Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

I like the RCDS tie to show he’s a kindred spirit to Carter, even if he only did the short course. His ‘conversations’ with German and French RCDS members on his course were probably worth listening to for novelty value, if nothing else.
The last time we held informal 'conversations' with the French, some tw@t committed the UK to sending a BEF of six infantry divisions and one cavalry division to help them out!!

Step forward Brigadier-General (at the time) Henry Wilson, for it was you!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Couple of nice pieces in The Guardian which tend to give last week's ST pieces more credence and put the wind up the top brass.
1) Dominic Cummings to tour sensitive MoD sites amid defence review - PM’s adviser will visit SAS and Porton Down, and has been to MI5 and MI6, leaked email says
and
2) Mark Francois being his usual debonair self in committee.

I've just read the Guardian article.

Cummings seems hung up on drones in the way that Sandys was about surface to air missiles, with disastrous results for the RAF and UK industry.

It's amazing the difference a week makes - before word of the possible shape of the defence review leaked, I was pretty keen on Cummings shaking things up in Whitehall. The more it seems he believes drones and IT can win wars by themselves, the less keen I am.

I'm well aware of how the funding works.

A limit is clearly direction.
Or is it a constraint? "Here's the dosh, spend it wisely as there is no more."

D

Deleted 72187

Cummings seems hung up on drones in the way that Sandys was about surface to air missiles, with disastrous results for the RAF and UK industry.

It's amazing the difference a week makes - before word of the possible shape of the defence review leaked, I was pretty keen on Cummings shaking things up in Whitehall. The more it seems he believes drones and IT can win wars by themselves, the less keen I am.
Don't forget AI

Israel hasn’t laid a direct finger on Iran, but lots of Iranian stuff keeps blowing up.

IT is as effective a weapon as a cruise missile through the window, and much cheaper.

If I can be wide-eyedly naive for a moment..

The US Army bases it's high intensity ops around the Armoured Brigade Combat Team

Approx 17000 all trades and ranks about 6000 Infantry/Cavalry The rest Dropshorts Engineers Signals and other support roles.
I think you've quoted Division liability rather than Brigade

Whether a matching division would be possible in an army of 50 - 60K i dont know- a simple fantasy orbat on a basic numbers count would suggest yes - but reality is never so accommodating

That US Division will have additional Corps and Army level support as well such as tank transporter regiments, 3rdline engineering, strategic communications - Likewise A British Division would also need to be supported by those as well and as in industry theres a minimum size overhead you need to function. The smaller the force / business / whatever the proportionally larger the liability.

So for example it could be you need 30000 men in unavoidable support / Admin / training roles - in an army of 50K yet only 35000 in an army of 150K

You worked in Whitehall, but you haven't got any idea how MOD planning works? Riiiiiiight...

No, but you'd have thought it would give you an entry-level understanding of how the MOD operates.
Probably considerably more expert than yourself, but you are just lashing out now as is usual when you are shown to be incorrect. Which is fairly frequently.

Last edited:
Or is it a constraint? "Here's the dosh, spend it wisely as there is no more."

A constraint is also direction.

Yes, But it does not make me an expert an absolutly everything, everywhere, since the beginning of time, unlike the attitude you project.

Now of you trot and take your infantile emoji button with you.
Goodness, you are excitable!

Where in Whitehall did you work?

You worked in Whitehall, but you haven't got any idea how MOD planning works? Riiiiiiight...

No, but you'd have thought it would give you an entry-level understanding of how the MOD operates.
Certainly didn’t teach him to spell.

Israel hasn’t laid a direct finger on Iran, but lots of Iranian stuff keeps blowing up.

IT is as effective a weapon as a cruise missile through the window, and much cheaper.
Until they grow a neuron and air-gap, VPN or private cable critical systems, then IT can do sod-all...

Has anyone used this tech against a peer enemy?
That aside, its weighing the gains against the losses. Is better tech worth x thousand fewer sailors, soldiers or airmen?

If Sunak can chuck billions at, for example, Theatre, why is the MoD a target for cuts? (that last one isn't directed at you - just generally wondering).

I think you've quoted Division liability rather than Brigade
As I say I got formation names and equipment scales and manning from here :

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/f...16/reports/51535-fsprimerbreakoutchapter2.pdf

You can tell it's a congessional briefing because of the pictures...... Putting the scales in a table would be to difficult for them...

So Teeth 200 or so Vehicles and the SP-guns, 4-6000 bodies 10-13000 plus in the support wedge with associated kit. As you say further A and B echelon support, extra to man and secure a port of entry then whatever is needed for Training, Admin, and whole Army support some of which might have to be a minimum size to exist at all

Has anyone used this tech against a peer enemy?
That aside, its weighing the gains against the losses. Is better tech worth x thousand fewer sailors, soldiers or airmen?

If Sunak can chuck billions at, for example, Theatre, why is the MoD a target for cuts? (that last one isn't directed at you - just generally wondering).
MOD is it’s own worst enemy.

it goes out to buy a dozen Ford Focus, spends Bentley money on them, then ends up with half the number of base model Fiestas 5 years late.

a very hard and enduring slap might encourage a culture change

Don't be so certain of that, particularly when you're looking at re-use.

there’s always a door in
There really isn't, not always. At that point you'll need to turn or human engineer an asset, or effect physical entry. If you do the last thing it might as well be rough men with 'taches and a plentiful scale of Plastique.. You gonna reboot something do it with style.

Latest Threads