1. That may be so but it is another display of comradeship, whether misdirected or otherwise. Bean counters in the MoD almost always win over old soldiers, and when they don't it spells trouble for someone else as their financial cuts will succeed.1. Last time infantry battalions were for the chopping block, thousands marched through London.
2. I agree with most things you've wrote however a better balance is definitely needed across the army. The constant cutting of support arms to save the Combat Arms need to be reevaluated.
3. No one should be above the chopping blocks.
2. And yet you posted " Hopefully it leads to a few empires being knocked down such as the REME Bns." Once REME Bns are wiped off the Orbat do you seriously believe they will be re-absorbed into 1st Line? It would be goodbye to a very much needed asset. I don't see many contractors being willing to deploy at a similar level, with a similar trade footprint with current knowledge of the equipment and LAND systems, particularly as the current 2nd Line refuse to use the systems that all REME technical trades are mandated to use.
3. Tend to firmly agree, but that would imply our VSOs know what they want and have a cunning plan how to achieve it within the financial constraints whilst ensuring we are still punching well above our weight and I have no faith that they do.