Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Something North Korean about this. He's going to tour military bases giving on-the-spot guidance. And Francois is fat enough.

Donny

ADC
Couple of nice pieces in The Guardian which tend to give last week's ST pieces more credence and put the wind up the top brass.
1) Dominic Cummings to tour sensitive MoD sites amid defence review - PM’s adviser will visit SAS and Porton Down, and has been to MI5 and MI6, leaked email says
and
2) Mark Francois being his usual debonair self in committee.

I like the RCDS tie to show he’s a kindred spirit to Carter, even if he only did the short course. His ‘conversations’ with German and French RCDS members on his course were probably worth listening to for novelty value, if nothing else.

Budget Input, subsequent reporting and audit are oversight

Oh and BTW MoD does not fund most operations it comes from the Treasuries Special Reserve so they have every right to limit spending.
I'm well aware of how the funding works.

A limit is clearly direction.

This time you aren't even right in theory.

1. NSC does direct the MOD.
2. Treasury also directs the MOD. Standing treasury rules limit MOD freedom of action. That's direction. Even if you call it 'oversight', it sets hard limits that the MOD must confirm to.
3. The FCO doesn't strictly direct the MOD, but it does influence MOD policy via ministers. That is an ongoing process and means MOD plans have to flex continuously.
3. The MOD receives direction on an ad hoc basis from the PM, cabinet and ministers. It isn't a case of cabinet setting clear strategic direction and then MOD working out how to do it. The direction changes frequently, and the level of that direction spans the range of tactical/operational/strategic. Cameron, especially, liked to issue tactical direction to MOD at times.
Semantics

The Israelis have deployed planet wide on humanitarian missions, and as far as Uganda on military ones.
I'm sure they have - but I'll bet you that it isn't high on their list of priorities.

Yes Noted it was called armoured elsewhere although AI is probably more accurate
If I can be wide-eyedly naive for a moment..

The US Army bases it's high intensity ops around the Armoured Brigade Combat Team

Approx 17000 all trades and ranks about 6000 Infantry/Cavalry The rest Dropshorts Engineers Signals and other support roles.

About 90 tanks 100 IFV's 18 SP 155's. Plus logistics and support vehicles AVRE's bridging units etc...

Surely we could assemble and man 1 of those from the numbers of troops tanks. IFV's and other vehicles we've already got.

If we put up one of those ironed out any ammo, fuel compatibility issues and worked on sufficient commonality of doctrine so ours could take line next to one of theirs.. Then chucked in Rotary Wing and Air Transport to aid mobility.. The Yanks would be more than happy with us...

Am I missing something?

Seems like Orwell's "men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them." is all a bit unacceptably non-woke these days.
I couldn't help but notice that sorry, but I dare say laddish culture will matter one jot at the point of contact- wherever that may be.

Have you ever worked in Whitehall?
Yes, But it does not make me an expert an absolutly everything, everywhere, since the beginning of time, unlike the attitude you project.

Now of you trot and take your infantile emoji button with you.

If I can be wide-eyedly naive for a moment..

The US Army bases it's high intensity ops around the Armoured Brigade Combat Team

Approx 17000 all trades and ranks about 6000 Infantry/Cavalry The rest Dropshorts Engineers Signals and other support roles.

About 90 tanks 100 IFV's 18 SP 155's. Plus logistics and support vehicles AVRE's bridging units etc...

Surely we could assemble and man 1 of those from the numbers of troops tanks. IFV's and other vehicles we've already got.

If we put up one of those ironed out any ammo, fuel compatibility issues and worked on sufficient commonality of doctrine so ours could take line next to one of theirs.. Then chucked in Rotary Wing and Air Transport to aid mobility.. The Yanks would be more than happy with us...

Am I missing something?
An ABCT has a little over 4700 Soldiers assigned to it when fully manned.
Three combined arms battalions, a fires battalion, a cav squadron, the brigade support battalion, and a engineer battalion.

The numbers you put up are for a division.

Couple of nice pieces in The Guardian which tend to give last week's ST pieces more credence and put the wind up the top brass.
1) Dominic Cummings to tour sensitive MoD sites amid defence review - PM’s adviser will visit SAS and Porton Down, and has been to MI5 and MI6, leaked email says
and
2) Mark Francois being his usual debonair self in committee.

If there's a hole in a' your coats,
I rede you tent it:
A chield's amang you takin notes,
And, faith, he'll prent it:

Brigade Combat Team/Functional Support Brigade/Regiment/Group: A brigade is commanded by a colonel and is generally configured as either a brigade combat team (BCT) or a functional support brigade (FSB). A BCT has about 4,400 to 4,700 personnel, depending on whether it is an armored, Stryker, or infantry BCT. An FSB has about 3,000 to 5,000 personnel, depending on its type (of which there are 20). Cavalry brigades are called regiments; some types of support brigades are called groups. Marine Corps units at this level are also called regiments. (The term “Marine expeditionary brigade” refers to a task force, which is larger.)

Division: A division is commanded by a major general and includes two to five BCTs (usually four), an aviation brigade, an artillery brigade, an engineer brigade, and a logistics brigade. Divisions have about 12,000 to 16,000 personnel.

Figure 2-1 for the breakdown of the ABCT.

Latest Threads