Army book for the layman.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by broadside, May 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.

I need a book that explains the intricacies of the British Army - hierarchies, units, technologies etc - in a comprehensible but reasonably thorough manner and beginning with the very basics. So I was wondering if someone out there could recommend something?

Thanks very much in advance.

2. [​IMG]

did me wonders.

dang have had a sensible attack.

If you are on the net good old wiki won't let you down on this.

3. or you could try army.mod.uk

4. Cheers for the suggestions. Coincidentally had tried em both already and
    was looking for something slightly more engaging, explanatory and in more of an 'x for dummies' style. I fondly remember a ladybird book I had on the subject with some kick ass illustrations which would have done the job nicely, showing just how little I have matured intellectually in all these years. Oh well I'm sure if I scout about a bit I'll find something, was just wondering if anything stood out. Thanks again.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Perhaps we could help a bit more if you could tell us why...

degree paper?

dodgy journo about to get embedded?

casual interest?

considering working in Iraq with an NGO and want to interract better with the military?

From AQ and want to interrogate Brit forces?

6. cant believe this hasnt been done yet do i get a free copy?

Attached Files:

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

picking up the brass and Malc's tanky one are both good but too corps specific. You'll learn everything about the corps, but precious little about the rest of the army..

8. I've got that one! I bought two copies, one which I raped for the illustrations to frame, another for posterity!

9. Hehe - sorry, nope, nothing half so interesting. Aspiring to join the army and wanted to do some homework. Need the basics as I don't have access to military relatives who oculd hold my hand through that type of thing. One book I did read recently was 'Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs' . . . something further in that style would be perfect - ie entertaining and with an eye to enlightening the uninitiated.

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

i recommend picking up the brass

11. Thanks for mentioning the book sad that you recommended non armoured over my epistle to Tanking. :cry:

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Can you guess who sent me a free copy?

13. I was going to but, I thought you'd already got one????