ARMY BOOTS

My son has joined the army cadets, and now is the time that he needs to fill in the paperwork and sign up properly.
My ex-hubby, being the mean 'person' that he is, told my son he would pay the registration/uniform fee (£10) if I buy the boots! Not daft is he?!!

Having said that, I dont mind TOO much, as I know he would buy the cheapest possible, and I will buy the best that I can afford, for my son.

I would like to ask for some advice, if I may? Is there any preference for any particular brand/style of boot? What is the best, and what is the best value for money?

Thanks in advance. Oh, and where is the best place to buy? My son's asked but he can never remember the answer, when I ask him, and my ex takes him there, so I dont get to ask the staff.

I am a cadet and i wear lowas. They are really good on exercise and look smart as well. I have seen a lot of the staff and regulars and TA guys wearing them as well

He's a cadet, don't buy "military boots" , he won't be doing life or death tabs through sleet snow and hail. something like these, lightweight and comfortable, The ACF is a civilian childrens organisation not the SAS.

If I were you I'd get hold of some surplus issue boots. Your son is presumably still growing, so spending 120 quid or so on a pair of boots he's going to wear once a week for a few months before outgrowing them seems a bit of a waste.

If he gets on well and enjoys the cadets, you can consider getting him some gucci boots when he's stopped growing.

Just my thoughts, it's your son and your money.

T_T

Watch it with Iowas for Cadets, remember he is going to out grow them pretty soon - they'll be ruined after a couple of runs of an assault course, and once they get wet inside they stay wet.

The standard issue combat boots are just fine, and they polish up mighty fine and you'll get them for £30ish surplus.

The issue boots are cheap and actually quite good you can get an adults pair for around £25-30 so his will be cheaper and last a long time. Don't spend too much because who is to say he wont enjoy it or get bored in a few months

CQMS said:
He's a cadet, don't buy "military boots" , he won't be doing life or death tabs through sleet snow and hail. something like these, lightweight and comfortable, The ACF is a civilian childrens organisation not the SAS.
I would be suspicious of Magnum boots, Iv'e had three pairs fail on me in quick sucsession. the first pair had leather that quickly bubbled and its outer (shiny) layer peeled off, the second pair's zip broke after I wore them to collage for a few days (to break them in) and the third pair had the same problem on top of scaffel pike, in the snow :(

I think their design is more for urban use by police and simmilar, rather than field use, as they let the water in something awful.

phaserrifle said:
CQMS said:
I would be suspicious of Magnum boots, Iv'e had three pairs fail on me in quick sucsession. the first pair had leather that quickly bubbled and its outer (shiny) layer peeled off, the second pair's zip broke after I wore them to collage for a few days (to break them in) and the third pair had the same problem on top of scaffel pike, in the snow :(

I think their design is more for urban use by police and simmilar, rather than field use, as they let the water in something awful.
My issue boot lasted 3 years as an infantry stab and a couple of years on the building sites :D nothing wrong with them and cheap

Issue boots.

They may not be fancy, but they work and are reasonably priced in surplus shops.

If you care for your son's feet, don't buy second hand. It may seem tough breaking them in, but at least they'll be broken in to HIS feet, not somebody else's.

Encourage bulling. Once you get it as a routine, it's relaxing. It impresses AIs. It impresses other cadets. AND, when your son outgrows them, there'll be some lazy so-and-so who'll be daft enough to pay over the odds for them. Don't worry about scuffing them - once bulled, they can be brought back to a good standard fairly quickly.

futuregrunt said:
And i wore them on my DofE with no problems!
No disrespect here, but, you've done nothing, feck all in a military sense.

I will admire any youngster who takes up the challenge of ACF or DofE, they are both admirable schemes. They do not give you an insight to living in a ditch for a week though.

Ah yes but.... CQMS,

the question is about boots for a young lad starting as a cadet. Not about some hairy arse Bill Oddie setting out on ops...

So therefore it's not unreasonable that another cadet may have more relevant info than you mate.

Me? for cadets, I'd reccomend a pair of TracPacs and a can of Fabsil. Cheap and waterproof. Also quite comfy for cadet use only.

Try these out:

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/stock.php?page=bigpic&item=20099

You'll have to ring him for sizes available but the one who runs it is a good bloke and very reasonable with the prices.

As for breaking them in, best off wearing them in the bath and trudging around in them for a bit, seems to soften up the leather. Once worn in they are grand.

You'd be well advised getting some spare bootlaces, proper thick socks and comfy thick insoles too, the issued insoles that come with them aren't up to much.

Wow, thanks,everyone! There are a few different views, all of which are appreciated. I was kinda thinking around £120 for a a pair, but I can see the point about buying the cheaper ones, which seem just as good. I will try the links which were given. ( No disrespect to anyone if I dont go with their suggestion.....) Yeah, I agree with the idea that I should buy new ones, to mould to my own sons feet. Ive always been careful about such things.

Errr. .. just one last thing (sorry to be a pain!) this thing about bulling them - how often is it done, and what do you use? I think someone DID mention one product, which I will scroll back up to and check out

I am rather hoping he decides to go in the army. There's a few things he's thinking of, maybe college & TA, or job & TA or full army. I thought that if he goes in for the full army, he might be able to continue his education, as well as be trained, and be paid, so my feeling was this was the best way to go, as he would get all that he wants, at the same time. Plus, he might be sent to places where he might otherwise never go.

Don't bull them. No need, unless for special parades or something. Do a search on here, there's a huge thread all about it.

For proper soldiering, hardwearing, long distance, day in day out, non-growing soldier type wear then Altberg Defenders are the business.

For your son, surplus bog standard issue boots will be fine, and comparitively cheap, as has been said above.