Army aims to boost Afghan force in Helmand with 600 troops.

#1
Army aims to boost Afghanistan force in Helmand with 600 troops
By Richard Savill
Last Updated: 1:56am GMT 22/03/2008

An extra 600 British troops could be sent to Afghanistan, it was claimed yesterday.

The expected move will raise the number of British soldiers fighting the Taliban above 8,000 for the first time.

Military chiefs are believed to want to take advantage of recent triumphs and need 150 more infantry to hold the town of Musa Qala in Helmand province, recently recaptured from the Taliban.
More on the link
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/22/wafg222.xml
 
#2
These must be the inflatable troops kept in the back room at whitehall then?
 
#3
Where are they going to get these troops from, then? Brown chopped 2000 infantry last year and, as far as I am aware, our last available infantry unit (Welsh Guards) was deployed to Kosovo last month. Is there an Infantry Bn. tucked away in a glass case in Whitehall with a sign saying 'in case of emergency, please break the glass'?
 
#6
Some are already there, hidden away in the detail. 1R Welsh have been providing Company Groups from Cyprus since the middle of last year.

A Company who recently deployed for a 4-6 week Operation, have now been extended to 4 Months.
 
#7
EX_STAB said:
Presumably there will be a lot of OHMS letters in the post next week then....
Sh1t i asked for next March.... Mrs YK wont be happy.... 8O
 
#8
I was speaking to a Colour Bloke from 3 PWRR (or whatever the TA PWRR is!) and he said that there is a rumour going around his unit, that two TA Battalions are being mobilised completely to deploy.Could this be where the mystery 600 are coming from?
 
#9
mick4075 said:
I was speaking to a Colour Bloke from 3 PWRR (or whatever the TA PWRR is!) and he said that there is a rumour going around his unit, that two TA Battalions are being mobilised completely to deploy.Could this be where the mystery 600 are coming from?
It's the Reserve of Choice!
 
#10
I think it will take more than 2 Battalions to generate 600.

msr
 
#11
Is it a coincidence that the government has just announced a big review of the use of Reserve Forces then?
 
#12
How about mobilising 600 MP's? It might stop them claiming so much in expenses for a few months........ :roll:
 
#13
mnairb said:
Where are they going to get these troops from, then? Brown chopped 2000 infantry last year and, as far as I am aware, our last available infantry unit (Welsh Guards) was deployed to Kosovo last month. Is there an Infantry Bn. tucked away in a glass case in Whitehall with a sign saying 'in case of emergency, please break the glass'?
well it's good to see you've done your research :roll:
 
#14
Invicta said:
How about mobilising 600 MP's? It might stop them claiming so much in expenses for a few months........ :roll:
I have visions of British soldiers calling a ceasefire with Terry while BOTH groups shoot at the MP's! :twisted:

Oh, if only... :D
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top