Army 2020 changes to the Corps...

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Parky_boy, Jul 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Army 2020 announcement confirms Army to be reduced by 23 units

The Army is to be reduced by 23 Regular units since the Strategic Defence and Security Review as part of Army 2020. The changes are due to be implemented by 2015, with the overall mandate to reach the capacity of 82,000 for the Regular Army and 30,000 for the Reserves by 2018.

The announcement came today in the House of Commons by Secretary of State for Defence the Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP after months of work by the Army to create a modern force for the challenges of 2020 and beyond.

The changes to the Order of Battle (ORBAT) will include:

Corps of the Royal Engineer

• 24 Commando Engineer Regiment will be removed from the ORBAT not before April 2013.
    • 25 Engineer Regiment and 28 Engineer Regiment will be removed from the ORBAT not before October 2015.
    • 38 Engineer Regiment will be removed from the ORBAT.
    • 67 Works Group will also be removed from the ORBAT not before April 2015.

2. It's the biggest cut to a single cap badge in the Army.

3. You've still got 33, so plenty of big timing opportunities remain.

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

With respect Dingerr, is that comment appropriate in the context of the post?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Is now wondering if choosing to join the royal engineers was the right choice?

6. Actually yes, as you'll find that EOD is not losing any personnel and is increasing in some areas.

7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

To put this in context:

38 Regt was lost before Army 2020 when 19 Lt Bde disbanded.

RHQ 25 Regt was also lost before Army 2020 but the squadrons moved into 39 Regt.

24 is lost as a Regimental number, but the commando engineer capability remains intact.

and just to reassure Dinger, both 33 and 101 Regts survive (with 11 Regt in 29 EOD and Search Group, 8 Force Engineer Brigade).

8. So what exactly is happening to 24cdo now then? Is it going back to squadron strength as 59cdo?

9. Sad that 2 of my old Regt's have bitten the dust, I suppose that's the price of progress :-(

10. When did 24 Regt come about? I was only aware of 59 being a CDO unit.

11. Just before Herrick 9 so 2008 I think.

12. Thanks for that.

13. 1 Apr 2008, so not to long lived

14. The RLC are taking a bigger cut, reducing from 18 to 11 units.

15. 24 is disbanded less 59, which goes back to an indep sqn.

The announcement was only regimental level, sub unit disbandment have yet to been announced. Looking likely a sqn from 39 will go.