Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

potter

Old-Salt
It's the "autonomous" and "swarming" aspect that turn out to be really hard outside of carefully-scripted test cases - and which distract from the more mundane realities of the threat.

Indeed. My semi-stock* answer of "Physics says no" when some of the more fanciful size / range / endurance / payload / on-board processing capability / comms combinations are brought up by VSOs have led to some tetchy conversations.

* - I admit I use it too much. But when I hear someone suggest that we should have electric vehicles and recharge them using solar panels *AT NIGHT*, I feel justified in a long tail of pre-emptive use of the phrase.

I'm moderately familiar with that event. It wasn't done by a "drone swarm", it was just a salvo attack by a combination of armed UAS and cruise missiles.

That being part of the problem - excitable people leaping up and down in a game of buzzword bingo with little actual understanding of what things like "drone swarm" actually mean.

Now, if it makes you feel better, we can establish a network-enabled environment to facilitate the operation of our reconnaisance-strike complex, which enables swarming RPAS to FIND, FIX and STRIKE high-value enemy targets. This will dislocate our opponent in both the physical and cognitive domain by bringing a full range of cognitive and kinetic effects to bear and weakening their grasp of the Levers of Power, as they are enclosed in a "Ring of Fire" across all the dimensions of the joint and combined battlespaces while we leverage our synergies via a full suite of capabilities to successfully achieve our MEANS via low-risk ENDS.

But it's rather harder to build effective, working systems than it is to generate turgid PowerPoint.
It was a toss-up between like and funny. Funny won marginally.

Bob65

War Hero
One cannot deny that cyber-warfare is a real and growing domain which the UK needs to master. However the physical aspect of warfare is not going to magically disappear and adequate capability must be retained in this domain. It’s not a question of either/or. Those who argue that way are extremely blinkered.

Indeed. Cyber, AI and the rest are force multipliers, but you have to start with something to multiply.

Indeed. My semi-stock* answer of "Physics says no" when some of the more fanciful size / range / endurance / payload / on-board processing capability / comms combinations are brought up by VSOs have led to some tetchy conversations.

* - I admit I use it too much. But when I hear someone suggest that we should have electric vehicles and recharge them using solar panels *AT NIGHT*, I feel justified in a long tail of pre-emptive use of the phrase.

Before we get too excited about cyber and drones and stuff, we would do well to look at exactly what skillsets we need grow a generation of Grey Zone warriors. I am far from convinced that the G3 Gods have got this sewn up.

Thank your lucky stars someone hasn't suggested a portable reactor to you. They can be quite small and powerful apparently.
Makes you wonder which one of you is on drugs.

Chimp

ADC
The words of older generations speaking about their successors since time immemorial
Lets face it it is our generation that has f***ed everything up. We are a pretty poor shower, almost as bad as the generation before us who wallowed through the '60s. I have real faith in the next generation.

Interesting on-topic contribution from an essay on “Unherd”: 'Global Britain' is in for a rude awakening - UnHerd
I would say that this is a fairly good analysis.
A sensible summary, except that my reading of " Global Britain" is a Britain open to global trade, not one looking to fight for a new empire.
The alleged threat from Russia is of more concern to the Balts and mainland Europe, let them deal with it.
The alleged threat from China, in the Pacific, is a problem for its immediate neighnours, including the US.
Both threats can be greatly reduced by openly trading with both Russia and China, both of whom would prefer trade to conflict.
The middle east and Africa can be left to self destruct, then deal with the eventual top dogs in a decade or so's time.
More pressing, but never mentioned in public, is the threat from "minorities" within UK, anything from independence seeking Scots to homegrown jihadis, unintegratable migrants, assorted loafers and benefit scroungers, slave labour factories, people smuggling, etc ad nauseam.
Most of which could be dealt with by beefed up police/ customs/ immigration staff, rather than by more expensive troops.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Before we get too excited about cyber and drones and stuff, we would do well to look at exactly what skillsets we need grow a generation of Grey Zone warriors. I am far from convinced that the G3 Gods have got this sewn up.

Sorted.

Big red button? Check.

Clear labelling? Done.

Suitable for operation by PWO's Hand of Command? No problem...
1594658151100.png

A sensible summary, except that my reading of " Global Britain" is a Britain open to global trade, not one looking to fight for a new empire.
The alleged threat from Russia is of more concern to the Balts and mainland Europe, let them deal with it.
The alleged threat from China, in the Pacific, is a problem for its immediate neighnours, including the US.
Both threats can be greatly reduced by openly trading with both Russia and China, both of whom would prefer trade to conflict.
The middle east and Africa can be left to self destruct, then deal with the eventual top dogs in a decade or so's time.
More pressing, but never mentioned in public, is the threat from "minorities" within UK, anything from independence seeking Scots to homegrown jihadis, unintegratable migrants, assorted loafers and benefit scroungers, slave labour factories, people smuggling, etc ad nauseam.
Most of which could be dealt with by beefed up police/ customs/ immigration staff, rather than by more expensive troops.
2.5k have crossed the Channel to arrive UK since 1 January, almost 200 yesterday. THe Boxheads could have only dreamed of these numbers in two war's! The only defence we seem to have in mother nature the sea state!

I've had the misfortune to represent two of them in attendance management meetings as their union rep. Both of them spent more time off sick with stress than they did in work. I had a degree of sympathy for one of them, the other none at all.
The way it is though - I've mentioned our apprentices way back when I did aero engine / component inspection. All three failed drugs tests, mandatory and random for FAA stuff. Sent away, counselled and tested again a few months later. Fail...

This is in a place with high unemployment and loads of shit jobs.

Last edited:
The way it is though - I've mentioned our apprentices way back when I did aero engine / component inspection. All three failed drugs tests, mandatory and random for FAA stuff. Sent away, counselled and tested again a few months later. Fail...

This is in a place with high unemployment and lots of shit jobs.

The Millenials are setting themselves up as a generation of failures. The concept of a bit of hard graft seems to elude them.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
The Millenials are setting themselves up as a generation of failures. The concept of a bit of hard graft seems to elude them.

I work with a few good examples - bright, hard working, learn fast.

But, we're a smallish, high-value business that's usually very fussy about who they hire. (Apart from the day I sneaked in, of course...)

The largest problem isn't the G3 operators; it's the mindset of the G6 technicians who think that cyber is only about the network.

They didn't get there all by themselves.

Ever read any COIN doctrine?
I have and its quite clear that you need an enormous number of soldiers to dominate the ground(Force density) and any strategy built around the numbers we deploy, with the ROEs of an armed social worker is NOT counter insurgency. We seem to do a lot of force protection and a few wells dug for the locals and very little strategic effort.

If memory serves, the cross border operation in both Borneo and Vietnam(the paris accords insisted an end to US special forces) were demonstrations of how you really fight a counter insurgency i.e. cut off the supply and the insurgent movement will fall apart.

Yeah, why should the UK worry about troublesome alliances like NATO which states that Russia and China are security issues. Let's walk away from our treaty commitments to Europe and the USA; but as we're such wonderful people, should we ever get into trouble about anything in the future, I'm sure the Europeans and North Americans will rush to our aid.

I work with a few good examples - bright, hard working, learn fast.

But, we're a smallish, high-value business that's usually very fussy about who they hire. (Apart from the day I sneaked in, of course...)

I work in the CS and the recruitment system is, quite simply, not fit for purpose. They employed me for a start... :-D

Latest Threads