Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

You clearly have more faith in the Millennial workforce than I do...
The words of older generations speaking about their successors since time immemorial

The words of older generations speaking about their successors since time immemorial

I've had the misfortune to represent two of them in attendance management meetings as their union rep. Both of them spent more time off sick with stress than they did in work. I had a degree of sympathy for one of them, the other none at all.

Back to the Army then.

The thing is say you have £1 to spend but you want to buy a pie from the bakers - but you also want a pint of milk, what do you buy if they both cost a pound? You need to make a choice so you buy what one is more important.

Now scale that up - you have only have xxx million pounds to spend - do you fund a parachute regiment, or do you invest in some cyber/drones? What the biggest threat and where's it coming from? At the current time it's cyber - so it's wiser to spend the money you have on cyber defenses rather than on some regiment that will mostly be sitting in a barracks for 95% of their time.

In an ideal world we would have unlimited funds to do everything - however in the real world, we can only tax people so much - and borrow so much, so we need to spend within our means.

Sad to say, but the establishment would rather sacrifice the Parachute Regiment entirely than amalgamate the Guards.
They maybe thought that the parachute reg would only be needed in an all out war to drop on foreign soil, and as the Government are not planning to go to war just now - they maybe thought keeping other regiments would be OK for manning the bins if the council go on strike, or putting out heath fires etc.
The thing is - if we ever need to go back into a full proper war, a few hundred para's aren't going to make that much difference, not now we have nukes and drones that can wipe out entire battalions fairly easily. Also cyber is the main threat to the economy and telecoms etc....you can take out a power station with a laptop. Look at Iran just now - some of their centrifuges have been wiped out recently: (about 3 in the last few weeks)

That's why cyber is more important just now.

It hits you most at times like this, when you find your customs service needs massive investment in order to be able to do its job, your roads don't get fixed and so on.
30% of council tax just goes to paying pensions...

The thing is say you have £1 to spend but you want to buy a pie from the bakers - but you also want a pint of milk, what do you buy if they both cost a pound? You need to make a choice so you buy what one is more important.

Now scale that up - you have only have xxx million pounds to spend - do you fund a parachute regiment, or do you invest in some cyber/drones? What the biggest threat and where's it coming from? At the current time it's cyber - so it's wiser to spend the money you have on cyber defenses rather than on some regiment that will mostly be sitting in a barracks for 95% of their time.

In an ideal world we would have unlimited funds to do everything - however in the real world, we can only tax people so much - and borrow so much, so we need to spend within our means.

But if you are going to be an "expeditionary" force then you will need to invest more heavily into the RM and the Airborne because they are the ones who will be used to seize a beachhead or an airhead for the follow on forces.

I bet the XVIII Airborne corps commander is not going to be a fan of Cummings.

But if you are going to be an "expeditionary" force then you will need to invest more heavily into the RM and the Airborne because they are the ones who will be used to seize a beachhead or an airhead for the follow on forces.

I bet the XVIII Airborne corps commander is not going to be a fan of Cummings.
I'm pretty sure the Government have zero plans on invading any countries any time soon - we're skint.

We've got no money left after covid and paying furlough for people + all the money that needs to be spent on upgrading the infrastructure. We don't have unlimited funds so we need to spend wisely.

What is the biggest threat to us? Cyber or being invaded?

Which drones "that can wipe out entire battalions" would those be?
Ones that can carry missiles and cluster mines. They can even be modded to be fitted with biological or chemical weapons.
Also they can be used in drone swarms - you can release many mini drones at the same time - all fitted with explosives, and take out a large area in one go.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Ones that can carry missiles and cluster mines. They can even be modded to be fitted with biological or chemical weapons.
Also they can be used in drone swarms - you can release many mini drones at the same time - all fitted with explosives, and take out a large area in one go.

It's rather less straightforward than that. There are industrial quantities of snake-oil being marketed around the "drone" and "counter-drone" arena - while there are some significant capabilities, we're quite a long way from "lethal drone swarms" being practical.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Which drones "that can wipe out entire battalions" would those be?

There's a really good unmanned vehicle that's launched from submarines and can wipe out entire countries. It's called "Trident"...

I'm pretty sure the Government have zero plans on invading any countries any time soon - we're skint.

We've got no money left after covid and paying furlough for people + all the money that needs to be spent on upgrading the infrastructure. We don't have unlimited funds so we need to spend wisely.

What is the biggest threat to us? Cyber or being invaded?

NATO still has a very real Russian Problem. Of which you are still a member with commitments.

You have overseas possessions that are you are still obligated to defend, and the Airborne can get to places in a hurry when time matters. You know like the 82nd earlier in the year, and the alert brigade being rushed to Iraq.

Why not just cut the under-strength light role infantry battalions instead of the prestige units that are going to have a priority when it comes to manning and funding??

Personally I would just cut the social services, but I come from a place that is used to making those sorts of tough choices when it comes down to it.

Again, you said "not now we have nukes and drones that can wipe out entire battalions fairly easily" - which missile and cluster-mine carrying drones do we have? How many, with what payload?

Back to the Army then.

Realistically, as pre WW2, how long does it take to retrain light infantry to be able to parachute?
The riggers, heavy drop, air despatch trades could easily merge with the RAF, if you want to keep the ability, but does an army of 50k really need, or can afford, to tie up a couple of battalions as paras?

NATO still has a very real Russian Problem. Of which you are still a member with commitments.

You have overseas possessions that are you are still obligated to defend, and the Airborne can get to places in a hurry when time matters. You know like the 82nd earlier in the year, and the alert brigade being rushed to Iraq.

Why not just cut the under-strength light role infantry battalions instead of the prestige units that are going to have a priority when it comes to manning and funding??

Personally I would just cut the social services, but I come from a place that is used to making those sorts of tough choices when it comes down to it.
I'm sure the MOD and some think tank somewhere have worked out the best things to do based on many facts - facts which we mere mortals are not privy to.

Realistically, as pre WW2, how long does it take to retrain light infantry to be able to parachute?
The riggers, heavy drop, air despatch trades could easily merge with the RAF, if you want to keep the ability, but does an army of 50k really need, or can afford, to tie up a couple of battalions as paras?
Exactly - I went parachuting one day, done a couple of hours training in the morning and jumped out of a plane in the afternoon.

There's infantry that can be trained up in the event they need to jump out of a plane at some point. It's not rocket science. People did it in WW2 and have been doing it ever since - and there's lots of advancements in that field since then.