Army abuse trial collapses

I rather suspect that it is more an adopted posture handed down from national service days. I would venture to suggest that a modern day soldier could complete their entire service without so much as seeing a MP.... unless of course they were absolutely determined to do so.
Which may of course suggest that like national service, RMP Is of the past and thus fairly irrelevant in the modern day.

Just a thought...

I didn't, I was a soldier with police training and the power to feck your weekend up if you failed the attitude test. ;)
A soldier with barely any real police training who gets their jollies by attempting to intimidate real soldiers ;)

But back on thread, this is a thread about how justice as it is in the military, failed because someone mistakenly thought that RMP were actually police officers.

If I were still serving and someone had committed a criminal offence, I'd call civpol and make a formal complaint. What I wouldn't do is report it to RMP, because one of their objectives is to protect the reputation of the military, and they'll do that at the expense of the individual.

Not bothered about your training, otherwise I would have joined the REME.
Or maybe you tried, face it your boys and girls messed up and this and 100s of other cases

I spent six long months training to receive those powers, why shouldn't I use them? I wasn't a RMP NCO to win popularity contests. ;)
Most of us spend longer than that becoming soldiers. Feckin swan vesta heed.

"why do monkeys go around in pairs"? Answer: "so that one can help the other get up the tree".

Last edited:
Things must have changed immensely in the 25 years since I've left. I was trained properly to do the job, and I was good at it.
How do you know? In order to know the answer, one has to have a comparison. If you're only comparing yourself to other primates in green, then the mark is already pretty low. If you're comparing yourself to say an infantryman,, then I'd love to see how that works out and if you're comparing yourself to a home office police officer, well, good luck with that comparison....but hey, I'm sure you were wonderful :rolleyes:

One could have seen this coming as Albertous Junior who left Harrogate in 2010 so several years before the alleged incidents was contacted by the SIB about 3 years ago and asked to give a statement about any bullying he was aware of during his time at Harrogate as "someone" had said there was bullying in 2010.

FFS take about desperate. My advice to him as his father and a lawyer and former soldier was that they were desperate for anything and to tell them it was a long time ago and you cannot remember anything. Junior said he didn't need to remember anything as there was no bullying by the DS

Better still, do away with the entire army. They're already well on the way.
Entirely possible but until that day arrives...

... of the army and the RMP, the latter depends on the former for its very existence whereas the former wouldn't miss a step if the latter suddenly ceased to exist.

I have no personal axe to grind with RMP - only one very trivial encounter when stopped and promptly sent on my way as I (duty driver) was leaving Sennelager to return to Paderborn.

How do you know? In order to know the answer, one has to have a comparison. If you're only comparing yourself to other primates in green, then the mark is already pretty low. If you're comparing yourself to say an infantryman,, then I'd love to see how that works out and if you're comparing yourself to a home office police officer, well, good luck with that comparison....but hey, I'm sure you were wonderful :rolleyes:
I haven't mentioned HO police in any of my posts, I was actually comparing policing in the army from my time to now. At least in my time on the whole, soldiers were self disciplined. Of course there were exceptions to the rule, hence the need for service police.

For matters as serious as these alleged abuses , I personally believe the Civ Police should take the lead with the RMP/RAPP or navy monkeys as advisors on Military matters. IMHO they should only have precedent on Ops ...and only then as theres no one else.

That's where it would go pear shaped. Civvy police are very quick in handing soldiers over to RMP for them to deal. It leaves them to deal with more serious civilian related crime. Same as my job now, the police are happy to leave us handling incidents on the motorway unless it involves enforcement of criminality.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Phew, thank the Lord. That proves their not a pack of incompetent *******.
Now back to the original point. How can the monkeys, be so incompetent yet avoid being disbanded.
Get them back to the role they are trained for and competent at. Waving at convoy traffic like a mong with a shiny new balloon and things would be greatly improved. The incompetent shower of shite that they are.
They have a lovely get-out-of-jail-free card, which is their authority is independent of the chain of command. As far as I understood it, this means ANY chain of command, at the appropriate levels. This is sensibly so they cannot be influenced in investigations. I flat out saw it used by an FPM to avoid criticism, too.

I'm unclear on where and how this is founded and where it stops, but from looking at other drabs of law, it's quite possible that they are a legally named authority given certain powers: in other words, it would take parliament to change a law.

The Army are never going to suggest anything like this, because it would almost certainly torpedo the whole military justice system (including AGAI). This is because the mil justice system has no distinction, like in the civil one, between civil and criminal law. It's a seamless transition from verbal warnings by a line manager up to full courts martial. The military police fill the investigatory role for criminal cases. To disband them, the entire system would have to be rewritten, and under scrutiny - as it is from both parliament and civil rights groups, see the comments by Liberty in the original article - it would quite probably just be neutered or binned. Senior officers have been fighting a rearguard action for years to ensure that doesn't happen.

Personally, I think it can't happen soon enough. The Army has proven itself time and again to misuse those powers. They need to be, at a minimum, limited to operations only, and potentially binned altogether.