’s not the same pattern/type as issued then that really is quite ‘special’

There is currently a review underway of badges in the Army's Cadet Forces; one into the badges Cadets wear and one into the badges CFAVs wear. The aim of this is to enforce consistency and improve the branding of the ACF.

The TORs are on the Defence Gateway - my understanding is that the CFAV badge review has not begun yet, but there was an ACF wide survey into Cadet badges late last year.

We may see some changes as a result.

The latter picture in particular is notable, not one item that that CFAV is wearing is issued, he will have had to go out and buy everything, none of which in any way contributes to being a better youth leader, but all designed to make him look more like his perception of an Army Officer (BTW, I can't recall ever seeing a real PWRR officer wearing a jersey like that). The fact that the ACF chose to use that picture also confirms that they know that access to the dressing up box is a recruiting tool for potential CFAVs.

I was going to mention Capt Mainwaring but that would frankly have been a disservice to the Home Guard.
It could be of course he is a retired MERCIAN officer and wears the jumper still?

The photographer needs to be spoken too about shadow lines looking like zips.

It could be of course he is a retired MERCIAN officer and wears the jumper still?

The photographer needs to be spoken too about shadow lines looking like zips.
That wouldn't work though. If retired MERCIAN he knows it's Regimental Dress, not PWRR dress.

I do think if CFAVs are retired SP they could / should be allowed to wear the capbadge and accoutrements of where they served (providing they earnt them by completing the relevent ITT), But with that capbadges rankslide clearly showing ACF/CADETS/CADET FORCES, and the Cadet and county flashes on arms

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

That wouldn't work though. If retired MERCIAN he knows it's Regimental Dress, not PWRR dress.

I do think if CFAVs are retired SP they could / should be allowed to wear the capbadge and accoutrements of where they served (providing they earnt them by completing the relevent ITT), But with that capbadges rankslide clearly showing ACF/CADETS/CADET FORCES, and the Cadet and county flashes on arms

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Not claiming it to be the case, just offering an option!

Surely that wooly pully is a regimental acoutrement and thus not ACF...

QRK2

LE
Surely that wooly pully is a regimental acoutrement and thus not ACF...

I think it was said earlier that regimental accoutrements are allowed (other than TRFs) but they are meant to be for the correct, current pattern for the regiment concerned, but as discussed endlessly above dress code for the CFAVs is best described as optional.

Just to illustrate this further a quick google shows that Capt(ACF) Perry commands a company whose sub-units are badged RIFLES, RWxY and RTR. Dorset being IIRC RIFLES country. So why he's even trying to dress as PWRR is a bit of mystery.

Apparently they have a battle honour! :)

ETA Their County Commandant does have an impressive CV, they did well to get him.

Last edited:
There is currently a review underway of badges in the Army's Cadet Forces; one into the badges Cadets wear and one into the badges CFAVs wear. The aim of this is to enforce consistency and improve the branding of the ACF.

The TORs are on the Defence Gateway - my understanding is that the CFAV badge review has not begun yet, but there was an ACF wide survey into Cadet badges late last year.

We may see some changes as a result.
Unlikely if CFAVs are responding.

They are unlikely to give up there bragging rights. Where is the review? I have a few points I'd like to put forward.

Apparently they have a battle honour! :)

ETA Their County Commandant does have an impressive CV, they did well to get him.
Some good county commandants around to be honest.

The battle honour is quite normal for coy names.

He's PWRR so probably commissioned into the ACF in an area where Squidgy's own are a thing and then moved on vacancy. I think sub-unit commanders are advertised nationwide.

QRK2

LE
He's PWRR so probably commissioned into the ACF in an area where Squidgy's own are a thing and then moved on vacancy. I think sub-unit commanders are advertised nationwide.

...and had spent so much on the 'uniform' that he wouldn't/couldn't rebadge to the unit he was now part of, indeed that he was commanding?

They’re not shades, they’re Reactolites...

Paging @robinrocket111 (or indeed any other former RTR bod):

About the revolving capbadge...I believe the Tank Corps was the first unit to be issued a beret as head dress...I also recall that there was a tradition to wear the capbadge in the centre as the radio headsets in those days required the berets to be pulled down on both sides?

The OC at RoCo was 2 RTR (Tony W the bobsleigher) and he wore his like that...
Larkspur head sets was the reason, to make them more comfortable to wear you’d pull it down both sides. Cap badge from what I gather was a matter of taste.

Larkspur was comfortable???? Not with a turtle helmet! Well not at all actually, Clansman was a godsend
We didn’t wear bone domes until we got CVRT, even then the helmets had Larkspur fittings. 2RTR never had Clansman till they got back on CVRT in 1980 after 18 months at Omagh.

It's funny how Air Cadets manage it then. Can't see a good reason why one would want to avoid the word Cadets, but plenty of walt related ones.

View attachment 535848
They also have one cap badge, which the ACF should consider. Some in the ACF do wear an ACF cap badge.

Latest Threads