Army Brown Stew

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That's about as near as it comes, plus the addition of 5lb of carrots, salt and pepper. Those with a flair of imagination used to add half a tin of tom puree. This gets slightly thickened with a "scouse roux", basically flour and water mixed to a smooth paste and added gradually, whilst on a rolling simmer, to thicken it up, but keep stirring at the same time as you add it or it will congeal in a SOLID LUMP OF WHITE GUNK
I thought that was the dumpling.;)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And the ACC did that when????

We got stew that was mostly left over breakfast sausages.

That was until the one time we did not!!!! The CO was cutting around on Hythe Ranges during our NI pre deployment training in the early 80s. He (as it would happen) had curried range stew. The Chef didn't fasten the lid properly on the Norgie and it was cold. So, he decided to eat with the troops. My, oh my, it was effin bedlam. The stew was foul and the CO, Jonny Clavering, did not hold back in ripping the Master Chef a new ass hole. We then, for the rest of the pre NI training, had served food of an acceptable standard.
I thought you were going to mention the lack of chopped parsley, parsley? I don’t think I ever tasted that within the boundaries of an MOD establishment.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Reminds me of the old joke of the the young lad sent to the QMs to sign for the “biggest 12 x 12 you’ve got”.
It wasn’t me, by the way! :grin:
Did he get a long weight as well?

I'm going to cook All in Range Stew tomorrow.
Were going into Cardiff, so it's all being lobbed in the slow cooker.
Mince
Stewing steak
Peas
Carrots
Spuds
Tabasco
And whatever else is lurking in the cupboards and freezer.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Mince
Stewing steak
Peas
Carrots
Spuds
Tabasco
Kidneys you need to get some nice kidney in there, I now know why 40 odd years later why it didn’t taste like my mums stew.

arcticfox042

War Hero
A bargain for those who want to re-create that authentic taste.........
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 19.55.33.png

The horror bags that you always got on range days or exercise.... A highly suspect ham and cheese sandwich, suspiciously non-brand crisps, a bottle of panda pop and the ever present Wagon Wheel.

Fun times.

Mince
Stewing steak
Peas
Carrots
Spuds
Tabasco
Good splash of Worcestershire and a couple of cloves gives it some depth.

... you need to get some nice kidney in there,
Oxymoron.

There's always some deranged person who is willing to render something inedible to civilised human beings by the inexplicable addition of foul-tasting tripes and trolleybags.

Go and live in China. You'd be happier in China. They understand people like you.

There's a lamb curry in the slow cooker at the moment. I'm just going to lob the rest of the stuff in using the curry as a base.
Worcestershire sauce and cloves works well with steak and kidneys.

Worcestershire sauce and cloves works well with steak and kidneys.
Got Mince and the rest of the gubbins. Mrs has just got some steak out of the freezer as well.
Worcestershire sauce is definitely going to go in.

I'm going to be farting for NATO tomorrow evening.

It might be my memory playing tricks, but I seem to remember range stews and the like being served up from hayboxes rather than norgies.
Always norgies wherever I was on a range. Even the stupid ******* fish and chips fiasco

Funny how some items acquire names. I'm sure the Master Chef doesn't demand "Container, Food, Norgie". It must have some descriptive name and an NSN. Everyone on this thread knows what a Norgie is, but I should imagine only @Joker62 has any chance of knowing what its real name is.

There was an antenna for the PRC344 UHF set that was just called a "Bob Marley", because its real name was far less descriptive...

View attachment 446794
The NSN is:
7330-99-300-7605

I thought you were going to mention the lack of chopped parsley, parsley? I don’t think I ever tasted that within the boundaries of an MOD establishment.
Really?

One remembers a light dusting of chopped parsley on one's butter at Brekkers.

Not in the field obviously, but in the Mess.

Really?

That's got to be right up there with RN cooks putting a few slices of....peach...next to and on a tray of meat pies on the service counter.

Spun this dit before - A yorkshire lad, "Ronnie" Briggs

"What's that chef?"

"It's a meat pie"

"I bloody know that but THAT...Thee-er"

"It's a slice of peach"

"Listen...I've been eating meat pies all my bloody life and I've never seen wun with a bloody peach on top of it...NOW SHIFT IT!!"

Peach was duly shifted.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It might be my memory playing tricks, but I seem to remember range stews and the like being served up from hayboxes rather than norgies.
Depends on how far back you go.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Really?

The Mess? I was but a lowly Guardsman:(.
I know I should have worked harder at school, my drill instructor told me that, in fact he told every one that when we were acting particularly stupid one day.
There were some very nasty words thrown in as well, he wasn’t a very nice man, well to us he wasn’t, he may have been a very decent chap when we weren’t in earshot.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Oxymoron.

There's always some deranged person who is willing to render something inedible to civilised human beings by the inexplicable addition of foul-tasting tripes and trolleybags.

Go and live in China. You'd be happier in China. They understand people like you.
Oh I say how rude. Are you telling me that you’ve gone through life without having had a proper steak and kidney pie or pudding?
You‘ve wasted your life if you haven5 sampled those.

Latest Threads