Army alarm at surge in number of officers resigning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Jan 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Not exactly surprising but promotion prospects must be good for those who stay :wink:
  2. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

I don't see why that article support that supposition. In many cases people are leaving because with a shrinking military the opportunities for command and promotion are also reducing!
  3. "Here's to a bloody war, or a foul pestilence".

Or an intransigent government with no understanding of the realities of service life and death.
  4. One day Broon 'might' take his finger out.
  5. Agreed, plus the increase bureaucracy and brown nosing need to move up - for me spending 9 months out of 12 away from home - plus if you're going to have to drive the old mahogany chariot you might as well get a better quality of life for it :wink:
  6. Mmm. Promotion prospects increasing if your aspiration is to reach giddy ranks of captain and major.
  7. of his right eye!!!??
  8. An MoD statement said: "Retention initiatives are proving successful - more than 2000 soldiers have recently signed up to the Infantry Financial Retention Initiative to stay in the Army for an additional two years.

"The latest quarterly manning report showed there had been a 4.3% increase - 810 people - in the number of new recruits who have joined the forces in the 12 months to September 30, 2007."

MoD laying down smoke as usual.

"2000 soldiers" - yet the article is about loss of officers

"4.3 increase" in those joining - what about those leaving? This doesn't equate to a 4.3% increase in actual manpower at all. And again, this doesn't relate to officers' recruitment and/or retention.

How thick do they think we all are? When will they stop politicing and start doing the job?
  9. I wonder if anyone has contacted the members of the CAPTAINS SIGNED OFF MASSIF group on Facebook to ask why...
  10. msr

msr LE

Let's face it, until poor retention is going to impact on your OJAR, no-one is going to give a toss.

11. Is this more or less than the total of officers that left in 2006 - I seem to remember an article claiming many more that 1400.

How many of the 2007 out-take are passed over majors and captains that have reached the end of their short service engagements.
  12. I doubt there loss will have any impact as the back bone of the army has and always and will be run by the NCO's. (dont worry too much) the Armed forces have been taking abit of a battering recently they will bounce back, stronger and better as usual (that includes the horroficers) :D
  13. Tend to agree with MSR's comment, but it does make me wonder; Is the rate of loss the same throughout all capbadges / units?
  14. I guess they all saw what Captain Blunt, formerly of the Household Cavalry did. They now want to try for themselves. Must 've seen Blunt on Top Gear getting all matey with Clarkson.

Who can blame them, I'd want to get all matey with Clarkson. But then I'm just a lowly noncom and will never even be allowed near Horseguards or the Stig...
  15. Same trend being noted in US Army despite huge retention bonuses for Captains.