Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

You mean, it's less than 4 divisions? Surely, the Reserve Army makes up the numbers?

If you mean Guards, Queen's, King's and Scottish, Welsh & Irish Divisions then yes, but in terms of combat power, the UK can't field 4 brigades, let alone divisions. As far back as GW1, the UK force put into the field by scraping capable units together was a single division-sized formation, and that was only because the third brigade was loggies rather than teeth arms.

Last edited:

HCL

Old-Salt
I think the reductions, if true, are a precursor to the UK's future commitments to the rest of Europe, in short we're probably going to dump them as besties.

I think the reductions, if true, are a precursor to the UK's future commitments to the rest of Europe, in short we're probably going to dump them as besties.

In which case, a lot more u-turns to be performed.

'By putting ‘NATO at the heart of UK defence’ we are able to achieve maximum coherence and interoperability with, and between, our closest allies and partners.'

“NATO is at the heart of our defense strategy,” Stuart Andrew said while at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C. Tuesday. Noting London already is well above the 2-percent threshold on security spending, he added, “I can’t see any of that changing,” even as the government tightens its belt in other areas to prepare for Brexit.'

HCL

Old-Salt
In which case, a lot more u-turns to be performed.

'By putting ‘NATO at the heart of UK defence’ we are able to achieve maximum coherence and interoperability with, and between, our closest allies and partners.'

“NATO is at the heart of our defense strategy,” Stuart Andrew said while at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C. Tuesday. Noting London already is well above the 2-percent threshold on security spending, he added, “I can’t see any of that changing,” even as the government tightens its belt in other areas to prepare for Brexit.'

The EU, especially France and Germany, haven't exactly shown their gratitude to nir any loyalty for the efforts the UK has made to keeping Europe hale and hearty since before even the EEC existed. Seems Western Europe expects us to just keep on supplying our forces and intel in exchange for being disrespected.
Brexit and the subsequent events to date have changed the British political landscape, we're turning our backs to Europe, Macron and Merkel have guaranteed that.

Charles1948

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you mean Guards, Queen's, King's and Scottish, Welsh & Irish Divisions then yes, but in terms of combat power, the UK can't field 4 brigades, let alone divisions. As far back as GW1, the UK force put into the field by scraping capable units together was a single division-sized formation, and that was only because the third brigade was loggies rather than teeth arms.
Thanks Skip, I didn't know it was as bad as that. Rather naively, I'd thought "If the Army has (say) 80,000 men, then reckoning 20,000 to a Division, that's 4 Divisions".

That's civilian ignorance of course. As I now realise after your post. But the Ministry of Defence is controlled by Politicians, ie civilians. Which is disquieting, as they may be as ignorant as me.

Thanks Skip, I didn't know it was as bad as that. Rather naively, I'd thought "If the Army has (say) 80,000 men, then reckoning 20,000 to a Division, that's 4 Divisions".

That's civilian ignorance of course. As I now realise after your post. But the Ministry of Defence is controlled by Politicians, ie civilians. Which is disquieting, as they may be as ignorant as me.
They're not ignorant; more duplicitous and manipulative.