Army Blood Transfusion Service

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RHODESIAN, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorting out some old boxes from way back the other day and I came across my old blood donar book from the Army blood service,can anyone tell me if this is still going? or is it something else the politico's have killed off,it dates back to the 70's,thanks for any help
  2. Tried Yahoo UK and went through pages but nothing really found except that just after WWII this happened:

At the cessation of hostilities, the plasma processing equipment from the Army Blood Transfusion Service was moved to the Lister Institute in Chelsea. Further plants were installed at Elstree, which became the Blood Products Laboratory.

It doesn't help that I can't stand the sight of blood.
    Virtually fainted.
  3. Thanks mistersoft,I have distinct memories of giving a pint to avoid the assault course comp,it seemed a good option
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I believe it closed down a few years ago in Aldershot as the ABSD, the best course a medic ever got on!!
  5. It did relocate to Luggershall (spelling) opposite MSA after leaving Aldershot, as I attended a course there in about 2002, but I don't think it actually held donor sessions as such more of a central resource point. I believe it came under the control of 84 FMed when deployed. IIRC it sourced it's blood from the Southampton National Blood Transfusion centre. I think I heard rumours of it moving once again to Birmingham but I could be wrong.

6. I have Army certificates up to about 1989, but seem to remember getting civilian ones soon after that.

7. Thanks for your help everyone,thats the form Beentheredonethat,in a little red book