Army Brown Stew

There was an antenna for the PRC344 UHF set that was just called a "Bob Marley", because its real name was far less descriptive...
Well, it looks as if it has a lot of joints. Was it because the blokes who carried it were wailers? Or crying because their lack of girlfriends?

Maybe on TELIC it was because of your proximity to Babylon?

Funny how some items acquire names. I'm sure the Master Chef doesn't demand "Container, Food, Norgie". It must have some descriptive name and an NSN. Everyone on this thread knows what a Norgie is, but I should imagine only @Joker62 has any chance of knowing what its real name is.

There was an antenna for the PRC344 UHF set that was just called a "Bob Marley", because its real name was far less descriptive...

View attachment 446794
Like the orange ‘winky pot’ lights on vehicles.

And the towing eye rubber protector on the M2 amphibious bridging rig. Known to one and all as the n****r lips.

Like the orange ‘winky pot’ lights on vehicles.

And the towing eye rubber protector on the M2 amphibious bridging rig. Known to one and all as the n****r lips.
That must have been fun if the storeman was black. "Can I have a set of er, er, can't remember its name, the towing eye thingy". "Oh n***er lips. Sure. Here you go, sign here".

I was once forced to witness the cruel punishment of a recruit having to run up a hill holding a dripping Norgie full of boiling hot tea above his head.

dontenn

War Hero
So since PAYD things must of improved, does range stew still exist or is it now cucumber sarnies or burger in a bun or some vegan dross? I do not think the civvies have the skills for range stew is that the case ?

That must have been fun if the storeman was black. "Can I have a set of er, er, can't remember its name, the towing eye thingy". "Oh n***er lips. Sure. Here you go, sign here".
We had a exchange visit with an American bridging unit. One of them asked one of my rig commanders what they were called. The American was about 6’4” and solidly built. He was also not in need of much cam cream.

“They’re n....n......n..n....oh the things we put on the tow hook!”

Septic didn’t bat an eyelid.

It was a bit like Kryten swearing at Rimmer:

Funny how some items acquire names. I'm sure the Master Chef doesn't demand "Container, Food, Norgie". It must have some descriptive name and an NSN. Everyone on this thread knows what a Norgie is, but I should imagine only @Joker62 has any chance of knowing what its real name is.

View attachment 446794

The Matrix just called... it would like its sentinel back...

TheAssassin

Old-Salt

View attachment 446794
And what was the proper name for a Donkey Dick antenna?

Instead of asking "What was in the stew?" ask "What wasn't in the stew?"
Soldier at hotplate, "What's this then, chef?"
Slop jockey, "It's bean stew, mate."
Soldier at hotplate, "Never mind what it's been, I want to know what is now!"

Badoom tish!! :) - with apologies to Spike Milligan.

Personally, I preferred those weird sausage rolls / pasties in the yellow wrappers, which coated the inside of your mouth with a strange residue and had a best before date of June 2050!!

Okay, the above statement is an out and out lie!!

Personally, I preferred those weird sausage rolls / pasties in the yellow wrappers, which coated the inside of your mouth with a strange residue and had a best before date of June 2050!!

Okay, the above statement is an out and out lie!!
My god. I’ve just had a flashback of that residue...

View attachment 446794
We had 'Bastard bags' for the HF DF array - so called because every time you pulled it off the wqgon, it was so heavy it went straight to the floor via your chest, knees and foot, causing you to utter the titular word!

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As others have alluded to, I don't think it matters what the holy feck you put in it. Just stick it in a Norgie for a couple of hours and it will come out tasting, well, warm and wet.

If, when picking up the brass, you also find some little balls that look like they've dropped off brass monkeys, then the temperature is probably low enough to make mystery stew acceptable.

If, on the other hand, the conditions are temperate, then a shoe box containing a curly sandwich, a blue riband choc bar and a spotty apple is probably the easier option.

No need to thank me. :-D
You forgot the gacky hard-boiled egg!

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We had a exchange visit with an American bridging unit. One of them asked one of my rig commanders what they were called. The American was about 6’4” and solidly built. He was also not in need of much cam cream.

“They’re n....n......n..n....oh the things we put on the tow hook!”

Septic didn’t bat an eyelid.

It was a bit like Kryten swearing at Rimmer:

Oi!

C Coy 1 RRW Pond Jump West 1979, I was CQMS and giving our ACC chef a hand with the All in Stew. I even added some biscuits garibaldi to thicken it up, went down a treat with the boys :)
We had a cook who used to thicken the mince with porridge, it was really good and tasty.

Latest Threads