Army base closures - bad news

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by putteesinmyhands, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21665240

As I said, bad news. In that the article doesn't get around to telling us which Army bases are due to close despite the title.

2. Cawdor Barracks (Brawdy) is gone. 14 Sigs moving to St.Athan.

3. I see there's a new RMP unit.

Special Operations Unit Royal Military Police (SourMP). How apt, especially as they're going to longmoor.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Good lord there's no one left. Do we now qualify as a defence force?

5. The Army might. Not sure about the paramilitary wing of BMI Baby. :rabbit:

We've not had an "all out" war since 1945. Granted the services have remained very active but isn't a slimmed down Defence Force the kind of thing we should be able to manage with after almost 70 years without direct threat of invasion and 20 years after the end of the Cold War? The Army should have been home before now, a benefit of Europe's maturity as a continent.

Vested interests and lobbies aside why not merge all 3 services into one, smaller, force still?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it depends on if they decide to include abbey wood in the deployable force figures.

we should be a defense force by our own definition which of course means they'll just redefine it.

that or change the title to 'dept for homeland (and a few other bits) security', we're sorry that due to cost cutting and shit spending plans nobody is available to wage your war right now, please leave a message after the beep.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well the navy is supposed to be a combined arms force.

8. HQ 11th Infantry Bde to locate in Aldershot ????? Good thing we closed it down four years ago then, I guess they can blow locks on the old building, dust off the cobwebs and resume work?

Actually, it looks like the "new" 11 Bde is the merging of 145X and 2X to form a new Reserve Bde.

Light Dragoons loose Swanton Morely to the QDG! Ouch.

9. There's been a tremendous amount of cooperation and transfer of personnel into roles in Afghanistan. Naval medics with Army, Joint Helicopter units, Naval & RAF air support etc. Every individual service has elements of the other two services within their commands. Naval helicopters, Royal Marines, RAF Regiment, AAC, RLC units with boats etc

It makes sense to formalise it all under one banner. One force. The only thing that would stop it would be lobbys and "tradition".

10. The French and Belgians are going to be upset when we pull out of Europe. We made a right mess of the beaches last time.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Canada and 1960s ring a bell? They have gone back to the old model now of Army, RCN and RCAF coz it didn't work!

• Like Like x 4
  12. I was hoping it would be a bit less fraught this time :)

13. Any idea why? Was it people not wanting it to work because they lost out or were there other reasons? How long did they give it?

I've been through transitions as my employer was taken over a couple of times. Methods and branding etc change as a result. I could see it be hard short term because whoever was in command would either have been Army, Navy or Air Force previously and people woud have to get used to changes. But eventually the leadership would all be "Defence Force" and the changes would be the norm again.