Army anti bullying policy failure to be exposed

Anyone know about this? It was in my local paper last night. Sorry there is no LINK

I just typed up the first part, WITHOUT NAMEING NAMES.

What are the rules governing serving soldiers other half, from publishing a book on such matters?

Army anti bullying policy failure to be exposed
By Jan Harich

A number of senior army officers are soon to be criticised in a new book to be published in the new year by a serving soldiers wife. The book involving the service redress procedure and the controversial Manning Control policy, is expected to highlight a culture of bullying and subsequent cover up during investigations by officers. One such officer is a Brigadier who is soon to collect his CBE from the Queen next week, the same officer was exposed in the Sunday Express and channel 4 news only this year for forging documents to cover up an investigation in bullying.

With recruitment and retention at an all time low and more damming evidence of a bullying culture in the armed forces, the publication of the book could further hamper the MODs attempts to convince the public it takes bullying seriously

I think it would be OK, after all most officers like to big themselves up in a book, why not a pad telling it as it is. The only problem I see is slander.

I remember an LE who was offered a publishing contract to tell his version of the Falklands, his story. It was said he would exposed a number of highly decorated officers for alleged walt type acts of daring do as nothing more then cowards in the face of battle, who took the credit for soldiers who did the real deed and paid the price. I was later told he was handsomely paid off by the MOD not to do it. If its going to ruffle feathers after all the bad press on bullying in the army and high ranking officers are involved I would be not be shocked if the same happens on this one. :roll:

I think it would be OK, after all most officers like to big themselves up in a book, why not a pad telling it as it is. The only problem I see is slander.
Slander if any part of the book is an untruth and states it is based on fact.

Aside with that, what would be the incoming for the serving soldier if wife was to tell all, Would he be subject to Admin. action true or not? any Adjt out there?

kennys-go-nad said:

Aside with that, what would be the incoming for the serving soldier if wife was to tell all, Would he be subject to Admin. action true or not? any Adjt out there?
If "wife was to tell all" then serving soldier better have a bloody good defence as to why he did not tell her all and indeed how he thought she might otherwise have come by the information. If the wife of a soldier serving in my unit had produced such an expose, I suspect my CO would have reached straight for Section 69 and the OSA, masking taped them together, added a stapler to provide weight and stability before instructing me to throw the things at said soldier - at groin height!!

Cuddles said:
kennys-go-nad said:

If "wife was to tell all" then serving soldier better have a bloody good defence as to why he did not tell her all and indeed how he thought she might otherwise have come by the information. If the wife of a soldier serving in my unit had produced such an expose, I suspect my CO would have reached straight for Section 69 and the OSA, masking taped them together, added a stapler to provide weight and stability before instructing me to throw the things at said soldier - at groin height!!
From the reading the soldiers complaint involves harassment of the soldiers wife, so I guess she would have sight of the redress if not have provided statements. There are other links but I know there are sensitive issues involved with this subject.

E

error_unknown

I've actually seen officers conspire to lie and falsify statements regarding bullying to make the complainant look bad. The whole system stinks to high heaven and the sooner we have a soldiers federation the better i say!

Herrenbloke said:
I've actually seen officers conspire to lie and falsify statements regarding bullying to make the complainant look bad.
What did you do about that then?

msr

I think there is a problem in recognising just what is hard training and what is bullying. Quite often with many people that join the Forces this is the first time they have been made to do what they are told. There is not discussion about it, they are expected to act on their order even if they dint like them. With many of these the new recruits they have cruised through school ignored the rules and told the the teacher to EFF of when ever it took their fancy, and treated their parents in much the same way. So there is a huge shock in being shouted at and made to do as you are told, now to many of them is nothing less bullying.

Continuous attitude surveys detail less than 10% of those who record answers report bullying (with obviously a much smaller amount of proved bullying accusations)

This compares with 28% in the Police and 48% in the NHS

Bullies are weak twats who need sorting out, but the Army has less of a problem than the papers say we have

B

Biscuits_AB

Herrenbloke said:
I've actually seen officers conspire to lie and falsify statements regarding bullying to make the complainant look bad. The whole system stinks to high heaven and the sooner we have a soldiers federation the better i say!
I was the victim of such a stunt and it opens your eyes when Officers lie. Quite a rude awakening for me. All trust went after that. I have never trusted an Officer since, particularly LEs. The system needs a radical change, not a shake up. I was once of the old school attitude that 'soldiers federations' weren't required as there is no place for a union type organisation in the Forces, but having been on the receiving end of such conduct, I now believe that a federation or at least an independant body is a neccessity.

It will come, it's only a matter of time. People can argue that the existence of such bodies will be to the detriment of the organisation as a whole. That may be so, but the organisation only has itself to blame.

Bullying comes in many forms and the Army is one place where it can hide, safe in the knowledge that it will be protected as an Officers loyalty is to his 'Brother Officer'.

Wittmann said:
Bullies are weak **** who need sorting out, but the Army has less of a problem than the papers say we have
Ruddy Hell, I thought I was the only person on the planet that had similar views.

Schools reckon bullying is increasing at alarming levels on the playground, but is the truth not that teachers can no longer identify bullying? Some of the things I experienced on the playground and was seen as "kids being kids" is now seen as bullying. On the same note, what I experienced in basic training yonks ago was seen as part and parcel of that training but today is not tolerated. Every aspect of life is getting softer. The Army I joined is not the Army we have today and the Civvie Street I will soon be joining I am sure is not the Civvie Street I left in "84". Whatever happend to "Survival of the fittest"? If you were weak and clever then you didn't join the Army. If you were weak and dim then found yourself in the Army you soon got out.

All the old boys (EX National Service) I speak to seem very disapointed that the Army dosn't have Regimental Baths like they used to. I wonder what they deem as bullying?

I have never trusted an Officer since, particularly LEs
Some LE's are fine individuals, and a font of all knowledge as well as being decent all round good eggs.

Some are most definitely not. Particularly those who seem to suffer from premature senility.

I might be missing something here but lets face it a book on the failures of the Army's redress system is unlikely to make the best seller list. Equally are there any further 'juicey' issues to be revealed to the media they haven't already been exposed? It's a non-story and will be forgotten within days of being published.

Birdie_Numnums said:
I might be missing something here but lets face it a book on the failures of the Army's redress system is unlikely to make the best seller list. Equally are there any further 'juicey' issues to be revealed to the media they haven't already been exposed? It's a non-story and will be forgotten within days of being published.
There are are two kinds of courage a Soldier needs to have, one is physical, one is MORAL, one is harder to obtain, WHICH ONE IS IT?

Q for you.

What does the word ASSUME make?

Yes, it makes an "ASS" out of "U" & "ME". :lol:

If a book has little chance of making it to a shelf, a publisher would not bother the wonger. Personally, I think with all the things going on in the forces with bullying and the lack of a proactive, and even sided complaints policy, it will not be just a one day wonder. If some Officers are to have egg on face as a result of this book then good. bring it on..anyone know what it is called or what officer gets the most egg? :lol:

THESUNJOCK said:
Birdie_Numnums said:
There are are two kinds of courage a Soldier needs to have, one is physical, one is MORAL, one is harder to obtain, WHICH ONE IS IT?

Q for you.

What does the word ASSUME make?

Yes, it makes an "ASS" out of "U" & "ME". :lol:

If a book has little chance of making it to a shelf, a publisher would not bother the wonger. Personally, I think with all the things going on in the forces with bullying and the lack of a proactive, and even sided complaints policy, it will not be just a one day wonder. If some Officers are to have egg on face as a result of this book then good. bring it on..anyone know what it is called or what officer gets the most egg? :lol:
Not quite sure what you are asking me here Sunjock?

They could self publish; ie photocopy off 50 copies for media release and sell em on-line. You are closer to it than me but I just don't see that its got legs from a media point of view besides the papers have already run the story before it is published which sort of kills off the impact of its launch.

No matter how worthy the issue as a media event I reckon it will be a fizzer.