Army abuse trial collapses

Because we need to police overseas. Serious offences occur overseas, often in war zones. HOPF doesn't have the jurisdiction, nor the capability to investigate.
We need to police in the Uk to have the experience and knowledge to police overseas.
You can't have one without the other.

Who do you suggest takes control of serious offences in the military environment? The unit? Or specially trained troops, who are independent from the chain of command?
The military has had its own justice system for time immemorial, one court case falling through isn't going to change that.
That something has been in place for time immemorial does not mean that it remains fit for purpose for eternity. My view is that RMP and more particularly, the Courts Martial system are anachronisms of the modern age.

That something has been in place for time immemorial does not mean that it remains fit for purpose for eternity. My view is that RMP and more particularly, the Courts Martial system are anachronisms of the modern age.
Care to propose an alternative?

Hoi.
Don't diss my corps.

I got done quite a bit by RMP. Even SIB had a go at me once for having the temerity to lose my helmet and get bottled by a female (questionable at best) in Belfast during a bit of a riot. (Evidently the creature had history but it was easier to fheck me around)

Even stapling red hats to the ceiling of the galley (scoff hall) in aldergrove or booby -trapping their heads in the Plastic Pub On their Chrimbo do didnt pee them off too much.

Nicking their flag did though. 1974 was a hoot for winding Aldergrove monkeys up
1974? I was just starting junior school. ;)

Hoi.
Don't diss my corps.

I got done quite a bit by RMP. Even SIB had a go at me once for having the temerity to lose my helmet and get bottled by a female (questionable at best) in Belfast during a bit of a riot. (Evidently the creature had history but it was easier to fheck me around)

Even stapling red hats to the ceiling of the galley (scoff hall) in aldergrove or booby -trapping their heads in the Plastic Pub On their Chrimbo do didnt pee them off too much.

Nicking their flag did though. 1974 was a hoot for winding Aldergrove monkeys up

We had a plastic pub at Lisanelly. 2RTR 79 - 80.

Care to propose an alternative?
Post #298. I also like the idea of the MoD Police (MDP) going under the Home Office umbrella and expanding its role to become a completely autonomous triservice policing body. (Current service police transferred perhaps?)

As I said earlier, I really have no personal axe to grind with RMP or the military justice system - neither has ever done anything to me - I just believe both, in their current form are past their sell by date. As somebody else said, an awful lot of skills are being outsourced these days so why not policing and justice?

Post #298. I also like the idea of the MoD Police (MDP) going under the Home Office umbrella and expanding its role to become a completely autonomous triservice policing body. (Current service police transferred perhaps?)

As I said earlier, I really have no personal axe to grind with RMP or the military justice system - neither has ever done anything to me - I just believe both, in their current form are past their sell by date. As somebody else said, an awful lot of skills are being outsourced these days so why not policing and justice?
I did say something similar earlier on in the thread. ;)

As much as I agree with the concept of the MDP taking a greater role, it would require a huge and dare I say almost unachievable amount of retraining for the existing work force. The best way to manage this would be to do as The Met did with LHR when Rome and Vienna airports were attacked. Because the BAA constabulary were not HO warranted, The Met took over LHR almost overnight and absorbed BAAC into their ranks. BAAC were then given security of tenure and gradually upskilled whilst working along side Met PCs. The same could be done with MDP, who are currently little more than gate guards.

And whilst we're talking about up-skilling, why not do the same for military provost. That way, when they leave the army, RN or that other bunch who's name escapes me, they can move seamlessly into civpol which would also include the new and significantly improved MDP, without being dicked about at training school or during an unnecessary probation of some 2 years.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm from Liverpool, I was doing the same!
Fvck me a Scouser as well as a Monkey! You have not really won the jackpot in the lottery of life, have you? ;)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

While the idea of placing MoD police under the Home Office does have some apparent benefits, the major issue as far as I can see is it would just become a target of the bean counters who would see it as an easy way to cut costs, after all there is a response vehicle just down the road, why keep a separate force. It would not be long before Modpol were no more IMHO.

I've witnessed the RMP/SIB at work and it was always (from my point of view) individuals that let them down.
Examples include being taken from an interview as a vicitim by two RMP SNCO's. I was otherwise alone, it wasn't recorded and I was only out of faceial surgery an a couple of hours earlier. Everything was a bit 'wobbly'
My statement wasn't going the way they wanted as the bloke who punched me was known to be a bit punchy and they wanted a conviction. During this unrecorded 'chat' they threatened to lock me away for longer than him if they didn't hear what they wanted to hear. I suddenly had some memory problems and couldn't confirm what I'd previously told them. The lad was a cnut, but I wasn't going to lie put him away.

RMP Cpl drink riding (the gayest moped ever) and speeding on Op Chantress, then using a speed camera in Lobito port to tell people they were travelling 2mph too fast

A (lovely) female RMP in Cyprus (no I didn't, but it wasn't from lack of trying) signed off, she was fed up with the pre-patrol brief from the SNCO's being along the lines of 'They are all guilty, you just have to find out what. If you don't lift someone each shift you are not doing your job'.

During an interview where I was supposed to be the naughty person they did Bad cop/good cop. Only they got muddled up and at one point there were two good cops, then two bad cops, then two confused cops. They didn't even ask questions about what I had actually done*, thankfully they were asking about something I'd genuinely not been involved in

I got spammed to do the training for the auxillery RMP duties. The training by the RMP for us plastic pigs didn't improve our perception of the RMP.
Thankfully I didn't get to do the duty as I had been left with the unit list unattended and oddly my name was at the bottom (The RSM stopped using pencil written lists after that)

I do believe something needs to be done, but I have no idea what. the perception of what the RMP do, how they do it and why isn't good. Very few people trust them, some with good cause.