Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Tesco staff had all their canteens removed. If you're lucky, you'll get one microwave per store to heat up food, for an average of ten people in the canteen at the any one time . Air conditioning is faulty and blowing out cold air in the middle of winter? Sorry, it will take at least a couple of days to get an engineer in to fix it. Carrying your wallet and phone with you because management hasn't replaced the lockers that were broken into months ago? That's against the rules. Formal written warning.

Need PPE because you're lucky enough to be a, "key worker" and the customers are too retarded to follow the Two Metre Rule? Buy your own. Delivering to a block of flats and you have to lug heavy trays up six flights of stairs because the lift is broken and the customer refuses to help? That's just, "good for your development"

So yeah, cry me a fcuking river about civil servant's T&C's. :rolleyes:
You and PhotEx are much of a muchness in this respect. I was dissatisfied with the number of people excelling at being idiots in the RAF, I got out and moved on. And so on.

Chimp

ADC
Ex-servicemen even those who only served months, are a nostalgic bunch and the part-timers will have a certain % of regulars washing through over short periods, until the nostalgia is slated and people finally decide to put it behind them. I myself did 9 years in the RSigs and then spent some time in the TA Light Infantry in the late 90s, on the self same emotion, but it faded quite quickly.
I think you will find that a huge number immediately become part of the Regular Reserve and don't even realise this. All governments have swayed away from calling up the RR. It was done during National Service on a few occasions - I think Malaya was one of them which did not go down well with ex-Regulars - when National Servicemen weren't up to the job.

I think you will find that a huge number immediately become part of the Regular Reserve and don't even realise this. All governments have swayed away from calling up the RR. It was done during National Service on a few occasions - I think Malaya was one of them which did not go down well with ex-Regulars - when National Servicemen weren't up to the job.
Outcomes denote reality:-
In 1990; we had 155k soldiers and a quarter million Reserves of which 70k were active part timers.
In 1996; when I left, we had 116k soldiers and quarter million Reserves, of which 60k were active part timers.
Today; we have 80k soldiers and 65k Reserves, of which 27k part timers.
If you reduce the army to 60k soldiers, then after ten years the Reserve will drop to below 50k, of which the AR will likely drop to 20-25k.

If you try and make the RR more like the AR, then joining the regulars becomes even less attractive and importantly, more of the active soldiers becoming dedicated to retraining the RR and gives us even less deployable units.

Chimp

ADC
Outcomes denote reality:-
In 1990; we had 155k soldiers and a quarter million Reserves of which 70k were active part timers.
In 1996; when I left, we had 116k soldiers and quarter million Reserves, of which 60k were active part timers.
Today; we have 80k soldiers and 65k Reserves, of which 27k part timers.
If you reduce the army to 60k soldiers, then after ten years the Reserve will drop to below 50k, of which the AR will likely drop to 20-25k.

If you try and make the RR more like the AR, then joining the regulars becomes even less attractive and importantly, more of the active soldiers becoming dedicated to retraining the RR and gives us even less deployable units.
I couldn't agree more. While numbers aren't the whole story they are an excellent way of demonstrating will. Post Brexit our hold in Gibraltar, The Falklands, SBAs in Cyprus and other territories are likely to be undermined and potentially attacked if we concomitantly reduce numbers (will) in these locations. I wonder if Cummings has considered this?.

We already have a mass of undeployable units - cutting Land overall numbers (concentrating cuts on light (role) infantry) but creating additional brigade units - could see an increase in deployable units despite a smaller army

Last edited:
<Sighs> You heard someone say critical thinking didn't you? Read that back to yourself and then tell me if your outright statement had considered all possibilities? Thanks for playing @Lightning Experience
The "dumb" will your critical thinking coming to the fore then Lightning?

No Reservists were recalled for the Malayan Emergency. The biggest recall was in 1950 when the Korean war broke out and a number of regular reservists from the Z Reserve were called up to replace National Servicemen under 19. They were all WW2 veterans and many were not happy about it.

A few Regular Reservists were recalled for Suez in 1956.

When National Servicemen finished their two years service with the regular army they had to complete 5 years in the TA with a number of compulsary weekends and a two week camp. A lot of the old TA were not happy about this as the TA had always been voluntary and this was a large part of its ethos, and they didn't like havening disgruntled moaning Nashos in their ranks.

We already have a mass of undeployable units - cutting Land overall numbers (concentrating cuts on light (role) infantry) but creating additional brigade units - could see an increase in deployable units despite a smaller army

The AR is no longer structured, organised, or trained to deploy as Units. There is a large infrastructure, and large number of non deployable Offs/NCOs, to supposedly train a dwindling supply of deployable ORs.

It makes no sense to have a smaller Regular Force and larger AR. The deployable part of the AR does not increase the overall combat capability, it is more a source of BCRs.

The AR is no longer structured, organised, or trained to deploy as Units. There is a large infrastructure, and large number of non deployable Offs/NCOs, to supposedly train a dwindling supply of deployable ORs.

It makes no sense to have a smaller Regular Force and larger AR. The deployable part of the AR does not increase the overall combat capability, it is more a source of BCRs.

The post you quoted referred only to the regulars
But in case it was worded badly - I meant for example If you cut 10 battalions of light infantry - but added an artillery logs and engineer regiment - you could add a brigade bit reduce the armies size

As regards reserves - it may be better to return to the previous formed units - particularly in the face of further cuts perhaps acknowledging it lacks mass to actually fight a war and making it a quick reaction and intervention force and handing heavy armour hand warfighting to the reserves

You say that National Servicemen 'weren't up to the job', what evidence do you have and were these the same (type of) National Servicemen who weren't up to the job of fighting Korea and, indeed, WW2?

diehard57

War Hero
You say that National Servicemen 'weren't up to the job', what evidence do you have and were these the same (type of) National Servicemen who weren't up to the job of fighting Korea and, indeed, WW2?
Not to mention Palestine where my old man served for 2 years fighting the Urgun and the Stern Gang and also EOKA in Cyprus and the Mau-Mau in Kenya.

Ex-servicemen even those who only served months, are a nostalgic bunch and the part-timers will have a certain % of regulars washing through over short periods, until the nostalgia is slated and people finally decide to put it behind them. I myself did 9 years in the RSigs and then spent some time in the TA Light Infantry in the late 90s, on the self same emotion, but it faded quite quickly.
We have had a few very good, motivated juniors join over the last three or four years. All joined because they missed soldiering but not the attendant bullshit, and most have stayed with it and become real assets.

Not to mention Palestine where my old man served for 2 years fighting the Urgun and the Stern Gang and also EOKA in Cyprus and the Mau-Mau in Kenya.
The South Africans would like to flag up Cuito Cuanavale aka the Battle on the Lomba, where youngsters doing NS in the 80s, operating in a spread out Battle group using Ratels with 90mm Main Armament to smack an Angolan Armoured Bde

Last edited:
We have had a few very good, motivated juniors join over the last three or four years. All joined because they missed soldiering but not the attendant bullshit, and most have stayed with it and become real assets.
Its like when a lot of TA lads used to do do attachements to the Regular army or S Types as they were then. What they were taken aback by was the shear level of f*ckwittery that regular soldiers have to put up with in their day to day life.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt

I do wonder occasionally just how many have left the Army over the years simply because they couldn't stomach anymore of the Army's Bullshit rather than the physical and mental demands of Soldiering.

I do wonder occasionally just how many have left the Army over the years simply because they couldn't stomach anymore of the Army's Bullshit rather than the physical and mental demands of Soldiering.

An interesting conundrum.

1995 - 2001 ( ish ) Had enough of the Bullshit was a very familiar cry coming from those that wanted out.

However. Sit them down with a brew and ask them what Bullshit they have had enough of, surprisingly, not many could actually tell you.

Resorting to '' If you cant tell me the problem, then I have no chance of trying to rectify it '' also had very little effect.

I quickly came to the conclusion that in the majority of cases, anything that dragged them away from the TV / Xbox / Playstation was Bullshit as far as they were concerned.

You certainly had to treat STABs differently. A few weekends painting brick patterns on hessian or patching cam nets could quickly demotivate people. With a regular you could bank on the PVR process taking a while and giving time for them to get over it. With the TA they simply wouldn’t show up next drill night.

Clever NRPS* solved this problem by saving those jobs for the otherwise unemployed who appreciated the extra money.

Those who left new recruits standing in a corridor waiting 2 hours to get their new uniform issued wondered why they couldn’t get their recruiting stats up.

* old terminology I know...

Cromarty

Old-Salt
An interesting conundrum.

1995 - 2001 ( ish ) Had enough of the Bullshit was a very familiar cry coming from those that wanted out.

However. Sit them down with a brew and ask them what Bullshit they have had enough of, surprisingly, not many could actually tell you.

Resorting to '' If you cant tell me the problem, then I have no chance of trying to rectify it '' also had very little effect.

I quickly came to the conclusion that in the majority of cases, anything that dragged them away from the TV / Xbox / Playstation was Bullshit as far as they were concerned.

About the same time in the land of Oz, the RAN were told repeatedly in exit surveys and other forums exactly why people in the 6 to 12 year service bracket were leaving. Nothing changed. Most of those who could survive outside the sheltered workshop left. These guys were the experienced AB's, LS and younger PO's who should have been the backbone of the service at sea and training establishments. A fair few officers of a similar time in had the same opinions. Some would have made excellent career ossifers.

Latest Threads