Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army 2020 Refine

1. Last time infantry battalions were for the chopping block, thousands marched through London.

2. I agree with most things you've wrote however a better balance is definitely needed across the army. The constant cutting of support arms to save the Combat Arms need to be reevaluated.

3. No one should be above the chopping blocks.
1. That may be so but it is another display of comradeship, whether misdirected or otherwise. Bean counters in the MoD almost always win over old soldiers, and when they don't it spells trouble for someone else as their financial cuts will succeed.

2. And yet you posted " Hopefully it leads to a few empires being knocked down such as the REME Bns." Once REME Bns are wiped off the Orbat do you seriously believe they will be re-absorbed into 1st Line? It would be goodbye to a very much needed asset. I don't see many contractors being willing to deploy at a similar level, with a similar trade footprint with current knowledge of the equipment and LAND systems, particularly as the current 2nd Line refuse to use the systems that all REME technical trades are mandated to use.

3. Tend to firmly agree, but that would imply our VSOs know what they want and have a cunning plan how to achieve it within the financial constraints whilst ensuring we are still punching well above our weight and I have no faith that they do.

Last time infantry battalions were for the chopping block, thousands marched through London.

I agree with most things you've wrote however a better balance is definitely needed across the army. The constant cutting of support arms to save the Combat Arms need to be reevaluated.

No one should be above the chopping blocks.
Infantry are the obvious future incumbents for the chopping block.

NemoIII

War Hero
And yet you posted " Hopefully it leads to a few empires being knocked down such as the REME Bns." Once REME Bns are wiped off the Orbat do you seriously believe they will be re-absorbed into 1st Line? It would be goodbye to a very much needed asset. I don't see many contractors being willing to deploy at a similar level, with a similar trade footprint with current knowledge of the equipment and LAND systems, particularly as the current 2nd Line refuse to use the systems that all REME technical trades are mandated to use.

Couldn't Agree more with most of that, especially about cutting the Bns. I was more suggesting moving the Companies back into something that is more involved with the 1st Line.

Itll be interesting to see how 1bn REME, and 2Bn REME work out once they move in with the RLC to support the new Strike Brigades. I assume it'll be along the lines of 13RLC?

I just can't imagine the REME being so keen to loose Bns, as it is a stepping stone for officers through the Ranks.

I heard an interesting comment the other day. My interpretation of it is that we should develop our doctrine around our capabilities ie AJAX will do what it does and we need to work with it as opposed to try and make it do what we thought we wanted.
We are were we are in other words

Code for it isn’t fit for what we want

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard an interesting comment the other day. My interpretation of it is that we should develop our doctrine around our capabilities ie AJAX will do what it does and we need to work with it as opposed to try and make it do what we thought we wanted.

I'm not sure whether to laugh, or cry, or both.

Or maybe just to leap onto the table and launch into the "Told You So!" dance.

I'm not sure whether to laugh, or cry, or both.

Or maybe just to leap onto the table and launch into the "Told You So!" dance.
I stand by Strike is a sound concept but it will not be possible with tracked vehicles, not enough ATGWs, no 30-40mm cannon, no 155mm wheeled SP arty and not enough MLRS in the mix.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
I stand by Strike is a sound concept but it will not be possible with tracked vehicles, not enough ATGWs, no 30-40mm cannon, no 155mm wheeled SP arty and not enough MLRS in the mix.

Ah, the gap between concept (in PowerPoint) and reality (in metal, mud, blood and sweat). Massive deja vu. Again

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
Here's the link for what CDS's Integrated Operating Concept is about...

As far as I can see CDS wants to take over FCO and HO. I think that it is more him (supported by SoS) parking his (few) tanks on Whitehall's lawns pointing out that defence costs money - references to Active Edge levels of readiness, forward deployed troops and logistics and the need to be able to switch rapidly to full on war-fighting.

Plus the usual stuff about deep strike, information highway, digitization blah blah blah

And some utter bollocks about swarms of drones (not what Turkey used against Syrians), cyber etc. etc.

Latest Threads