Army blames Iraq for drop in recruits

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Guardian_Reader, Dec 19, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. overstretch, kit inefficiencies and cutbacks have nothing to do with it? :roll:
  2. :lol:

A hobby LOL!!

They may as well as put this in,
    I would say there are some valid points in the article then they mix in a bit of speculation just give it added punch!!
  3. 307

307 War Hero

Anyone who joins the terriers now and doesnt expect to be deployed is looking at the world from beneath blinkers. If it gets bad, I fully expect a envelope.
  4. Never knew that all our potential Crows had such high moral opinions.

Nothing to do with The Army getting cut whilst simultaneously having everybody except those actually on Barrack Guard either in Iraq or NI.

Unlike the Guardian to use a load of nonsense as an excuse to grind it`s anti war axe.
  5. i think some of it , is how squaddies are getting crapped on when their services are no longer needed.
    wages is lower than civvie street
    the regimental mergers
  6. why do a hard job when you can sit on your arse and claim benefits??

that's the way most 17/18 year olds will see it
  7. Do you know that for a fact? Why don't you actually ask some of these young people rather than slate them because they make an easy target.

Think about it, if you were looking for a job that you could do well in, were appreciated and get paid a decent wage fpr the hard work you put in would you choose the Army? I sure as hell know that it's not the money that keeps you wearing the uniform.
  8. yes I think I do no that. I'm 21, my brother is 18, so I know a hell of a lot of youths of different classes and backgrounds
  9. Well I have to confess, at the moment I would not advise anyone to join up for a couple of reasons:

Blair / TCH cannot be trusted, to send our troops to war with the correct kit.
    Blair / TCH can be trusted to lie about the reasons for a war.
    Blair / TCH will make sure that there are plenty of lawyers ready to prosecute you is you make a mistake.
    Blair / TCH cannot be trusted not to cut you out as soon as he thinks you are too expensive. He will then calim its all the Army's idea.
    Blair / TCH will take on more commitments at the same time as making cuts.

Once TCH and B Lair are no longer in government I might reconsider my position.
  10. If I was a youngster looking at the Forces as an option, I too would give it a miss.

The reasons? All of the above, also a distict lack of care or compensation for you, should you be injuried as a result of deployment. :evil:

So poor recruiting, poor retention and now cut-backs........makes sense doesn't it :?
  11. i think the army has done its self no favours in its image by not robustly defending itself over Deepcut etc. And then all the negative publicity over IRAQ plus the feeling that neither the heirarchy or the politicians give a stuff about the armed forces would put people off.
  12. It seems the US are worried too:
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

So, what's the chances of the Army tripling Retention bonuses, and Bounty for the TA?

Answers on a postcard, please, to Mr TC Hoon :!:
  14. don't tell them about the bounty or a they'll tax it or b add in the operational requirement to qualify. they're rumoured to be looking at removing the lock out period following call up.