Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Motes and beams come to mind....if only
History is full of eager neophytes entering government (and other institutions) with the intention of 'shaking it all up'. Sadly it is also full of the same number being assimilated into the Borg - which, oddly given his fascination with AI and drones, is something that Cummings should rather like.

The last one of my personal experience was Tony Douglas who arrived with such fanfare at DE&S, and left a year or two later for a job where he could actually achieve something. Having said all that, there is much that is good about Defence and it is unfortunate that it is often lost in a welter of uninformed and ignorant bias.

Ah, apologies. I did check back about three or four pages before posting, mindful that it would likely be pointed out if I missed an earlier post...clearly I didn't check well enough :)
Dunno if you read his blog post, don't get too hung up on the drones bit, he's talking mainly about the threat from drones and the possibilities from AI. His blogs are always a mix of interesting points mixed with verbose rambling and wild eyed fantasy. He's fun and dangerous, having never had this much power before.

Don't forget that he retrospectively edited his blog in respect of covid

I'd say his trip is a recruiting exercise for his projects agency more than anything though.

In the name of God, let us have some threads free from discussion of the 'B' word. Thank you.
I thought it an apt reminder that others have left it a little late due to underestimating him.

History is full of eager neophytes entering government (and other institutions) with the intention of 'shaking it all up'. Sadly it is also full of the same number being assimilated into the Borg - which, oddly given his fascination with AI and drones, is something that Cummings should rather like.

The last one of my personal experience was Tony Douglas who arrived with such fanfare at DE&S, and left a year or two later for a job where he could actually achieve something. Having said all that, there is much that is good about Defence and it is unfortunate that it is often lost in a welter of uninformed and ignorant bias.
I don't think government has had anyone so influential in it with such a deep hatred for the institutions of state and a willingness to more than bend the rules. He really, really brims with contempt for MPs and he's driven. Destructive in nature and a fascination for people working outside the law, he'll happily break something and leave others to pick up the pieces.

Dunno if you read his blog post, don't get too hung up on the drones bit, he's talking mainly about the threat from drones and the possibilities from AI. His blogs are always a mix of interesting points mixed with verbose rambling and wild eyed fantasy. He's fun and dangerous, having never had this much power before.

Don't forget that he retrospectively edited his blog in respect of covid

I'd say his trip is a recruiting exercise for his projects agency more than anything though.
That's a fair point, and worth bearing in mind.
Based only on my life experience, it can get hard for even very intelligent people to keep a grip on their own self-estimation. The more so for someone like Cummings who may not be encountering much opposition, or even constructive feedback. Put another way, a very clever person in Cummings position might say 'I don't know much about x; how can I either learn, or get someone aboard who does?' (possibly a link into the agency you refer to).
I will look up his blog.
He's right about drones in a broad sense.

Apparently, we are ’saving money’ working from home.
Funny old thing, I heard exactly the same.
I’m minted

Despite still going out and driving (doing good deeds for the neighbourhood, friends & family) I struggled to almost get a 1/4 tank of fuel when prices dropped and am still above 1/2 a tank now.
Utility bills have gone up, and I’m eating shit microwave meals for lunch instead of cheap subsidised mess main meals / mess bar meals.
I’m making better use of the broadband I already pay for, if I use my own phone I could claim call charges back but I’ve unlimited data and calls anyway.
I have my work laptop and Skype so don’t need to use my phone
On a net basis without commuting, Costa coffees or dining out I’m filling the bank account and topping up the savings. I’ve upped my personal karma and smugness rating by online shopping with some businesses I know, and have bought some mystery packages for friends.

I don't think government has had anyone so influential in it with such a deep hatred for the institutions of state and a willingness to more than bend the rules. He really, really brims with contempt for MPs and he's driven. Destructive in nature and a fascination for people working outside the law, he'll happily break something and leave others to pick up the pieces.

Short version: he's an arrogant cünt.

You haven't shown me to be incorrect. You've just asserted something wrong* about how MOD does business, while two people who do have Whitehall experience and have taken part in this process have tried to explain the complexity that you've missed.

*In fairness, you're mostly right about how it should work in theory but that's just not how it happens in reality.
You know I have always doubted you are who you claim to be, now I am convinced.

Oh I nearly forgot, you didn't build a Nightingale Hospital either (nice bit of self self-aggrandisement on another thread)

Last edited:
I like the RCDS tie to show he’s a kindred spirit to Carter, even if he only did the short course. His ‘conversations’ with German and French RCDS members on his course were probably worth listening to for novelty value, if nothing else.
There are a number of tales which could be told about Mr Francois' time at RCDS. Which, as repeating them here would reveal the source, I shan't go into. They're not exactly flattering, let's put it that way.

Man? Ball?

I forgive you washed up old driver.
You weren't playing the ball though were you?

You conveniently forgot that. Remind me, which part of Whitehall were you directing?

Short version: he's an arrogant cünt.
He certainly is but nothing up with that if you can produce the goods. A history of being a good spinner for campaigns doesn't translate to being a planning genius outside of that small world, he might be good enough to transition though.

Latest Threads