Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Oh dear a Fifth Form response. I repeat the MoD and all other Ministries receive strategic direction from the Cabinet, the Ministry articulates how this will be delivered and with the support (strategic direction if you like) of the Cabinet delivers.

All ministries are subject to inputs, outputs and oversight from a multitude of sources, the Treasury does not 'Direct' the MoD neither does the NSC, the FCO, the Department of Health, the Defence and Public Accounts Committees or the National Audit Office. Those organisations can advise and influence and the MoD needs to manage their responses to those while staying aligned to the strategic aim set by Cabinet.

"Sorry Prime Minister we disbanded the RAF last year as some bloke in the Scottish Office told us we had to because they are rubbish Soz, should have told you some time."
My bold - so a Treasury derived manpower and resources cap for an operation is which of those? Input? Output? Oversight?

Why does that logically follow? Don't the Swiss and the Israelis have much larger reserves than their regular forces?

You can imagine a regular army of 50k with two missions, rapid response and force generation, including the training of a 150k or bigger reserve that would have all the heavy metal and be mobilised both in its entirety for existential threats and a subset at a time for sustained operations (if any). Supported by primary legislation to ensure employers were onside, both by carrot and stick. And maybe some sweeteners for the reservists too to sort out recruiting.

Not that I am advocating this necessarily, but it is feasible to do it.
For your two examples one is a neutral country and the other fights only wars of national survival on very short interior lines.

Neither deploy anywhere outside of their immediate borders or are members of any significant alliances.

Why does that logically follow? Don't the Swiss and the Israelis have much larger reserves than their regular forces?

You can imagine a regular army of 50k with two missions, rapid response and force generation, including the training of a 150k or bigger reserve that would have all the heavy metal and be mobilised both in its entirety for existential threats and a subset at a time for sustained operations (if any). Supported by primary legislation to ensure employers were onside, both by carrot and stick. And maybe some sweeteners for the reservists too to sort out recruiting.

Not that I am advocating this necessarily, but it is feasible to do it.
Switzerland(10 times) and Israel(4 times), between the reserve pool and active forces.
In my day, back in the mid 90s, we had an active force, with about 1.5 times the reserve.
Today, we have an armed force with only 0.5 the reserve, of the active forces.
So, if you reduce the army by another 20k, then the reserves will go down by an equal proportion.

I wondered if it was at Woolwich? Apparently, he visited 1 R ANGLIAN there...
He's a blustering fool:

“My father, Reginald Francois, was a D-Day veteran. He never submitted to bullying by any German, and neither will his son.”
Mark Gino François MP, Brexit supporter, January 2019

His Dad did marry an Italian girl though, hence 'Gino'....

My bold - so a Treasury derived manpower and resources cap for an operation is which of those? Input? Output? Oversight?
Budget Input, subsequent reporting and audit are oversight

Oh and BTW MoD does not fund most operations it comes from the Treasuries Special Reserve so they have every right to limit spending.

You do realise that cold, hard logic is intimately involved with reality? Your divorce from the latter argues against your claims on the former.
Its a mathematical certainity the reserves will fall over the next twenty years, in response to a fall in active soldiers and as ever you jump on a thing without reading the response, which was in relation to other peoples reality that national service cannot be brought back.

He's a blustering fool:

“My father, Reginald Francois, was a D-Day veteran. He never submitted to bullying by any German, and neither will his son.”
Mark Gino François MP, Brexit supporter, January 2019

His Dad did marry an Italian girl though, hence 'Gino'....
I'm not sure that his father's choice of spouse makes him a dick though...

I'm not sure that his father's choice of spouse makes him a dick though...
I agree - but it gave him a stupid middle name.

He does the rest all by himself.

Top tip: We are a Parliamentary Democracy. Whether a Minister has 'served' is of zero import to his job.
If you want only 'served' to run and direct the Armed Forces, its the wrong country grommit

Last edited:

Chimp

ADC
Couple of nice pieces in The Guardian which tend to give last week's ST pieces more credence and put the wind up the top brass.
1) Dominic Cummings to tour sensitive MoD sites amid defence review - PM’s adviser will visit SAS and Porton Down, and has been to MI5 and MI6, leaked email says
and
2) Mark Francois being his usual debonair self in committee.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All ministries are subject to inputs, outputs and oversight from a multitude of sources, the Treasury does not 'Direct' the MoD neither does the NSC, the FCO, the Department of Health, the Defence and Public Accounts Committees or the National Audit Office. Those organisations can advise and influence and the MoD needs to manage their responses to those while staying aligned to the strategic aim set by Cabinet.
This time you aren't even right in theory.

1. NSC does direct the MOD.
2. Treasury also directs the MOD. Standing treasury rules limit MOD freedom of action. That's direction. Even if you call it 'oversight', it sets hard limits that the MOD must confirm to.
3. The FCO doesn't strictly direct the MOD, but it does influence MOD policy via ministers. That is an ongoing process and means MOD plans have to flex continuously.
3. The MOD receives direction on an ad hoc basis from the PM, cabinet and ministers. It isn't a case of cabinet setting clear strategic direction and then MOD working out how to do it. The direction changes frequently, and the level of that direction spans the range of tactical/operational/strategic. Cameron, especially, liked to issue tactical direction to MOD at times.

... apart from its new-found role on NATO's northern flank in Norway, as planned in EUROPE DEFENDER 20.

... and Iraq, and Afghanistan, and Korea, and ...
The USMC is cutting all of it's tank battalions, which makes facing off against the Russians an iffy affair. They are going to be relying on Big Brother to get armor, and the US Army only has 16 Active and Guard ABCT's.

Latest Threads