Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Not a dig, but how many Ex-Regulars actually go over to the reserves?

Maybe more at the SNCO level but alot of juniors are completely dissatisfied they don't even look at the AR. The loss of the £10k bonus for Ex-Regulars is also likely to affect it.

To be fair I enjoy the Army, but I don't think I would join the AR if I was to get out. The Cons seem to outweigh the benefits.
Ex-servicemen even those who only served months, are a nostalgic bunch and the part-timers will have a certain % of regulars washing through over short periods, until the nostalgia is slated and people finally decide to put it behind them. I myself did 9 years in the RSigs and then spent some time in the TA Light Infantry in the late 90s, on the self same emotion, but it faded quite quickly.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
you’re not the sharpest of tools ‘just leave Bob’.....if all the CS left, who’d run MOD?
Or don’t you believe any CS should have a reasonable expectation the TACOS they signed up for should endure more than a few months?

WAH!!! "Everything else should be cut except my lot." WAH!!!

Doesn't seem like you CS people are doing a very good job of running anything.

Great White Chiefs
My great white chiefs are telling me not to go into the office unless I really, really need to, they have offered to buy me more stuff if I need things to make working from home easier, and have given me a list of definitions of extra expenses that I can claim for if I incur them

I drive Tidders to Bulford most weekends
I knew it ! =-)

1594377338630.png

've never claimed to have built a Nightingale
This must have been someone else then:

It's a seriously impressive capability. I spent some time recently building a hospital with the E&LSC CO*, and his ability to reach into his contact book to get things done faster than defence could manage was eye-opening.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
The argument for a large, well-funded Army depends (as has been pointed out) on the post-WWII political and military pivot to Europe, when faced with imperial decline and the Soviet enemy. It's a position that no longer carries weight.

Vague arguments about the need for an army in case of general war are usually true but unconvincing, especially when the Army and RAF can point to their more frequently-employed and politically feasible capabilities.

Whither the Army?

The long post-war peace (punctuated by a long and very nearly hot "Cold War") is not atypical historically - cf. Complexity and prediction VI: a model predicts the frequency and severity of interstate wars, ‘a profound mystery for which we have no explanation’

A case should be made about the viability and the necessity of conventional warfare (and auxiliary/ancillary capabilities) in dealing with the new geopolitical disorder, both as deterrent and response to certain acts of aggression, or threat-posturing. There's no shortage of material from the last ten years - Russia/Ukraine; Iran/nuclear weapons; North Korea; China/Hong Kong/India. We have been fortunate so far, or the conflict has morphed into less obviously bloody forms - economic, "cyber", sponsored-terrorism, etc. The argument must be made that conventional capabilities obviate the risk of nuclear conflict (NB: All these recent scenarios involve real, or potentially real nuclear weapons states).

It's hard to escape the conclusion that those of dizzying rank have forgotten what war is for and how it can and should be used in the defence of national interests. It's bizarre that none of the situations in the last paragraph prompted much in the way of military response, but that tilting at windmills in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya did.

Is this being looked at from the wrong direction?

the British Army is this size but the planned structure is actually a Division plus in terms of actual All arms combat power (2x Armd Inf Bde, 2x Strike Bde, 1x Air Aslt Bde which are all under resourced). Plus of course the Force and Theatre enablers.

all that actual combat power is under resourced including with regard to infantry. Yes it can be task org’ed in as required.

that isn’t to say anything yet there aren’t other jobs to be done requiring additional forces. But the attitude appears to be maintain the status quo rather than what do we need to reorganise in order to provide what is really required. So you end up with questionable lots of light infantry and insufficient Armd/Strike/Air Aslt Infantry.

Can’t we get on to “our friends” in Hereford, feed them chocolate and tea and then get them to invade the IOW, they can wear black gear and respirators. Take over all the care homes and holiday parks. Then send out a ransom note, something like “Hey yews barstards, arhh, we is takin yours island coz yews is knobbers”.
Then to save time and effort trying to find a RN vessel that hasn’t broke down, requisite a couple of IOW ferries, send the Royal Marines, a half company of The Rifles and 4 Grenadier Guardsmen, the RAF can do a fly past in Boris’ jet and at the same time drop in to combat 6 members of 3 Para, this qualifying all 3 battalions Para pay for the next 10 years.
Surround the hooligans from Hereford, slip a note under the door of their HQ care home saying “Oy, give up, play times over!”
Then it’s all back to Catterick for tea and scones in the mess, really cut price operational tour, with very little travel, equipment or time, proving to Boris that we still need everyone!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This must have been someone else then:

Fair cop. It doesn't change the facts though; I didn't wire the place up or do the plumbing but I was involved in the building of a Nightingale hospital. I thought I hadn't been that specific on here and had restricted myself to generalities in the Nightingale thread, but clearly I was mistaken.

Still not really sure why that's self-aggrandizement given that it wasn't massively exciting, a decent amount of the army was involved in the Nightingale project and other RESCRIPT tasks, and most of the work was done by contractors and NHS. I'm guessing you missed out on a RESCRIPT deployment?

Last edited:
Fair cop. It doesn't change the facts though; I didn't wire the place up or do the plumbing but I was involved in the building of a Nightingale hospital. I thought I hadn't been that specific on here and had restricted myself to generalities in the Nightingale thread, but clearly I was mistaken.

Still not really sure why that's self-aggrandizement given that it wasn't massive exciting, a decent amount of the army was involved in the Nightingale project and other RESCRIPT tasks, and most of the work was done by contractors and NHS. I'm guessing you missed out on a RESCRIPT deployment?
:)
Being shielded that wasn't on the cards

Pretty good article on the Army and Nightingales here What the NHS is learning from the British army in the covid-19 crisis

You ARE aware CS pensions are not 'free'.?

And an 'average £28,600'? Thats the top end of the D Band.
At the time the article you cited was written, the average CS pay was £23,000.
As usual, Higher CS is included in the headline figure to make CS pay and pensions look stellar.

Of course they aren't free. A significant amount comes from the tax payer. And even allowing for any contributions from civil servants themselves, they are Mana from Heaven compared to their equivalent in the Private Sector. I've been contributing to my company's pension scheme for twenty years. Given how the government keeps pushing back the state pension age, I'll be able to afford retirement about five days after my own funeral.

Of course they aren't free. A significant amount comes from the tax payer. And even allowing for any contributions from civil servants themselves, they are Mana from Heaven compared to their equivalent in the Private Sector. I've been contributing to my company's pension scheme for twenty years. Given how the government keeps pushing back the state pension age, I'll be able to afford retirement about five days after my own funeral.

So there'll be a nice little windfall to pay the bar tab from the wake?

Like for like? Not a chance, CS pay is abysmal, the T&Cs which compensated for it have been trashed, retention in some areas is terrible, very high turnover. Nope, I've never been a CS but have worked alongside them lots.

Tesco staff had all their canteens removed. If you're lucky, you'll get one microwave per store to heat up food, for an average of ten people in the canteen at the any one time . Air conditioning is faulty and blowing out cold air in the middle of winter? Sorry, it will take at least a couple of days to get an engineer in to fix it. Carrying your wallet and phone with you because management hasn't replaced the lockers that were broken into months ago? That's against the rules. Formal written warning.

Need PPE because you're lucky enough to be a, "key worker" and the customers are too retarded to follow the Two Metre Rule? Buy your own. Delivering to a block of flats and you have to lug heavy trays up six flights of stairs because the lift is broken and the customer refuses to help? That's just, "good for your development"

So yeah, cry me a fcuking river about civil servant's T&C's. :rolleyes:

Tesco staff had all their canteens removed. If you're lucky, you'll get one microwave per store to heat up food, for an average of ten people in the canteen at the any one time . Air conditioning is faulty and blowing out cold air in the middle of winter? Sorry, it will take at least a couple of days to get an engineer in to fix it. Carrying your wallet and phone with you because management hasn't replaced the lockers that were broken into months ago? That's against the rules. Formal written warning.
sounds an awful lot like the CS to me (other than the wallet bit)

You should engage your critical thinking and try to consider all eventualities.
<Sighs> You heard someone say critical thinking didn't you? Read that back to yourself and then tell me if your outright statement had considered all possibilities? Thanks for playing @Lightning Experience

Latest Threads