Army Air Corp Pilots (NCO)

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by pomistea, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi-

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice.

I want to be an army helicopter pilot.
    I'm 30 so it seems that the only option open to me is to join as an Army Air Corp soldier and then try to advance onto pilot training.
    I already have a private helicopter pilot's licence (JAA) so that might help my case.

I don't mind having to join up and spend 2 years or so as a regular soldier before going on to pilot training but I obviously my fear is that I'd join up and never get into the pilot training.
    I'd like to join the army but my main goal in life is to fly so if I can't do it through the army I'll stick with going the civvy route.

Any advice / info would be brilliant?
    Are there only very few that go from being Air Corp Soldiers to being pilots?
    Would army recruitment be likely to mislead me slightly just to get a new recruit in?
    I.e. would they let on that I had a really good chance to get on to being a pilot even though the chances were slim?

Please give me all the info that you can.

-Cheers...

2. No doubt some more qualified people than me will be on later, but to get you started have a shufti here and here

3. Your a bit long in the tooth mate, I dont think you could do it as I believe the age limit is 31, what types are you current on, one of my friends flys for Bond on contract to the RN and he is knocking on a bit

4. It`s not just the ability to pilot a heli. You need to do about twenty things at once.

5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Wait for some of the serving Corps members and current aircrew to post before listening to blokes who are 30 years out of date.

I left 14 years ago so there is little point in me giving you any input.

Any probs with who to probe, drop me a PM

7. Porridge_gun

Thanks for that tropper, but like I say, lets let the blokes who are current respond?

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I thought that the age had extended to 32, but may be wrong. I know it's been a little bit "flexible" in a few cases for extenuating circumstances i.e. joined late. AGAI's currently states:

As you're already 30 and not even in yet, you've well and truly missed the boat on this one.

Sorry and all that.

9. I served with a guy who failed Grading about two years before I did :oops: who achieved, in his own time, his Rotary wing PPL, but then managed to balls it all up on the fixed wing Chipmunk T10's :D

10. Left a couple of years ago, so not that current.

couple of points:-

1. A Mil Pilot is a totally different job to a Civ Pilot.
    2. Being a Pilot is not a guaranteed pass.
    3. The AAC is full of very capable Air troopers many wanting to go Flying so you will face some very stiff opposition for a small number of seats.

As others have said you have probably missed the boat and I'd suggest that if you can you keep going for the civvy option. Things are slowly improving.

12. But you were Sigs scum weren't you? :D

13. Porridge_gun

Yes trig, hence me not offering up any advice.

No wonder you were Air Trooper IC de-rusting road springs :D

14. Great if he was applying to be a Sioux pilot but in this century, you are wrong.

pomistea, as superfrog has alluded to, I'm afraid you're too old. By the time you've actually joined the AAC and appear in a Regt as a trained soldier (we aint recruiting at the moment cos we're full), you'll at best be 32. Even if you are the best thing since sliced bread (sorry but a few hours in a Robbo out of Redhill isn't a free ticket) and get fast tracked, you will be older than my flying gloves. We can be reasonably flexible on age but its supply and demand. We have a plentiful supply at present so wouldnt be willing to take an OAP. Sorry to break the bad news to you but I think its only fair you know the score early on from someone who is still serving (as is the Steven Fry look-e-likey; superfrog)

Do not under any circumstances believe a recruiter who tells you you can be a pilot within 2 years and even better because you already having a PPL(H)!

15. Porridge_gun

Tropper, from the horses mouth from a current serving AAC badge.

Whilst am sure you are attempting to he helpful, do us a favour and think before pressing submit, and if you are in doubt, don't bother and put your lips in the toaster.