Army Brown Stew

Throw everything you have into one pot. Cook for either 2 weeks, or 20 seconds.

Serve hot, or leave it for several days in a norgi

Don't forget the bread and something that could be tea, or coffee or possibly screech (usually all three)

Once you have cooked it, leave it with someone else to keep hot while you deprive yourself of sleep for a day, get cold, wet, miserable* and run up hills until your feet hurt. Then have the stew served. Food of the gods. I have a glass to hand and I raise it to all in the Aldershot Concrete Company and their successors in the Really Large Corps.

* and NO Phillip Pullman I do not need a fucking 'Oxford Comma' before the and, you pompous tw@t

Sttrory

Old-Salt
Yes sure slop jokey takes a massive turd in the biggest pan he or she's got adds water and boils for 24 hours...... I hate the stuff.

Like most things eaten and savoured in the field (or on the range), you probably wouldn't look at it twice in real life. However, google 'brown stew chicken' - the Caribbean take on brown stew (with rice & peas, plantain and slaw.)

Something else.

Instead of asking "What was in the stew?" ask "What wasn't in the stew?"

Hunger and cold are a great sauce.
But by gum, a decent range stew or Gurkha curry served hot with a dreaming mug of tea and morale soars!
@Spec-op1989 has got it pretty close, but he's left out 5lb carrots, the tight git.

Spangles, and everything else in the pack, as all-in-one that day's single meal, into the pan for thirty minutes simmer, in the dark. Served with croutons, a soupcon of tabasco and a medium room-temperature Chilean Merlot, in a hole, on Dartmoor, with a piece of glossy toilet roll as a napkin, in horizontal rain and sleet, in a farmers 8' x 4' hosed out fertiliser bag, thinly disguised as a bivvy bag.

The recipe won't do it alone, like a fine restaurant you need the trappings as well. L'ambience.

I don’t think it was the stew. I think it was the bread! Has anyone tasted bread like that since?

If you’re on the ranges and it’s pissing down and blowing a gale, as usual, then anything warm tastes like nectar, but that shitty, stale tasting bread took it to another level.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think it was 5lbs meat, 5lbs spuds, 5lbs onions, 5x Oxo, 5 pints water, boil for 5 hours.

Nom.
That's about as near as it comes, plus the addition of 5lb of carrots, salt and pepper. Those with a flair of imagination used to add half a tin of tom puree. This gets slightly thickened with a "scouse roux", basically flour and water mixed to a smooth paste and added gradually, whilst on a rolling simmer, to thicken it up, but keep stirring at the same time as you add it or it will congeal in a solid lump of white gunk.

Latest Threads