Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army cadet questions

Hi just a question about the army cadet force. Firstly are there actually any guidelines for punishing cadets because sometimes at my cadets we get given PT for ages in full uniform. Told to stand to attention for hours which gets hard. Or really even something doing solid drill for hours on end. Sometimes even with full gear. (By full uniform I mean a t-shirt jumper and smock. With a nice tight belt over the top) (by full gear i mean full uniform with webbing, packpack and rifle) I'm in the cadets in my school. Is this normal or just my school being odd?

Pretty normal. There is guidance and policy on discipline within the cadets that your Instructors will be routinely briefed on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
As joining the Cadets is voluntary, leave and find a youth group that does fun stuff rather than military bs.

Hi just a question about the army cadet force. Firstly are there actually any guidelines for punishing cadets because sometimes at my cadets we get given PT for ages in full uniform. Told to stand to attention for hours which gets hard. Or really even something doing solid drill for hours on end. Sometimes even with full gear. (By full uniform I mean a t-shirt jumper and smock. With a nice tight belt over the top) (by full gear i mean full uniform with webbing, packpack and rifle) I'm in the cadets in my school. Is this normal or just my school being odd?
There is guidance on punishment in the cadet forces and if any of what you are saying is true this breeches just about everyone of the rules .
Is this ACF or as you say its connected to a school CCF with compulsory attendance?
This needs reporting and stopping hopefully, if it is true, the staff involved getting the boot out of the door.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Leave, leave now. And don't be scared about telling someone what's going on.

I'm taking this one with a pinch of salt

We get given PT for ages in full uniform.

Told to stand to attention for hours which gets hard.

Doing solid drill for hours on end.

How long isn't actually specified - perhaps the OP could be a little bit more specific and, if genuine, maybe succumbing to youthful exaggeration!

By full uniform I mean a t-shirt jumper and smock. With a nice tight belt over the top

Makes me suspect that the OP is a sock and that somebody has been at the Monday morning turps.

Hi so to clear some stuff up. It is a ccf within my school and compulsory. For the drill normally max about 1 hour. Standing to attention maybe 1-3 hours. PT really just for like 20-50 minutes but the issue is we do it with full uniform on. As said before that's that's a t-shirt jumper and smock with a belt over the top. It is also mostly the senior cadets that make us do these, but the adult instructors are watching and do it with us too. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
If you’re gen, you need to report this, probably outside of the school hierarchy as even though it’s allegedly senior cadets doing it, they won’t be getting away with it without the tacit approval of supposedly responsible adult staff?

I’m guessing your CCF is affiliated with a particular cap badge and so perhaps talking to one of the liaison staff from that Regiment / Corps might be a starting place? It’ll take bollocks to do it but it’s the right thing to do.

If you’re a sock, congratulations on finding humour in kids being abused under the guise of what for many is the entry level of military service.

QRK2

LE
Giving physical exercise as a punishment in schools is forbidden under DFE guidance. If you have an issue with it in needs to be raised with the School's designated Designated Safeguarding Lead, by either you yourself or your parents - you should already know who this is (often the Second Master/Deputy Head) but it will be on your school's website.

If it is being done by senior cadets (as opposed to Teachers or Adult Volunteers) that breaks several other rules and if it is being done by senior cadets who are not in your year group 'bubble' this term that is also breaching CV19 rules for educational establishments.

To reiterate if you have a concern raise it with the DSL in the first instance, I certainly suggest you do not continue to discuss it here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 172264

All cadet activity is carried out with regard to the Children's Act and CFAV have to take the safeguarding of their cadets very seriously at all times. This is constantly emphasised at training weekends, or it was in my County. They are not soldiers and the staff and senior cadets do not have Queen's Regs to support them. I was a CFAV for 13 years and the only disciplinary action we could take was suspension of the individual from parade nights/weekends, and as a last resort dismissal from the organisation. Group punishment, punitive PT ,or drill is totally forbidden. If the OP is telling the truth then an email to the County Commandant or Admin Officer should set wheels in motion to get any wrong doers removed.

QRK2

LE
All cadet activity is carried out with regard to the Children's Act and CFAV have to take the safeguarding of their cadets very seriously at all times. This is constantly emphasised at training weekends, or it was in my County. They are not soldiers and the staff and senior cadets do not have Queen's Regs to support them. I was a CFAV for 13 years and the only disciplinary action we could take was suspension of the individual from parade nights/weekends, and as a last resort dismissal from the organisation. Group punishment, punitive PT ,or drill is totally forbidden. If the OP is telling the truth then an email to the County Commandant or Admin Officer should set wheels in motion to get any wrong doers removed.

Nowt to do with a County Commandant or AO, as it's a CCF, not an ACF. School DSL as stated above should be the start point. If for any reason the DSL is not felt appropriate (eg (s)he's the contingent commander) then there are Deputy DSLs or the nominated governor. After that it would be a call to the county council children's dept (even for an independent school).

Every Independent School should have something like this which is normally easily googleable:

Last edited:
D

Deleted 172264

Nowt to do with a County Commandant or AO, as it's a CCF, not an ACF. School DSL as stated above should be the start point. If for any reason the DSL is not felt appropriate (eg (s)he's the contingent commander) then there are Deputy DSLs or the nominated governor. After that it would be a call to the county council children's dept (even for an independent school).

Every Independent School should have something like this which is normally easily googleable:

My mistake, I read the OP and missed the follow up comments. We had a couple of detachments in private schools, CCF on the cheap for the prospectus.

Quiet_CO

Swinger
There are few schools that would give over 3hrs to CCF given the pinch on timetabling and other constraints, If this is a punishment detail then perhaps other school staff would be the first port of call, Tutors or other teaching staff?

Boxy

GCM
There are few schools that would give over 3hrs to CCF given the pinch on timetabling and other constraints, If this is a punishment detail then perhaps other school staff would be the first port of call, Tutors or other teaching staff?

I was about to post similar, in my experience 3 hrs CCF during the week is unheard of, none of my schools do more than two hours and likewise the schools I’ve assisted.

Time is far too short to fit in the syllabus and fulfilling the needs of RC and the AAR to waste it as described

Even where CCF is compulsory the bad eggs still have to be accounted for

Last edited:
I was about to post similar, in my experience 3 hrs CCF during the week is unheard of, none of my schools do more than two hours and likewise the schools I’ve assisted.

Time if far too short to fit in the syllabus and fulfilling the needs of RC and the AAR to waste it as described

Even where CCF is compulsory the bad eggs still have to be accounted for
I was on about 3 hours of standing to attention not a 3 hour ccf session.

Latest Threads